Americans: where do your ancestors come from

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Americans: where do your ancestors come from

I specify Americans only becuase the majority of Europeans trace their family lines to the same nation and even the same area of the nation that they live in now...

...but for the Americans I am asking where your ancestors lived before coming to America...and be as specific as possible!

Apparently my grandfather on my mom's side was from near Sligo, Ireland...right on the Donnegal. The majority of my Grandmom's family came from Heidelberg, Germany.

on my dad's side - my grandmom's family came from Barbados (which probably means they were slave owners ), further back from near Manchester...my grandfather's family from northwestern Germany (but no idea on a town or anything...)

so I'm about 50% German, 25% Irish, and 25% English
    "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
    You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

On father's side: Spanish and Native American.

On mother's side: Basque, French, Greek, Irish, Scottish and English.

Which makes me a weird mix of nationalities.

Comment

Orange, we have about the same ethnic make-up, though for me it's 50 German, 25 English and the rest Irish and Scottish.

My mom's first ancestor in America came on the Mayflower, Mr. Miles Standish. Her side is where most of the English/Irish/Scottish come into it, though there's some German later on as well.

My dad's first ancestor was a Prussian farmer. He came to America in 1750, fleeing a death warrant for poaching on the king's grounds. He set up a farm in rural Pennsylvania, and the original farmhouse he built is still standing. My dad and his cousin visited it last summer and got some cool digital pics. After a few generations, however, they left PA and went west to modern-day Indiana, which is where my dad is from.
      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

hey, what's wrong with PA

That's very specific Boris...cool!
        "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
        You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

My nationalities are similar in % to that of Boris and Orange.

Fathers side.... All German.
          Mothers side... Irish, English and Scottish.

50% German and about an equal distribution of the other 50% from those 3 nationalities.

MightyTree is probably a second or third cousin to me... :-P~~

Good thing he doesn't read this forum.

Comment

Mostly English, German and Ukranian (or something)

some french, american indian (I think), and a bunch of other stuff

I can trace my family back to france in the 1300s and had an ancerstor arrive on the mayflower (never asked who)

I am also related to an early colonial governor (Bradford?), sir Francis Drake, and a dutch princess (I think) among others

Jon Miller
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

BTW

I have lots of I thinks and the like because I don't remember exactly what I was told

Jon Miller
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I'm Canadian, but I'll answer anyways.

Russian Jew (3/8) - I have no idea where my 3 Russian great-grandparents lived.
                German Jew(1/8) - Duisburg
                Lithuanian Jew (3/8) - Dorbyan
                Polish Jew(1/16) -
                Ukranian Jew (1/16) - Beranovici

Pretty much all of my ancestors came to the US in the 1880s and thereabouts, though I have a great-great-grandparent who lived in Iowa before that. Here is how my grandparents and great-grandparents got to Canada:

EDIT: I had a number of the details wrong, and needed to consult records.

Mother's side:
                My grandmother grew up in Sydney, NS. Her mother grew up in Manhattan's Lower East side. My grandfather grew up in Woodstock, NB, and he met my grandmother in Halifax, NS where she still lives.

Father's side:
                My grandfather is from New Brunswick, NJ (IIRC Imran's hometown.) My grandparents met in Denver, and married (causing a stir because my grandmother was a German Jew and my grandfather was a Russian Jew). My grandfather then got ordained as a rabbi, and they moved to Baton Rouge, Louisiana. After deciding it was too warm there, settled in Hamilton, ON where they live to this day.
                Last edited by Goingonit; June 24, 2002, 00:09.
                I refute it thus!
                "Destiny! Destiny! No escaping that for me!"

Comment

I'm 100% Bengali, AFAIK. Both of my parents are from Dhaka.
                  "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                  -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo
                    I'm 100% Bengali, AFAIK. Both of my parents are from Dhaka.
                    My ancestors come almost entirley from the British Isles, thought there is supposedly a Native American in there as well. There's a very old, pre turn of the century, photograph in our collection in which one woman was always identified as this Native American relative. From the looks of her nose though I'd guess that her ancestors hailed from a tribe that originated on the other side of the Atlantic....South Atlantic, that is.
                    "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

25% Polish, 25% German, 25% Czech, 25% Welsh.... I burst into flames on contact with the Sun. And I'd be hard pressed to look more Jewish.
                      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Irish, English, Jewish mostly with a whole lot of other stuff thrown in, as I have ancestors going back to the 1600s.
                        "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

1/2 White Russian (Pripet Marshes)
                          5/16 German (SW Germany)
                          1/8 Italian (near Rome)
                          1/16 Irish (County Consomething)
                          Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

I am not fractionalized. I am me.

However, as someone born and living in America (the landmass, not the country) I'll see if I can remember where all the progenitors are from.

Mother's father is German. Family been in America for a very long time. One of the relegious sects that settled in Pensylvania. They call themselves the Pensylvania Deutch.

Mother's mother was Scottish. 2nd or third generation IIRC.

Father was French. Very. Family among the first French inhabitants of Quebec.

My roots run deep. I can never understand it when people say I am not a native of this land. Where else am I supposed to go?
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Mother

Irish-Family is traced back to the Revolutionary War. One of my ancestors was captured by the Brits and imprisoned on The Jersey a prision ship. He survived to live a little after the war.

Choctaw-My great grand mother was half Choctaw when she married my great grand father.

more on The Jersey http://www.publicbookshelf.com/publi...seybri_jc.html

Father

Irish-Came to American in the mid 1800's.
                              English-From what I gather there is some English blood running through me.
                              Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Working...
                              X