Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Appeasement: Thoughts on my current game.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Appeasement: Thoughts on my current game.

For you would be Neville Chamberlains out there. On Monarch difficulty and Emperor. What are some good strategies to avoid wars with a powerful neighbor on the same continent?

For instance In my current game playing the Romans, the greeks are polite towards me and I have been allying with him in the past. He is pretty strong, so am I..and egypt is on the same continent and is strong too. My diplomatic reputation is spotless..I have been careful to honor all my treaties thus far to the letter.

Greece has tons of knights roaming around and about 20 cities...I have about 25 cities. Egypt has 9 cities but well developed and technologically advanced. I has some wars with egypt in th epast and allied with greece. Right now Greece, Egypt and myself are all at war with the Aztecs and they are about to be exterminated. I am wary that greece will turn its eye towards me after the war ends (in a couple of turns).

Tech wise I am at exact parity with Greece and Egypt is ahead 2 techs on us. We are up to chivalry and invention.

I guess I need to really start building my military up even more. Egypt is weak compared to me and I am weak compared to greece militarily at the moment.

So what is the best options? Go to war with egypt and get greece to declare? Even tho egypt is kinda strong and might take some of my cities. Or start really trying to bribe greece with luxuries?

What are some strategies to maintain peace until you have superior tech or military factors?

My govt is monarchy too btw. I was considering researchign to Democracy once I have cathedrals in most of my cities, then switching.

I also have all the wonders so far Sun tzus and sistine chapel..looks like cleo will get corpernicus..since she has astronomy.

It seems in situations like this I will have a sneak attack or war declared on me by Greece (even tho my reputation diplomatically is spotless and I have had nothing but good relations with him in past, not even one war with him). Because Greece is really started to build powerful military and land is about all taken on our continent. So something's got to give..and It might be me.

Why don't you start a crash-building program to pump up the number of Knights to 30? If you can't, at least try to get Greeks to attack the Egyptians.

Comment

Something very important happened in this game, since my last post. I played a couple of more turns and a city flipped from the greeks back to the aztecs. I ended up taking the city and conquering it from the aztecs..and also conquering another city. That was the last aztec city as I exterminated the aztecs from the game.

I check diplomacy and greeks have gone from polite to furious with me?

I don't understand. Maybe I am too powerful, or maybe they feel I broke the treaty by exterminating the aztecs? I don't really know what is going on. Anyway now it looks liek I am screwed..I am thinking of attackign the egyptians and trying to get the greeks to declare on them I think that is my only hope now.

Yikes..I am really screwed if they attack me...because I have a ton of undefended cities that have been conquere dffrom aztecs. I blitzkriged the aztecs with knights so I could beat the greeks and egyptians to the punch.

I have like 8 cities I took over most lightly or undefended I am kinda overextended and Greek knights are all over the place..they could wipe out all my gains in a turn or two if they declare war on me...

Yikes..scary stuff...

Comment

Well, if they DO end up declaring war on you, perhaps they will only take some of your Aztec holdings and you will get a peace treaty?

Scary stuff indeed. Surely you are pumping out defenders like there might be no tomorrow. If you pull it off (or even if you don't ) it will surely make for an exciting game!

Comment

How valuable are those Aztec cities to you? If they are those 1 shield cities without much hope for a quick improvement, you may as well let Greeks go after those cities, while you strike the Greek heartland with the bulk of your force. You can also carry out the "scorched earth" policy: sell off all existing improvements, and depopulate the city either by starvation of by building settlers.

Or you can position your force so that you can destroy the Greek tropps with a surprise attack. Once you get your troops in such a position, demand Alex to remove his force from your territory. If he refuses, attack.

Comment

well I rushed a temple in a couple of them to the tune of maybe 500 gold...so they wouldn't flip..they are on the other side of the continent..I guess its all relative.

""Or you can position your force so that you can destroy the Greek tropps with a surprise attack. Once you get your troops in such a position, demand Alex to remove his force from your territory. If he refuses, attack.""

--well I dunno if i have that luxury my forces are badly outta position and he could preempt me..I don't know how many turns IF ANY I have until he decides to clean house..my experience is AI doesn
            t wait around long in these cases...maybe 1 turn.or next turn ..It's on..

I was just wondering if war is the only option now. If someone is furious with you I mean I wonder if its a sure fire thing that he is gonna pull a pearl harbor/ 9-11 on me next turn or not.

Also, I have a right of passage agreement with egypt for one more turn.. I don't think I am decalring war this turn..since I don't want to sully my reputation.

Here are my options:

1.declare war on greece and get egypt to declare..don't know if they will since we are traditional enemies and she is furious at me..but she hates greece more i think.

2. declare war on egypt and sully my rep by breaking rop and get greece to declare.. the catch is..will they declare being furious at me...and do I have enough to bribe them into it.

3. wait a turn and see if greece declares on me...or egypt declares or who knows..

also india/japan/and china are on another continent and they don't have contact with my continent yet (except for me).

Comment

well the games almost over, I wiped out egyptians and greece allied with me.. Greece went from furious to polite during alliance so I guess he was irked due to me owning 2/3rds of our continent.

Comment

You are aware that Neville Chamberlain's appeasement BROUGHT ON a war; it did not prevent it?

Comment

Originally posted by Coracle
                  You are aware that Neville Chamberlain's appeasement BROUGHT ON a war; it did not prevent it?
                  His appeasement policy did not bring on war, hitler invaded Poland on his own accord, the appeasement policy simply failed, it did nothing to bring on war.

Comment

Originally posted by rob.derosa
                    His appeasement policy did not bring on war, hitler invaded Poland on his own accord, the appeasement policy simply failed, it did nothing to bring on war.
                    War was inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachriel

War was inevitable.
                      Just saying he wasn't a direct cause.

Comment

Originally posted by rob.derosa
                        Just saying he wasn't a direct cause.
                        Precisely. Chamberlain was just another victim.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachriel

Precisely. Chamberlain was just another victim.
                          Good

Comment

Working...
                          X