error in civilization3.exe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• error in civilization3.exe

Now that I got it to load and run after a few turns I got an error in civilization3.exe I have run the newest patch and will try to play again when I get home from work. any ideas.

dude - we need more info. Sys. specs, drivers updated? is the game modded in any way? Did you do a full or compact install?
    Up the Irons!
    Rogue CivIII FAQ!
    Odysseus and the March of Time
    I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

error in civilization3.exe

system specs:
      1.4ghz 266fsb tbird
      512megs of 2100ddr
      elsa 920 gladiac gf3
      soundblaster x-gamer
      epox 8k7a+ mb with onboard raid
      windows me
      probably something else that I can't remember right now
      also I can't seem to upgrade to xp and I suspect it has to do with the raid.
      I tried a reformat and install before any norton software was loaded but it would lock up at the first firaxis screen.
      I was able to load up and run the game with my plextor but the kenwood 72x would lock it up everytime when I loaded it with it.

Comment

I may have seen this one, you get a message about the .exe when you try to start the game, right? I found that if you search for ALL files on your harddrive after installing the 1.21 patch, there is still an .exe file for the older patch(s). Delete this file (like I did) and see if the "conflict" as I suspect it is, goes away. Hope this helps, I've been playing well with the 1.21 patch ever since.

Comment

By another .exe file for the older patches, do you mean entries in the Add/Remove programs area? I found some for 1.16 and 1.17 after installing 1.21.
          |"Anything I can do to help?" "Um. Short of dying? No, can't think of a |
          | thing." -Morden, Vir. 'Interludes and Examinations' -Babylon 5 |

Comment

Originally posted by Sinapus
            By another .exe file for the older patches, do you mean entries in the Add/Remove programs area? I found some for 1.16 and 1.17 after installing 1.21.
            He means the actual file. You will have to do a file search in Explorer. Do a search for Civilization3.exe and if there are two instead of one it could be the problem that he is talking about. The cause I guess would be that the game was installed in different folders.

Comment

This is not an isolated incident. Firaxis needs to fix this bug because there are tons of people getting the same crash.

Comment

Originally posted by Ethelred

He means the actual file. You will have to do a file search in Explorer. Do a search for Civilization3.exe and if there are two instead of one it could be the problem that he is talking about. The cause I guess would be that the game was installed in different folders.
                You are correct about the method I'm suggesting, thanks for filling in for me. About the different folder though, I have a different explanation. When I was fooling around with this bug I was reinstalling the entire program/patches into the same folder. I believe and have observed evidence to support that the problem is that the Patches themselves just don't do a good job getting rid of the older files (at least under certain circumstances). THIS problem could be XP related, I'm running XP also. FIRAXIS: I'm having lots of fun with the game, but please make sure the patches are good at cleaning up after ALL possible earlier patches. Otherwise, let us know how to clean install ourselves without a hitch. ...I suspect this is the bug which we are hoping the 4th patch fixes. I have to admit, the game is running fairly smoothly (1.21 clean install, old patch search & delete as above) and the game balance finally feels reasonable, now that I can actually acomplish something by building a courthouse!!! I would like everyone to know that despite my gripes (which I know are common) and disappointments with many aspects of the original release (rushed by about 6 solid months), that CivIII IS the pinnacle of my PC gaming experience to date and I am savoring the few hours I am able to play it each day. It is a masterpiece which was not polished, but its getting close. I'm eager to see the result of the 4th patch.

Comment

Oh, one other thing, I suggest searching in explorer with just "Civ" in either the file name contains field or file contains field, this will snag all possible culprits. I'll let you all know if I run into any more bugs in my currently active game.

Comment

It's not a XP only problem. I get the same crash on Win2k and heard of other people getting it on ME and WIN98SE.

Comment

Working...
                    X