Imperialism Scenario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imperialism Scenario

In the days of civ 2, I ran across a mod which portrayed the world from 1871 to 1914, the golden age of Imperialism. Despite the debatable morals of that ideology in the real world, it's a whole lot of fun in civ. I have been toying with the idea of coming up with a similar scenario for Civ 3 and I was wondering what kind of help and/or feedback i could get for this project since the new patch (which is supposed to include the new editor, correct me if I'm wrong) and then the expansion are looming on the horizon.

Either this or a scenario/mod based on Harry Turtledove's "The Great War" and affiliated books which portray a frightening alternate reality in which the CSA wins the Civil War with British and French help, sending the whole world into the fire by 1914.

Any ideas?

Unrelated: has anyone come up with civ details for Brazil (a possible future world power) or the Plains Indians (Souix, Comanche etc.)?
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

I'be read all of the Great War books (including American Empire) and I think it would make a great scenario. Good luck!
    Overworked and underpaid C/LTJG in the NJROTC
    If you try to fail and succeed which have you done?
    If fail to plan, then you plan to fail

Comment

A Great War scenario would be pretty cool. Either that, or one based on Guns of the South, though this might be a little more difficult to implement given the implications of time travel and all.
      No comment.

Comment

Glad to see I'm not the only one on the planet who's read these books, you two bring the grand total to 4. Would either of you like to help? I have little to no experience with mods, and it would be needed.
        "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I ahven't read the books, but my friend has and he 's told me all about one of, em trying to get me to read it. Little does he know that I'm all backed up on books I gotta read/video games i gotta play/movies I got watch/etc. He was telling me about this one where South Africa goes back in time and gives the south AK-47s so as to preserve slavery. Robert E. Lee becomes president, but disolves slavery anyway or something like that... sounds like a good read. As for the idea in a scenario it would be great. I would also love to see an Imperialism scenario, but perhaps starting in like 1500 and with spain as the dominant power. It would be fun to play England in that one and try to usurp power from spain with privateers and stuff, not to mention some potentially great 'armada' sea battles.

Kman
          "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
          - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
          Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Chandragupta
            Glad to see I'm not the only one on the planet who's read these books, you two bring the grand total to 4. Would either of you like to help? I have little to no experience with mods, and it would be needed.
            I'd be happy to provide feedback or give suggestions.
            No comment.

Comment

Kramerman - the problem with starting in the 1500s is that spain, germany, austria, and the new world would all be united under Charles V at some point. This would be a) impossibly unfair in favor of spain and b)impossible to remedy (i.e. to split up the nations cant happen in civ3 i think). 1871 was the end of the franco-prussian (or franco-german depending on who you're talking to) war which resulted in the official unification of the German Empire. At this point, all the major empires were in existence and ready to roll. Oh, and the Robert E. Lee book is called Guns of the South (also by Harry Turtledove) and is considered his best work. It's not at all related to the Great War, but it's still a good read.

I'm thinking I'm going to do two scenarios, which really wont be that hard. I'm thinking they'll essentially be the same with an extra civ and a few cities/colonies swapped around.

Comment

I've already been working on that exact concept.

But it wasn't a mod, it was a scenario by mike jezsenka (Hope I spelled that right.)
                http://www.ststs.com/CGI_BIN/YaBB/YaBB.pl?board=cut
                Dan Severn of the Loose Cannon Alliance
                ------------------------
                ¡Mueran todos los Reyes!

Comment

Dan - which concept?

Comment

The 1871-1914 Idea.

I'm gettin' along on it.

Not terribly realistic, but I hope it will be fun!
                    http://www.ststs.com/CGI_BIN/YaBB/YaBB.pl?board=cut
                    Dan Severn of the Loose Cannon Alliance
                    ------------------------
                    ¡Mueran todos los Reyes!

Comment

I think fun beats realism any day. The mod that took up countless hours of my life from civ 2 only had maybe 4 land units (5 with engineers i guess) that you would ever really use, and then there were perhaps 4 or 5 naval units, so detail isnt a big concern for me either.

Comment

ive read the first great war book and am reading the second, and have been "into" alternate history for some time.......i also know alot of history, so if you need some questions answered, fire away. i like to think i could be of some help.
                        DEVM SVM
                        I cant think of anything else intelligent...except, check out my alternate history page:
                        Roma Invicta

Comment

I mostly need graphical assistance and statistical research right now (i.e., how big cities were in 1871 and 1914).

Comment

Working...
                          X