This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I circumcize my son?

I found out today that we're having a boy, and I think this decision is very important, so I want to have as much time as possible to decide, and who better to ask than a bunch of guys (and some young women with no children)? Seriously though, any moms who want to talk about it have very strong opinions, it's difficult to know what to believe.

My husband was raised Muslim, and he thinks it's completely unnatural to be "intact" (I'm learning the lingo), but I'm not prepared to do something that may be incredibly traumatic just because it seems normal.

I saw this episode of Sex and the City when an uncirc. man decided later in life to have it done, and (of course) it was incredibly painful. Why is that it's OK to do it to infants just because they won't remember the pain?

I'm interested in what people from other countries have to say because I understand it's not nearly as common in other countries.

You don't have to share with us whether or not you are (maybe privately if you're not comfortable), but I would really appreciate it. If you are, are you glad? If you're not, do you wish you were?
    Yes, of course.
    25.32%
    No, why would you?
    64.56%
    Try it on a banana first.
    10.13%
    If playground rules don't apply, this is anarchy! -Kelso

Why don't you let the boy decide later in his life if he wants to be circumcized or not?

There's no medical reason to do it this day and age, just old wives tails in the same vein as "you'll go blind" from certain actions.

If it makes any difference, Canada says you shouldn't circumcize unless it's for religious reasons (or in cases of medical emergencies). The rate of botched circumcisions is higher than any kind of illness that could have been prevented with circumcision (which is pretty pointless these days, what with hygiene and all)
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Asher, would you willingly be curcumcised now?

I can't imagine why anyone would want to be.
      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Oh, and it's medically proven that the foreskin is very sensitive skin and contains lots of nerve endings. Cutting it off reduces sensitivity and therefore pleasure (which is one of the reasons it was instituted in certain religions in the first place -- to discourage playing with it )
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I wouldn't do it. Not that big a deal, but it does apparently adversely affect sensation during intercourse...

I'm all there, BTW.
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski
            Asher, would you willingly be curcumcised now?

I can't imagine why anyone would want to be.
            Perhaps this is the point.

Very, very few people want to be circumcised. The vast majority are butchered by well meaning parents. Of course the people who were circumcised when they were children will insist it's better this way (they'll spew some outdated facts about cancer and infection), when they don't know what they're missing.

Comment

Well...
              1. It isn't as painful for infants.
              2. Women have different opinions on which they'd want their lover to have. In the US at least, most women seem to like it cut. The percentage, though heavily favoring cut now (I think around 75%) has been going down over the past few years.
              3. I'm circumcized and have had no problems. Am I glad though? I don't really know what chances I would have missed. I'm content at least.
              "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
              "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
              "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
              "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Apocalypse
                Well...
                1. It isn't as painful for infants.
                How do you figure? Just because they probably won't remember it means it's less painful? Have you ever been to a briss?

2. Women have different opinions on which they'd want their lover to have. In the US at least, most women seem to like it cut. The percentage, though heavily favoring cut now (I think around 75%) has been going down over the past few years.
                Most women are used to it in the US, that's why. Outside of the US & Muslim countries, most men are not cut and the women's preference reflects that as well...

Comment

Asher:
                  1. It is about recovering time. Infants heal faster and are much more active sooner.
                  2. The poster is from Las Vegas so I am taking that into account. I'm being very objective here.
                  "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                  "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                  "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                  "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                    Why don't you let the boy decide later in his life if he wants to be circumcized or not?
                    Well, I heard (and I don't know if this is true) that the nerves heal better the younger they are.

Comment

I am circumcized, and many times I honestly wish I hadn't been. I have been with guys who are and guys who aren't, and the ones who aren't seem to be able to enjoy things much more.

My brother and his wife had their son circumcized solely for the reason that they didn't want him to be made fun of in the locker room in school. I couldn't believe that--found it appalling rationale. Unless it is for religious reasons, I'd say there's no reason to do it. The day and age when it is so uncommon to be uncircumcized as to be a source of mockery is probably well past us (if it ever was truly here, was it? ).
                      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Yes cut em, I had all my 4 done. The last one didn't turn out too good but hey! That's his problem now
                        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Leave it be. The foreskin's there for a reason (protects the glans and mucous membranes).
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
                            Yes cut em, I had all my 4 done. The last one didn't turn out too good but hey! That's his problem now
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Frogger
                              I wouldn't do it. Not that big a deal, but it does apparently adversely affect sensation during intercourse...
                              Oh come on. Men enjoy sex enough as it is, don't you think?

But seriously, that is important to me.

Although, here in the US, he may end up having less sex because of it. I don't want anyone running in terror. Of course, I don't need superficial girls who don't really care about my son sleeping with him, do I?

Comment

Working...
                              X