The worst-sounding commonly used word in English language

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The worst-sounding commonly used word in English language

And I don't mean word with the worst meaning, just the aesthetically least pleasing word in the language.

I vote for "probably". Not only does it look stupid, it's pronouncement is an atrocity. It always comes out as something like "rubulubu". I believe it would be best for everyone if it was just replaced with "prolly", with "prolle" for "probable".
    "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
    "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

I think it's busy. I would change the way it is being read to "bazi" instead of "bizi". Also word lorry is very annoying, word "truck" is better. I would also change the way it is read of word nuclear (to naklea instead of njuklea).

Comment

'specific' is an annoying word, if for no other reason that so many people seem to pronounce it 'pacific', like the ocean ... i don't know why, but they do.
      If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic
        I would also change the way it is read of word nuclear (to naklea instead of njuklea).
        [Homer Simpson]Nju-kju-lar, it's pronounced as nju-kju-lar...[/Homer Simpson]

Comment

whistle… such a tinny word!
          "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
          Drake Tungsten
          "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
          Albert Speer

Comment

Lisp, as pronounced by people with a lisp.
            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

"the"
              "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
              "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

Also word lorry is very annoying, word "truck" is better.
                Yes, we all know that Americans are the best. . .

Stefu, my friends and I actually do use "prolly" in place of probably. It's not proper, but people understand it easily, and it really is a better word.
                John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Perhaps even worse is "probability" or "robolobobobo... bo." Should be replaced by "prollity".
                  "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
                  "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

Incidentally is an annoying word.
                    "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                    -Bokonon

Comment

Also word lorry is very annoying, word "truck" is better.
                      Especially when saying: red lorry, yellow lorry. red lorry, yellow lorry. red lorry, yellow lorry. red lorry, yellow lorry. red lorry, yellow lorry. red lorry, yellow lorry. red lorry, yellow lorry. red lorry, yellow lorry. red lorry, yellow lorry. red lorry, yellow lorry. red lorry, yellow lorry. red lorry, yellow lorry.

As is a common practice for speech therapists.
                      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

i loathe the word specific. not to menation the people who have "pacific orders".
                        "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                        - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

rubber baby buggy bumpers

Seriously though, the word "sixth" is probably one of the worst.
                          <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

I've never been a big fan of the word "ill" course it's not as commonly used at the word "sick" but it's used enough that it bothers me.

Well, it bothers me as much as a word CAN bother someone anyway. . .
                            -connorkimbro
                            "We're losing the war on AIDS. And drugs. And poverty. And terror. But we sure took it to those Nazis. Man, those were the days."

-theonion.com

Comment

Originally posted by connorkimbro
                              I've never been a big fan of the word "ill" course it's not as commonly used at the word "sick" but it's used enough that it bothers me.
                              I use it all of the time, like when I'm saying that somebody got ill tore up at the bar last night. It's less ambiguous when used inappropriately, whereas "sick" is sometimes used as a synonym for "disgusting" but is also sometimes used as a synonym for "fantastic."
                              <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Working...
                              X