Fixing the Road/Railroad Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing the Road/Railroad Problem

I was wondering if it was possible to add/modify worker actions. I think that a way to cut down on the incessant road/RR sprawl would be to make roads and RRs only for the movement bonus, then make some kind of other tile improvement that 's less painful on the eyes to represent some sort of commerce bonus. It's probably not possible (), but I figured I'd ask... if it is possible, then it would be interesting to see how the AI reacted to the change...

you could reduce the commerce bonus that roads/rr's get - but i doubt it'll stop the AI covering the landscape in railroads. As a knind of pseudo-solution, someone came up with a graphics mod that placed a house or skyscraper at every crossroad, so that it actually looked nice and you got a kind of urban sprawl.
    Up the Irons!
    Rogue CivIII FAQ!
    Odysseus and the March of Time
    I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

Originally posted by zulu9812
      you could reduce the commerce bonus that roads/rr's get - but i doubt it'll stop the AI covering the landscape in railroads. As a knind of pseudo-solution, someone came up with a graphics mod that placed a house or skyscraper at every crossroad, so that it actually looked nice and you got a kind of urban sprawl.
      I have that, and it looks pretty nice.

However, I think the problem is that they actually build them everywhere in the first place.. I figured maybe I could trick the AI into building roads only between cities... but I'm sure the AI is hardcoded to have a certain proportion Roads/RR compared with Mines, Irrigation, etc. so you're probably right, and it wouldn't register a 'commerce-only' improvement, and the road/RR improvements seperately. Oh well. Do you know of any way to actually create new improvements? I was looking around the folders and didn't really find anything... I think it's probably hard-coded.

Comment

You can't get rid of the bonus that RR's give.

Comment

The thing is - IRL, populated and industrialised areas like eastern North America, western Europe and Japan do have a sprawling network of railroads. The problem is the ugly RR graphics in Civ 3. There are some mods which make them a little less discrete.
          The difference between industrial society and information society:
          In an industrial society you take a shower when you have come home from work.
          In an information society you take a shower before leaving for work.

Comment

I don't like RR either, at least not the infinite thingy about it.
            But someone suggested getting rid of coal, might have to reballance a few things though.
            Still it could be good
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
            X