-Cannon
    -Helicopter
    -Stealth Fighter
    -Cruise Missile

Intelligence-
    -Steal World Map
    -Expose Enemy Spy
    -Steal Plans
    Last edited by m_m_x; June 9, 2002, 09:41.

And WHY do these thins need to be tweaked?

Comment

IMHO they dont add much to gameplay,i can play a whole game without using them...so tweaking them a bit can make them much more valuable and useful.

Comment

dp,.
        Last edited by Inverse Icarus; June 9, 2002, 13:31.
        "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
        - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

well, i always think of MP. it's all i really consider when thinking about game features.

fortresses will be VERY useful in MP, especially since you cant build cities on mountains.

i agree, i never use colonies.

i use coastal fortresses just to take shots at stupid AI boats bombarding random shore tiles. they dont have any upkeep anyway.

i use scouts when i play as expansionist, but it's not often (too weak of an ability).

explorers can pillage / all as roads. thats basically it. i see the whole world by the time i get them, but you got to think, trading maps with humans might not happen as often as with AIs, so they might actually be helpful in MP.

catapult. only built 3 in all my civ games. 2 were to test if lethal bombardment worked.

privateer. dont like em. might be funny in MP if used in swarms.

cannon. i use these a lot.

heli. dont use it too often, mainly just for "annoyance" tactics. might eb fun in MP to drop infantry on mountain tiles, or strategic resources.

Stealh Fig: dont care enough to use them

cruise missle: i increased the range and gave it lethal sea bombard. works great.

i dont use any espigionge because its too expensive and it sucks.
          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
          - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Double post.

Comment

Re: things i rarely use in "civ3" maybe change/modify needed in "ptw&

Originally posted by m_m_x
              terrain feature:
              -colonies
              -fortresses
              -costal fortresses

units:
              -Scout
              -Explorer
              -catapult
              -Privateer
              -Cannon
              -Helicopter
              -Stealth Fighter
              -Cruise Missile

Intelligence-
              -Steal World Map
              -Expose Enemy Spy
              -Steal Plans
              I have to say armies/leaders for the most part. I want to be able to use leaders domestically other than wonders, and I want armies (and fleets/airwings or whatever) to do something more.
              "What can you say about a society that says that God is dead and Elvis is alive?" Irv Kupcinet

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown

Comment

Colonies are useful in certain situations. Fotresses can be a godsend sometimes, and will be used in MP.

The mod I play with certainly improves Helicopters, Cruise Missiles, Marines, Paratroopers and subs.

Intelligence - kinda useless often, but I've made it somewhat cheaper in my mod to balance the usefulness with cost.
                Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Actually, play on 3-million-year-old maps and colonies are a lot more useful, because you can get some HUGE mountain ranges that would take millenia to incorporate within your cultural border.

Catapults suck, but if you have any production to spare (yeah right, heh), build as many as you can; the upgrade to artillery is terrifyingly effective.

Comment

I asked Firaxis if they are going to address the issue of ridiculous espionage costs and they just said we can change it in the editor.
                    Grr!
                    http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Unless something is really unbalanced, Firaxis will not change a default value that can be changed in the editor. They like the way the game plays.
                      Seemingly Benign
                      Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

Well, I agree with m_m_x except cannons.

Comment

Originally posted by monkspider
                          I asked Firaxis if they are going to address the issue of ridiculous espionage costs and they just said we can change it in the editor.
                          Grr!
                          Well, assuming that you can, why is that a problem?

As for the list of things to be tweaked:

-colonies : Definitely something I don't use at all.

-fortresses : I sometimes find fortresses useful. And their use will increase in multiplayer.

-costal fortresses : No upkeep, takes shots at enemy ships. Reduced need for a navy to protect nearby coastal waters (hate having to build navies). Maybe it should give bombard units inside an increased range, and lethal bombard, even when lethal bombard is off.

-Scout : Hardly use expansionist civs, but extensively use scouts in the case that I do use an expansionist.

-Explorer : Fast, treats terrain as road. Can pillage terrain improvements. Even if they come too late to "explore" as such, they still have this use.

-catapult : I agree that until the artillery, bombardment units are somewhat useless.

-Privateer : Agreed again. Maybe if a system to upgrade the stats of existing units were to be implemented,
                          I might use them later into the game.

-Helicopter : Agreed. Don't know how it could be more useful.

-Stealth Fighter : Again, agreed.

-Cruise Missile : Yet another one I agree with.

-Steal World Map : Definitely an unused option. I usually find it cheaper to just buy their maps legit.

-Expose Enemy Spy : If the AI used spies, this would help. But it doesn't, so it won't help.

-Steal Plans : I use these before an invasion against an even enemy, so that I can pick out the best city with which I begin my campaign against them. Especially if they are overseas, and need a good beach head.
                          "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
                          "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
                          "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

The fact that you (m_m_x) don't use the above strategies/units/whatever dosen't necessarily render them useless. Someone else might use completely diffrent strategies and could find them usefull.

Besides, a game where only the best units and strategies are available would be quite dull.

Comment

Originally posted by mwaf
                              The fact that you (m_m_x) don't use the above strategies/units/whatever dosen't necessarily render them useless. Someone else might use completely diffrent strategies and could find them usefull.

Besides, a game where only the best units and strategies are available would be quite dull.
                              maybe the topic was to selfish but i just wanted to share my thoghts with members here ,u can agree or disagree with me.and if someone else find this things useful, he can share his strategies.

Comment

Working...
                              X