Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ctp Pbem Rankings 28th July 2002

Update on way
    Last edited by blackice; October 23, 2002, 02:53.
    “The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
    Or do we?

Could I persuade you to make a short list, showing which games AND turn you have included? If possible, back to the days, where Gav and you took over.

I think (no, I know) I have at least 1 game and 2 turns to report.
    First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win.

Gandhi

Comment

Last edited by blackice; August 2, 2002, 18:37.
      “The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
      Or do we?

Comment

Thread title edited. Blackice, I'm looking forward to the Pros and Cons thread for me to view when I return.
        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Please take this post as positive as my only intention here is to improve.
          I'm not supporter of current system, but anyway I see room for slight improvement. Namely, point distribution is let say al teast rough. I take myself freedom to try with smother distribution based on log and rounded on four decimal places (for real calculations more places are possible). Blackice could you calculate table on following numbers? I can send you a spreadsheet if needed.

77.9755 22.0245
          62.5349 27.7933 9.6718
          51.9289 28.5521 13.8842 5.6347
          44.3139 27.5811 15.9530 8.3317 3.8203
          38.6124 26.0674 16.7622 10.1116 5.6033 2.8431
          34.1944 24.4497 16.8864 11.1655 6.9819 4.0701 2.2520
          30.6750 22.8914 16.6455 11.7275 7.9455 5.1269 3.1239 1.8643

Comment

Kralj np all input is good input!
            Last edited by blackice; August 2, 2002, 18:38.
            Or do we?

Comment

Last edited by blackice; August 2, 2002, 18:38.
              Or do we?

Comment

Yes, my numbers are percentages.

Whole idea is basic system is unevenly distributed as it is "handpicked". If you draw the lines you'll see what I mean.
                I put it in evenly distributed mathematical form based on log.
                Another solution is of course linear distribution, or any other calculated distribution.

I still don't like system, because I prefer one based on skill and nothin else.

Anyway here is an example of linear distribution.

66.667 33.333
                50.000 33.333 16.667
                40.000 30.000 20.000 10.000
                33.333 26.667 20.000 13.333 6.667
                28.571 23.810 19.048 14.286 9.524 4.762
                25.000 21.429 17.857 14.286 10.714 7.143 3.571
                22.222 19.444 16.667 13.889 11.111 8.333 5.556 2.778

Comment

Last edited by blackice; August 2, 2002, 18:39.
                  Or do we?

Comment

Originally posted by blackice
                    I hate to say it again CTP is not solely based on skill and nothing else.
                    Please just don't say it again. Please.

Having a system based on skill alone simply does not cover all the bases in CTP.
                    But we want to measure skill only, don't we. You can blame luck in one game some time, but not in all games. It will equalise sooner or later. It's skill it matter, or we don't need rankings at all.

You also have to deal with the problems I pointed out above. For an average skill level person playing in a game with very skilled players. It can be very discouraging to be in last all the time and getting whacked in the rankings. Does not sound like fun nor would I blame them for leaving the game.
                    Absolutely not true at all! Probability system do NOT expect lower ranked player to beat higher one. Consequently will NOT whacked his rankings for being last. Just the opposite, even being last he'll lose marginal points, but will be rewarded greatly if unexpected beat higher ranked player.

So by taking more away from the loser and giving it to the winner more imbalance is created and more problems down the pike.
                    You described your system here, not probability one.

Do you see what I am saying?
                    I see it all the time. And I see your perception is totally mist. But you can probably say the same for me.

Comment

Last edited by blackice; August 2, 2002, 18:39.
                      Or do we?

Comment

The system simply does not work for many reasons.

This system is based on the winner not how much the loser losses.
                        Are you sure you understand it? What you are talking is simply not true. The system is not based on the winner. It is based on probability to win. Between equally ranked players probability to win is 0.5 (50%) and probability for higher ranked player beat lower go towards 1 (100%) depending on difference. If higher ranked player actually beat lower one his gain and other lose will be minimal but if lower one beats higher one gain and lose will be huge as probability for such event is very small. It's basically same probability as bets in horse racing, insurance etc. Probability doesn't lie! It is fair and unbiased description. That's the reason system will work perfectly in every of such situations.

Enough said.

Comment

Pete, plese don't forget to have the thread with pros and cons for all the systems up, so that I can take a look after return.
                          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Last edited by blackice; August 2, 2002, 18:40.
                            Or do we?

Comment

Well, here i am, lying on a banana chair sipping a Long Island Iced Tea reading about how i am still number 1 months into my retirement! Well, figuratively, at least

If you like, just so you guys can catch me, i can come out of retirement so my impending thrashing by Mobius in Swissy2 can reduce my score Of course, i would be entitled to claim my repeated bashings of Don in Lungmatch 1.2, although i'm sure i was told once that those scores would be detrimental to my overall score!

In any case, the Lungmatch semis are coming soon, so i would have more chances to score

You blokes are ****house!

Comment

Working...
                              X