Cutting it very close

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting it very close

The situation pictured below will net me TOE and Hoover, although look at my treasury!!

My question is, should I speed production in Shanghai by one turn, or slow production in Beijing by one turn?
    Attached Files
    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Re: Cutting it very close

Originally posted by Theseus
    The situation pictured below will net me TOE and Hoover, although look at my treasury!!

My question is, should I speed production in Shanghai by one turn, or slow production in Beijing by one turn?
    IIRC, ToE gives you the tech you are currently researching plus one more you are free to choose. By speeding production in Shanghai, you would probably end up getting Atomic Theory (which you would get on that turn anyway) + Electronics. By delaying the Beijing production by one turn, you get Atomic Theory (in the ordinary way), Electronic (which you'd go researching after getting AT - from ToE), and something (from ToE, too).

If there was no autosave, I'd play it safely and delay Beijing by 1 turn. Having the autosave, I'd speed up Shanghai, see what happens and tell others! And if, by any chance, I was right in my assumption, than the autosave will be helpful (hell, it was played differently ONLY to see what happens...).

Comment

Slow in Beijing.

What happened to that "spare" leader?

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I don;t have the game here, so I can;t experiment till tonight.

What I'm trying to figure out is the order of events... does research or production happen first?

Arrian, I'll answer the general GL question in the other thread; in this situation, specifically, I had been pre-building the Military Academy in Shanghai, and switched that to TOE. Also, I was like 6 out of 9 turns into Atomic Theory, and figured I could risk waiting a few turns (and I'm not currently at war, so no harm in keeping the GL). Beijing finished a University, and it's a better producer anyway, so I rushed the Academy there... probably a mistake, as 1) I think I'll keep getting GLs, and 2) I should be more focused on building GWs in Beijing.

Anyway, I'm just messin' around with this game. Up to now, it's been all war, all the time... literally.
        The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Comment

I'm not sure about the research/production question, but I *think* it's production.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

This is one of those cases where I think it's fine to
            save and reaload if necessairy without calling it cheating. (intention to cheat is not there IMO)
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

T

Would you mind for the relatively slow among us explaining what steps you would take to speed production of the wonder? It would seem clearly to save you a whole turn of research if you could.

Because you can still research when your treasury is zero, it would seem that you must be able to "earn" the research bucks first, implying production comes first, but that may be all wrong.

Interesting thread.
              Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Comment

I haven't tried this myself, but I can't recall nbarclay being wrong about specific gameplay functions before. From the "If you haven't discovered this, you're misssing out on some serious gold" thread here in the strat forum:

Originally posted by nbarclay
                One last thing worth mentioning for those who haven't tried it yet: in my experience, if you schedule the Theory of Evolution to complete the same turn you discover a new tech, you discover the tech before the ToE is finished. That means you can (for example), finish Combustion, shift to Atomic Theory, get that and Electronics from ToE, and then order research on Refining started all in one turn. Two full techs from ToE and no hiccup in the research schedule. Of course you have to be VERY careful not to finish ToE a turn early or finish the other research a turn late.
                Catt

Comment

I think Nathan posted somewhere recently that he discovered that it's safe finish ToE in the same turn as you discover a tech. Research happens before production.

BTW, I'm enjoying your recent little threads with screenshots from that game, Theseus. Sounds like a good game.

[Edit: Catt, you're too fast for me!]

Comment

Yes, if you finish a tech and ToE you get three techs on that turn. I try to do this when possible.

I think that was the point. If Atomic finishes a turn early, before ToE, what are you going to do with the extra turn??
                    Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by jshelr
                      Yes, if you finish a tech and ToE you get three techs on that turn. I try to do this when possible.

I think that was the point. If Atomic finishes a turn early, before ToE, what are you going to do with the extra turn??
                      Set science to zero and build up more than 6 gold in the treasury!

Catt

Comment

Thanks for all the input! So, leave Beijing alone (for Hoover), and accelerate Shanghai. WOOHOO!!

jshelr, I've got both Beijing and Shanghai on way less than optimal production, incuding starvation, to get the timing I want.

alexman, it was Catt actually that got me hooked on screen shots (which I finally figured out how to do well). Now, whenever I see something interesting, I try to take the shot and put up a post.

Comment

It would appear I was wrong. Not the first time, not the last, that's for sure. I've always timed it so that I get a tech, then have 1 turn at 100% tax while ToE finishes. But if I'm already rich, I've been wasting a turn. *Arrian's knowledge grows* Excellent, Smithers

-Arrian

p.s. Theseus, my friend, you is po!

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian

p.s. Theseus, my friend, you is po!
                            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Catt
                              I haven't tried this myself, but I can't recall nbarclay being wrong about specific gameplay functions before. From the "If you haven't discovered this, you're misssing out on some serious gold" thread here in the strat forum:

Originally posted by nbarclay
                              One last thing worth mentioning for those who haven't tried it yet: in my experience, if you schedule the Theory of Evolution to complete the same turn you discover a new tech, you discover the tech before the ToE is finished. That means you can (for example), finish Combustion, shift to Atomic Theory, get that and Electronics from ToE, and then order research on Refining started all in one turn. Two full techs from ToE and no hiccup in the research schedule. Of course you have to be VERY careful not to finish ToE a turn early or finish the other research a turn late.

Catt
                              I've done this a couple of times. You get the tech before you get ToE, so you can get 3 techs on one turn. If your going to finish ToE before you finish researching your next tech, turn the science slider all the way collect gold and then use ToE to get your tech. This works best if you make this determination before you select your next tech to research, you can get rich quick and not waste any gold on research.

Comment

Working...
                              X