Medieval Pack beta 5.0+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medieval Pack beta 5.0+

Note: These changes have been made post-5.0 beta, so they are not part of the 5.0 beta.

Well, I spent this afternoon correcting some info in the readmes, and working on the civ personalities.
    I reverted the civs back to a single personality. (Harlan had given them two personalities, so that we would not be sure who we were dealing with.) This way, people can set up scenarios with AIs types of their choice. I also changed the personality of many of the civs. A list of the civs and their personalities is now given at the end of the Miscellaneous readme.

hi Wes, great work! but...

I get a "gg*.spr not found" message and ctp closes

where * in gg*.spr is: 34, 29, 51, 37, 42, 36, 28, 49, 47, 22, 30, 52, 23, 21. I was able to get the error messages for all of them by creating a copy of another spr file with the name that was asked by ctp. but these are not all, as I got tired of launching ctp all the time and stoped...

Comment

Did you by any chance delete your old medieval folder and make a clean install? In that case you should also reinstall the other two zips with the pictures and sprites. I also didn't think of that until I started the game and got the error messages.

One thing I noticed was at the startup. The title of the mod goes on to the second line and partially overlaps the description of the mod.

Comment

I checked units.txt and saw that the nuke now has SIZE_MED. That means that subs and missile cruisers can't carry it. I don't know if Wes did that on purpose or by mistake, but I don't remember reading anything about it in the Med mod readme.

The Sphinx problem may have been caused by the dummy wonder that Wes created to solve the problem that people wouldn't get a message that someone was building Stonehenge. Wonder.txt now has a double WONDER_SPHINX and the first one of those is the dummy wonder, so maybe the AI wants to build that first Sphinx but can't because it requires some future tech.
        [This message has been edited by Paul (edited June 10, 2000).]

Comment

damn it Wes! I lost 6 hours of my life playing with the medpack!!

overall: awsome stuff!!!
          I think we should rename it to Apolyton Pack v2 and get done with the suggestions for one

one thing: I have to move the pictures to the default folder in order for ctp to see them. I was geting "not found" messages

Comment

Thanks for the cudos, Mark.
            If you want to call this the Apolyton Pack v2, that would be great with me. So many people have helped construct this mod, I sometimes feel odd about calling it my own any more (in spite of what some people keep telling me).
            The way the readmes are set up, I could just adjust some of their titles, and that would be it.

As far as game matters, I have noticed the AIs not building the Sphinx as well, but kept forgetting to address it. I have done so now, so hopefully that little glitch has been fixed.
            I have also changed the Nuke from medium to small. I don't think that I have ever fooled with it, so this must go back to something earlier.
            Lastly, the title of the mod stays on the first line in my game, though the description takes up two lines. Any thoughts on this?

Comment

oops, you're right Paul...
              I've recently made a totally clean install of everything(from windows to ctp, not just the med mod)

"The title of the mod goes on to the second line and partially overlaps the description of the mod."
              I noticed that too

Comment

Downloaded the new beta yesterday and am really enjoying it. Great work!

One strange thing I noticed(and this also happened in the last game I played with the old beta). None of the A1 players built Sphinx. Both games in which this occurred were on regular size maps with 4 other civs. I can't recall the nationality of the A1 civs off hand, but should it matter?

Every other wonder was snatched up as soon as it was available. (I purposely didn't build it myself in one of the games and, sure enough, someone discovered Age of Reason, and noone had built it).

Also, I had tried to start a thread about this awhile back, but I didn't get any responses. Can nukes be loaded onto subs, missle cruisers, etc.? I'm pretty sure this was a feature in the original game, but in a game I actually played that deep into with one of the med betas I was unable to do so.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

This thing crashes after 3 or 4 turns every single time I try to play. I tried on 2 different PC's and still the same thing! I re-installed CTP, updated to 1.2, and put in the 1.21 hack. Then I unzipped the three zip files into my CTP directory and set DebugSlic=Yes. Did I miss a step? Somebody help.

Comment

Markos, when you reinstalled CTP did you not forget to install the 1.21 hack? I did not have any problems with the pictures.

Wes, in my game the first line of the title says "Medieval Pack 3.0 -The Renaissance. One small click for players, one giant leap for" and then "CtP gameplay" comes on the second line, overlapping the mod's description.

Ticktock, what kind of error message do you get? I have had no crashes when playing with the Med mod.

Comment

Paul, yes, I forgot the hack after all. not sure how, I thought i had put it...
                      anyway

Wes,

Comment

Well, to err is human.

By the way, your post looks unfinished. Were you going to ask Wes something? You seem to have a bad day, or should I say a bad weekend, with all those things going wrong.

Comment

Paul,
                          I got a Windows "This program has performed an illegal function" message and in the ctp directory I found a file called CRASH-2F55E08B.DAT with this in it:

>Log started at 02:09AM 06/11/2000
                          > Executable :\ACTIVISION\CIVILIZATION-CALL TO POWER\CTP_PROGRAM\CTP\CIVCTP.EXE
                          > Last Written: 09/07/1999 18:26:18.000
                          > System :
                          > CPU: Intel Pentium II, Model 3 MMX 267Mhz
                          > Windows Version: 4.10 build 67766222,
                          > Computer Name: JOHNWILE
                          > User Name: John Wiley
                          > Physical RAM: 133607424 bytes
                          > Available RAM: 10600448 bytes
                          > Page File Size: 949485568 bytes
                          > Page File Free: 856571904 bytes
                          > Total VM: 2143289344 bytes
                          > Available VM: 2028732416 bytes
                          > Memory load: 92% used
                          > Direct X Version: 0x600
                          > Cur ScreenSize: 1024 x 768

Comment

Just the Windows error message, no messages from CTP itself? In that case I probably can't do very much for you. Just one more question: do you have this only when you play with the medieval mod or also when you play a regular game?

If you keep getting these crashes the only thing I can suggest is that you try to uninstall and reinstall CTP. In the "CTP and patches" thread Skorpion59 suggests that you should play the game at least once and reboot your computer before installing patches; maybe that could help?

If anyone else has better suggestions, please post them here.
                            [This message has been edited by Paul (edited June 11, 2000).]

Comment

Sorry you are having problems, John. Are you using Winzip to unzip the files? Pkunzip will not work properly. You might also want to try the changes recommended in the Misc. readme, since you have an older computer (going by the crash specs you posted). If these don't work, I cannot think of anything else right now that I could suggest.

Btw, I included copies of the original aidata files and the current Med Pack aidata files in the readme folder, so that players could switch them out whenever they wanted. This is especially convenient for people who multi-play.

Comment

Working...
                              X