Ancient Wonders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancient Wonders

I started this thread for us to begin consideration of what wonders to possibly build in the near future.

Now assuming we want to save our GOlden Age for later that leaves:
    Collossus
    Great Lighthouse
    Great Library
    Great Wall

I think those are all.

Now, Collossus wouldn't be bad, but I think the AI will beat us on it (they're already building I think) so that eliminates it. Great wall would be a waste of time IMO.

That leaves the Great Library which I think is one we must build, and the Great Lighthouse which would be nice to build (fairly inexpensive I think as far as wonders go) but no big tragedy if we don't.
    If you are unable to read this you are illiterate.

Given our current state, and the pressing necessity of waging energetic war repeatedly in the years ahead, do we really imagine being able to afford a wonder effort at all? Only with a great leader, IMO -- and even then, by the time we get one, the Forbidden Palace may be our first priority.
    aka, Unique Unit
    Wielder of Weapons of Mass Distraction

Comment

I'm not saying we'll be build one any time soon as agree there are much more pressing matters. I just started this thread to start discussion on it should the oppuratunity rise.

Comment

Also I think we should creat an army with our first Great Leader. Why? Once the army wins in combat we can build Heroic Epic, which will allow more great leaders to appear.

Comment

I agree on the army suggestion. Since we're not militaristic, the Heroic Epic is vital, and asap.
          aka, Unique Unit
          Wielder of Weapons of Mass Distraction

Comment

I agree on the army, too. I know, everybody around seems to be ahead us in science (not now, due the trades), or will be in few turns. We aren't spend much money on this...
            So, the Great Library could give us a usefull free tech. But all we can see in the next years is war, war and more war, as well said by Robber Baron. Wonders are in the future. Unfortunately, we can't do it now. And I love to build wonders... Sigh...
            RIAA sucks
            The Optimistas
            I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

we're not getting any of those wonders the way i see it.

no one is building the colossus.

the great library would be great, but it would be a huge undertaking. plus, the AI will likely get it before us, and start it before us, and ask soem insane amount of money for it.
              "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
              - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Lighthouse is the best choice (availability and impact), but I think we're not building any wonders soon.

Comment

I don't think we should build any wonders. Great Library might be nice, but we need all our production for expansion right now.

Also, I agree we should form an army with our first GL.

Comment

is it too late for the oracle?

Comment

Even if it isn't too late for Oracle, it would cause an early and unwanted Golden Age for a rather nonspectacular wonder.

Comment

Perhaps if we get a city that's near a river or has an aqueduct (either we'll have to capture one or research the technology) then we might be able to build the great library. 12 pop cities are great for fast wonder completion in the ancient era.
                        "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
                        And the truth isn't what you want to see,
                        Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
                        - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Plan:

a) Win a Battle
                          b) Get a Leader
                          c) Build Great Library with it
                          d) Get *lots* of free techs with it
                          e) Set tax to 100% to strengthen our position at the Diplomacy table
                          f) Get a bit of culture/border expansion in the progress

With the 1.29 patch, it has become harder to research tech. This makes the Great Library more valuable, esp. with 16 Civs around...!
                          Greatest moments in cat:

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX
                            the great library would be great, but it would be a huge undertaking. plus, the AI will likely get it before us, and start it before us, and ask soem insane amount of money for it.
                            Is it only in my games that (warlord and below) the AI *never* researches literature or (everything else) the AI gets is in the middle of the medieval times?

But GL is a must. Seeing as how our tech wont be researched, it will save our economy and keep us up to date....we must get it.

Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                            Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

my vote:
                              first great leader - army so we have a chance of getting more. I like to play the persians, and I have played many games without any leaders (being non-militeristic)

Second leader, or if circumstances dictate, we go for GL as this can be a life saver for our economy.

Third is the lighthouse - to help us find those other 4 civs first and make a huge profit. Also this would allow us to settle those pesky islands frist so that our civ will always have someplace to fall back on.

last, the colosus, but only if we have a high pop city else it doesn't do much.
                              If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

Comment

Working...
                              X