Looking for good Roman/Ancient scenario/mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for good Roman/Ancient scenario/mods

First off, I'll introduce myself. I've been playing Civ3 since Oct/01, but actually bought Civ 2 and CTP2 in Sept/01. Unfortunately never installed CPT2 though. I was told about three scenarios/mods for CTP2 which have prompted me to come here; SPQR - Mediterranean, SPQR - Hannibal and Cradle of Civilisation.

The ancient era (say Rome republic > Rome empire) is my main era of interest. ALthough I do play Civ3 I've got no real interest in modern techs and greatly prefer to stay 'way back when'.

I make the assumption that I should learn how to play the game first, and indeed I will. But, when I've got a handle on the game, which of the above three mods that I've mentioned would be a good place to start?

In a perfect world, I'd love to play a grand strategic game of the Punic wars between Rome and Carthage.

Thanks for any pointers, hints, advice or insults

Tom

Well, I can't speak for the SPQR Scenarios, as I have never played them. But I can speak for Cradle...

Cradle is a Mod, in that it does not have any preset cities/maps. The premise is the same as in any default civ game - start out with a lone settler and try to rule the world. Cradle adds to the tech tree/units/tile improvements/buildings/wonders specifically in the Ancient and Medieval ages - so the bulk of the game is played in those eras. (for instance, there are 55+ techs before the Dark Ages) You will also play with actual Ancient civs (there's no Americans, Russians, English, French, etc. although there are the fictional Hexagonians and the Apolytonites)

At 700 turns, you are still in the Early Medieval Age (although Cradle does allow you to also play through the Modern age and beyond.)

And it does have a good AI - much of the work in Cradle was focued on improving the CTP2 AI via text file adjustments and SLIC file additions.

Play at Impossible, with 8+ civs, with Raging Hordes, on a standard Gigantic Map for a challenge...You will not blow though the AI for a very long (game)time using those settings.

Read the comparison thread at the top of this Forum section for a little more insight in Cradle. The main download also has a pdf tech tree/unit chart and a readme that goes into greater depth too.

Look at my signature below for a linkup for the files you will need.
    Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
    ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

First off, welcome to the game and the community!

Well, in your case I would probably start with the SPQR scenarios but don't forget the Alexander the Great scenario that the game shipped with either - it was designed by an Apolytoner (Harlan, maybe you know him from the Civ2/3 community) and it's very good. The reason to try these scenarios first is bcause they are based on the original game and therefore have a much weaker AI than Cradle. Not that those scenarios won't give you a challenge, but once you get used to Cradle you may not want to go back...

Of the SPQR scenarios, you probably want to play Mediterranean first and Hannibal second, since Hannibal is officially still in beta (although it hasn't been worked on in many months), even though it's quite playable...

(You can find the scenarios in the File Database and Cradle on the Land of Hexagonia
      Last edited by Locutus; July 9, 2002, 16:16.
      Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Out of my own curiosity (and probably stupidity ), what does SPQR stand for?

Comment

Thanks for the hints/advice

I never knew that there was an Alexander the Great scenario included, because I never installed the game (sheepish look), but I sure will install it tonight when I get home.

SPQR stands for (my latin is rusty) Senatus Populus Que Romanis. Or "For the sneate and people of Rome'.

Tom

Comment

You guys forgot to mentio the Peloponesean scenario
            "Kill a man and you are a murder.
            Kill thousands and you are a conquer.
            Kill all and you are a God!"
            -Jean Rostand

Comment

Good point, Pedrunn, I had forgotten all about it

But in that case, Ancient Europe, by Savant, and First Days, by Steve5304, must be mentioned as well... All can be found in either the regular or temporary file database...
              Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Working...
              X