Dungeon Siege

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dungeon Siege

Anyone here tried Dungeon Siege? I don't have the full game, just the demo. The game looks good, but I'm a little concerned with replayability.
    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

I'm concerned about replayability too.

I have the full game and so far the single player campaign has been a lot of fun (I'm about 40% through it now).

However, I don't think I'll want to play through the single player campaign again ... it's not that good, and I really don't like the sound of multiplayer.

We'll see.
    If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

The demo was fun, but I am worried about the prospect of later battles with 8 people being on total autopilot, where my only job is to arrange equipment and hit the "drink healing potions" button. Still, I might buy it later just for that.

The odd thing is that while they made 8 players manageable, it kind of makes multiplay not as interesting because there's not as much you can do with just micromanaging one character other than clicking on what you want to kill. Sure, managing 8 Diablo II characters would be nuts, but managing one is fine, and there's the whole skill tree to have fun with.
      All syllogisms have three parts.
      Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Comment

You guys should really try Morrowind.
        Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

I didn't really think I'd enjoy it that much but it can be quite addictive. The terrain graphics look absolutely fantastic.
          I still remember the first time I saw the mists rolling off the walls in the ice caves, and the majesty of the desert cliffs. Breathtaking.
          The Editor is supposed to be one of the best ever and there are already almost three dozen major mods underway just at PlanetDS.

FP - Beware of Goblin-bots with flamethrowers and lightning guns!

Tuberski - Doesn't Morrowind have pretty formidable system req's?

Comment

Replayability

I'm told by others who have the game that the key to replayability is the multiplayer option and the increased map size (apparently there is some sort of infamous Chicken Level easter egg there). However, I've never been much of a multiplayer user. It is hard enough for me to schedule time to play by myself. I guess the key for me is the number/quality of the mods that come out.
            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by ravagon

They're evil little S.O.B.'s aren't they? It's not so much the gobbot things themselves as those big tank-like things they have hanging around them that cause all the trouble. If I'm not careful about where I position my mages then they get burnt o a crisp in about 0.654 seconds.

I like the sound of Morrowind, but my PC won't be able to run it (at least the one I have at University won't ...) so I haven't been able to give it a try yet.

When Neverwinter Nights comes out I'll probably get it because it looks pretty cool. (I can always get a full refund from EB within 10 days if I don't like it).

I'm not playing much Dungeon Siege at the moment, though, I'm busy with other things. (see my Sig )

Comment

Originally posted by ravagon
                I didn't really think I'd enjoy it that much but it can be quite addictive. The terrain graphics look absolutely fantastic.
                I still remember the first time I saw the mists rolling off the walls in the ice caves, and the majesty of the desert cliffs. Breathtaking.
                The Editor is supposed to be one of the best ever and there are already almost three dozen major mods underway just at PlanetDS.

Tuberski - Doesn't Morrowind have pretty formidable system req's?

Required is 500 MHZ, 128 Meg of RAM, 32meg video card.

I have all of that except my video card is only 16 meg.

I can get it to run, but I had to shut off the sound(which doesn't matter, because I play next to my sleeping wife. )

It does recommend an 800 MHz comp, with 256 Meg RAM
                Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski

Required is 500 MHZ, 128 Meg of RAM, 32meg video card.
                  That's it?! Damn. I thought I'd seen something like 800MHz and 256 or even 512 ram posted somewhere ...

Wonder if it'd run on my 450? The other specs are adequate ...

Comment

Well rav, those are the 'required' system specs ... to get it to run at a good speed on that system you'd prolly have to turn lots of the effects off.
                    As Tuber said, the 'recommended' specs are 800mhz, 256meg RAM. I suspect you'll have to be closer to this end than the other in order to run it at a decent speed.

Does anyone know when this comes out in England? I don't think it's out now, but I could be wrong ... I frequently am.

Comment

Re: Dungeon Siege

Originally posted by pchang
                      The game looks good, but I'm a little concerned with replayability.
                      I think the game is quite good so far. Very hack and slash, but fun nonetheless.

I think you'll get your replayability from the Seige Editor they plan on releasing at some point. There are even Ultima mods in the works. That's half the reason I got the game was for the various mods.

Comment

Yeah, being a bit below the recommended is usually fine, but "required" generally means "can run the game" with no statements about quality. Better just to wait.

FrustratedPoet: "See my sig." Hehehe. I know I went into hibernation for a few weeks or so with that. Probably my favorite of the series, actually.

I assume they kept the same voice actors as the American version?
                        All syllogisms have three parts.
                        Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Comment

I'm running it on a P3 733, 256MB and GEforce 3 with most of the features turned on or at a reasonable level. I think though its the Geforce3 that makes the difference rather than the memory or processor.
                          Haven't got far enough in yet to think about replaying but there seem to be mods appearing already.

Comment

System Requirements, from the box:

Win XP/2000/ME/98, 128Mb RAM, processor 333Mhz, video card 8Mb/3D.

The requirements aren't all that steep, of course, with a computer loke that you'll have to run in 640x480 I would think.

I have a 750Mhz PIII with 256Mb RAM and a GeForce 2 GTS card. I am running at 1024x768 (16bit) with all detail levels maxed out, I have frame rate turned on so I can see how the game is performing. Once in a great while it will slow to around the mid 20s but most of the time it is somewhere between 40-50 FPS.

John-SJ

Comment

Working...
                            X