Impassable Terrain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impassable Terrain

Is it possible to make specific terrain types (such as mountains) impassable to ground units?
    Up the Irons!
    Rogue CivIII FAQ!
    Odysseus and the March of Time
    I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Make them all 'wheeled'.

BTW I think to get the 'mountain effect' you need to set a terrain's movement cost to 3. Not sure though...
    "Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)

Comment

BTW I think to get the 'mountain effect' you need to set a terrain's movement cost to 3. Not sure though...
      If by the "mountain effect" you mean that cities can't be built on mountains, then all you need to do to get it is uncheck the "allow cities" checkbox when editing the Mountain terrain.
      Civilization3
      This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.
      If the problem persists, please contact the program vendor.
      Blah!

Comment

No, I mean how it stops 'wheeled' units passing over it...

Can anyone confirm that?
        "Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)

Comment

Originally posted by NeoStar
          I never thought about that, but you could be right. Jungles and mountains are the only terrain type with movement costs of 3.

Actually, one could do a little test: Make the settler wheeled, give forests a movement cost of 3 instead of 2 and try to move a settler on forest.

EDIT: Did the test myself. Forests and hills with movement rates of 3 still can be entered by wheeled settlers. 'Wheeled' seems to be hardcoded for 'can't enter jungles and mountains'.
          Last edited by lockstep; July 28, 2002, 08:53.
          "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

Originally posted by lockstep
            'Wheeled' seems to be hardcoded for 'can't enter jungles and mountains'.
            damn shame... hope this gets changed for PtW. We'll be paying for it, so hopefully they can afford to have someone go back and fix this (along with the billion other hardcoded things... infinite RRs anyone?)
            Proud Citizen of the Civ 3 Demo Game
            Retired Justice of the Court, Staff member of the War Academy, Staff member of the Machiavelli Institute
            Join the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game! ~ Play the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game!
            Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Comment

Re: Impassable Terrain

Originally posted by zulu9812
              Is it possible to make specific terrain types (such as mountains) impassable to ground units?
              Stick some water there.

But lockstep is right. Currently there's no way to limit movment on particular types of terrain unless you denote them as 'jungle' or 'mountain'. I doubt they'll change this in PtW either... not exactly the most pressing issue, and there's many more things to be added (diplomacy anyone?), and Jeff said that PtW is nearly finished.

Comment

You can probably use the mountain and jungle terrains for impassibles , and change them to suit your needs.. change their graphics to look like a steep cliff or a crevice/canyon.

It would be nice to have some terrain giving 0 movement restrictions.. for science fiction teleportation or super trains or warp space for spacecraft.

Comment

Working...
                X