Communism vs. Monarchy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Communism vs. Monarchy

I have a large empire (I think about 25-35 cities) and a small military, but I'm about to build up a large military for a large war that will soon come. Which gov is better for me?
    "The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

How much money do you have?
    if you have lots of money I would go for monarchy and if not I would go for communism if i were you.
    Communism can also be usefull if your newly conquered cities are far away and you want to build some culture buildings quickly to prevent flipping, because of its communal corruption.

Comment

It depends somewhat on the layout of your empire (in particular your Palace/FP setup), but in almost all cases I would recommend switching to monarchy once your military buildup is complete.

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

If you don't have many far away cities producing just 1 shield, then switching to Communism is no good. Also you need pop-rush to hurry your improvements, something only feasible if your target cities are big.

Comment

Of course switch to Communism - its makes taking over the world so easy

On that point - this arguement shouldn't be there and its stupid to see monarchy even able to compete with communism. Will PTW have better gov control (like unqiue unit)? - its a vain hope...
          "Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)

Comment

Umm, I beg to differ, NeoStar. I'm not stupid. I do think Monarchy is better than Communism... in most cases, in fact. At least in the games I play, I work hard to get my empire palace and forbidden palace positioned properly so that I have minimal corruption. I play on standard maps, continents. I have never encountered a situation where it would make sense to trade my nearly corruption-less double core of cities for uniform 40% or greater corruption. In the games I've played, switching to communism would have been stupid.

-Arrian
            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
              Umm, I beg to differ, NeoStar. I'm not stupid. I do think Monarchy is better than Communism... in most cases, in fact. At least in the games I play, I work hard to get my empire palace and forbidden palace positioned properly so that I have minimal corruption. I play on standard maps, continents. I have never encountered a situation where it would make sense to trade my nearly corruption-less double core of cities for uniform 40% or greater corruption. In the games I've played, switching to communism would have been stupid.

-Arrian
              I mean that in real world terms they shouldn't be able to compete. That is stupid

I know the corruption effects can make Monarchy better, but (sorry, I like it realistic) I would like to see modern governments superior enough to not have this arguement. Civ would need more govs though...
              "Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)

Comment

Hm, interesting, very interesting....

I would stay with the Ole Commies

Reason si that first off, the communal corruption is great when makign a global assualt, even the best placed palace anf forbidden palace and not supplement communal corruption, infact, if I am in a close game, I ussauly need the extra units communism gives me for more tanks. Also, for example, I am in the North American contenant, I need to go all the way over to the europe to beat the **** out of the Americans, now, a long away accrose the alantic and I realize that conquering their weak impire will hurt my already well places fp and capital, so I switch to communisim in one turn with my religious aztecs, and though communal corruption hurts my home cities, it makes it easy for me to prevent cultural problems, and so after a serious of cold hearted wars on the Americans, Iroquios, RUssia, and China, I controled nearly 70% of the earth map. I simply could not drive myself back into democracy with that war-time flux, that sheer number of cities I had would have made corruption sa bad in those cities, switching to any other government would ahve instantly ruined more then half of my empire, now, you can not say monarchy beats communism in massive global wars where one captures cities instead of razing. (Mind you this was on monarch)

-Ronnie
                "I like to consider myself a virus, I spread and consume natural resources, then I leave my former home baren and cold, what am I? Why, I am YOU !"-Mr. Waffleberry

Comment

Yes, the pop-rush needed for a rush in Communism is one thing I really hate about it.
                  "I like to consider myself a virus, I spread and consume natural resources, then I leave my former home baren and cold, what am I? Why, I am YOU !"-Mr. Waffleberry

Comment

Originally posted by Strakorfsky
                    Yes, the pop-rush needed for a rush in Communism is one thing I really hate about it.
                    Since I have never pop-rushed,* communism forces me to spew out numerous jet fighters for me to fly to the cities needing hurried improvements, where I disband the fighters for 25 shields each.

*(I keep on telling myself I should try that sometime)

Comment

I usually go with Monarchy for my warmonging games. I like my inner core of cities can easily build defender/attacks to support the entire empire (with my outter cities focuising on building inprovment.) Also, i usually (and i think most people do) try do build my wonder in one of my inner cities. Its already hard enough to get a wonder on Emperor and up, so idont want the city that is building the wonder suffering from "communal corruption".

Comment

Working...
                      X