Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Great Leaders: Army/ Heroic Epic vs Forbidden Palace

This seems like a tough call.

When do you decide to use a GL for Forbidden Palace?

In my current game I have a great leader and used him for an army, then on the same turn..I got another one!!! Before I even fought with the newly created army.

My best production city is size 7 and does like 13 shields a turn.

Would you use that second leader to rush the heroic epic?

Also, When would you build a forbidden palace?

it is still in the BCs and all civs are around late ancient age early middle age. Egypt just finished researching currency..that is where the game stands.

I have 4 core cities atm that have decent production/corruption. I just conquered much of america..and have washington surrounded by a few other american cities that I got in a humiliating "VERSAILLES treaty". But it is not THAT far away from my capital..but far enough to be really corrupt it would seem.

How many squares away from your capital should you consider building a Forbidden Palace MINIMUM?

Consider that once built, a FP cannot be moved, while your capital is a fairly mobile thing. I've found myself holding out on the FP until I have the *perfect* place for it (smack dab in the center of the home continent is usually a good spot). It doesn't matter where the palace is located at that point, because my palace will get bounced over to another landmass as soon as I get there. If the landmass is really big, I'd consder the "lobe" orientation (picture a figure eight and place your capital or FP in the center of each loop) which would give me two sections of the home continent which were corruption free and a segment in the middle with reduced corruption due to overlap.

As far as using my GLs goes, I've converted to using the first GL on an army. Getting HE early is the key to leader generation (it doesn't directly improve the chance of getting leaders, but it improves the chance of getting promotions, and more elites give you a better chance of getting leaders).

Unless a really juicy Wonder is up for grabs, my leaders go to Army-HE-FP, in that order.

Comment

Dawidge - I think you've mistyped and got it backwards - HE does nothing for promotions but increases the chances of a leader emerging from a victorious elite battle.

Comment

Depends on the size of my empire.
        If my empire is getting big already, I build the FP at the border in which direction I want to expand soon.

I'm not a warmonger, thus I won't use the army much anyway. I would not ruth the HE for that reason though, and build an army instead of that.
        Formerly known as "CyberShy"
        Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

IMHO:

Early on your cities are bound to be close to one another so it doesn't make much sense to rush build the FP.

Rushing the HE is something else. I guess it all depends on your ability to create more leaders versus armies.

Are you at war with someone so that you can create leaders?

I've gotten lots of armies from villages during the opening stages of games. So if your lucky enough to get an army that way, see to that you win a battle with it and then use any future leaders to rush wonders.

BTW: I haven't had the option to build the FP since the 1.21f upgrade. Anyone else experience this "bug"?

Comment

BTW: I haven't had the option to build the FP since the 1.21f upgrade. Anyone else experience this "bug"?

I play 1.29, and I was able to build the FP.
            Formerly known as "CyberShy"
            Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Re: Early Great Leaders: Army/ Heroic Epic vs Forbidden Palace

[QUOTE] Originally posted by Artifex
              This seems like a tough call.
              When do you decide to use a GL for Forbidden Palace?

How many squares away from your capital should you consider building a Forbidden Palace MINIMUM?

Building the Heroic Epic increases your chance to get a GL from an elite unit from 1/16 to 1/12. It requires 1 army to get the HE. So if you win 48 battles without the HE you will get approximately 3 GLs, with the HE you'll get about 4 GLs (1 to replace the original). If you use a second GL to rush HE, then it will take about 96 battles to replace the 2 GLs. However, this may be offset by the fact that you can only have 1 GL at a time.

Comment

Working...
              X