EU Hypocrisy - Redux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EU Hypocrisy - Redux

Tommorrow is June 26th, the date the Belgian court will decide whether to try Ariel Sharon for crimes against humanity for permitting Christian troops into the Lebanese Palestinian camps in 1982 to look for terrorists, but knowing there was a risk of a massacre, which then took place. Perhaps a 1000 or more died.

However, we here narry a peep from the Belgian court concerning the Dutch officers who handed over the men, women and children of Sebrenicia to Bosnian Serb army commander Ratko Mladic in 1995 knowing there was a risk of a massacre, which then took place. More than 8000 died.

The massacre permitted by the Dutch was orders of magnitude worse than that committed in Lebanon.

But, do we here demands in Belgium and Holland or the rest of of the EU for even-handed justice. NO!

Hyprocrites!
    http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

I find it amazing nobody thinks that the leaders of the militia that actually commited those atrocities should face trial, rather than Sharon. Perhaps Arabs aren't considered as people who are responsible for their own actions?

But you're correct as far as this issue is concerend - if they drag Sharon to court over Saabra & Shatila than surely the Duch commander of the UN garrison of Srebrenica should be there.

See it as a preview of that international war crimes tribunal the EU countries berate you for not joyning - while quitely opting out themsleves.
    "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
    "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

Agreed. I am not going to defend the Christian phalangists nor the Dutch officers. I also think that all heads of state should have immunity from prosecution.
      I refute it thus!
      "Destiny! Destiny! No escaping that for me!"

Comment

Originally posted by moominparatrooper
        I find it amazing nobody thinks that the leaders of the militia that actually commited those atrocities should face trial, rather than Sharon. Perhaps Arabs aren't considered as people who are responsible for their own actions?

But you're correct as far as this issue is concerend - if they drag Sharon to court over Saabra & Shatila than surely the Duch commander of the UN garrison of Srebrenica should be there.

See it as a preview of that international war crimes tribunal the EU countries berate you for not joyning - while quitely opting out themsleves.
        I understand the suit has been filed by 23 Palestinian relatives of victims. The the fact that Sharon is still in power helps explain their "real" motivation, doesn't it?

Which gets back to my earlier point made in other threads on the ICC - what we are going to see are cases filed to harrass the leaders of one's enemies - war by other means. The Belgian statute and the ICC are well meaning, but are going to be abused.
        http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Assuming you are busy writing a scathing denounciation of Israels hypocrisy in their critique of Jurg Heider while allowing a war criminal to be leader of their goverment.

Oh, wait, I guess that would be actual hypocrisy (critizising one persons actions while doing the same thing yourself) as opposed to what you originally posted... Only if the belgian court was conducting genocide themselves while indicting Sharon would it be hypocrisy.

Makes good propaganda though...
          Gnu Ex Machina - the Gnu in the Machine

Comment

*claps the Gnu*

Comment

NOt hypocrasy at all

Well, it seems the definition of this word is not well known at all.....

If a group of Bosnians brings a suit against the Dutch in a belgian court for Srebernitza, and then the Belgians refuse to try it, then THAT's hypocrasy, but if no one has tired to bring the issue to court then becuase they are trying an issue that was brought up and not one that wasnt't, there is no hypocracy present.

Also, heads of state should not be immune for prosecution for acts that are considered war crimes or crimes against humanity, and especially not those commited while they were not heads of state (Sharon was Defense Minister then), but they should be immune fromporsecustion while in power: So I say, get the fat bastard after he leaves power!
              If you don't like reality, change it! me
              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

GePap, should that extend to people who left power and came back? Or dictators who might stay in power indefinetly?

Comment

Well, GePap, you can expect the widows of Sebrenicia to file suit against the Dutch government and field commanders if the Sharon suit goes forward. I have read some stories where they are very angry at the Dutch, and are demanding justice.

Comment

where you go Neddy? Working hard on your condemnation?

Comment

Well, CyberGnu, while the pious Europeans are having a field day condemning America for our refusal to ratify the ICC, at the same time they opt out of responsibility for war crimes during their service in Afganistan.

Now the Belgians may try Sharon for crimes against humanity committed in Lebanon. But again, not one peep from the pious Europeans about their own dirty laundry in Sebrenicia. (If you really are "Europeans," Sebrenicia is a European criminal act, not a criminal act of some clueless Dutch commander.)

Your f*cking piety makes me sick. You have absolutely no right to look down your noses at the rest of the world and tell them about your moral superiority. The EU is filled with hypocrits.

Comment

Originally posted by El Awrence
                        *claps the Gnu*
                        Are you appauding him, or striking him?
                        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

And how could this even be EU hypocricy? AFAIK the court isn't a EU-court, or am I wrong? It's after all International not European.
                          Last edited by Kropotkin; June 26, 2002, 02:40.

Comment

Kropotkin,

Technically, it is not a EU court. It's a Belgian court. Belgium is a member country of the EU.

In your new structure, I am not sure how much authority the EU has over Belgium. But certainly, if a Belgian court can try Sharon for acts done in Lebanon against Palestinians, it can try the Dutch for acts done in Bosnia against the Moslem residents of Sebrenicia.

This should have the EU concerned. One member country trying another's member country's political leadership for crimes against humanity?

Comment

Not technically a EU-court. Neither in reality.

Obviously they should be able to try the dutch. Why that hasn't happend I don't know and I don't think they could actually get Sharon guilty as far as I've heard about that case there's no direct evidence.

It's still not EU-hypocrisy. This constant H-word calling starts to be though....

Comment

Working...
                              X