Fair is Fair, a question for Europe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fair is Fair, a question for Europe

All this talk of a unified Europe who's goal is to compete worldwide with the US and other Large Countries.

Question, to keep things fair, would Europe be willing to unite in the UN and only have one vote? A unified Europe would be about the same size and have similar economic and miliatry strength.

If you're looking for parity with the US, this would be a step in the right direction. Anything else would be hypocrisy. (please ignore the last sentence but I couldn't resist ).

Would this change how you view the UN?

RAH
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

If Europe were to combine into one political entity (read: unified government), then they should have to drop down to 1 vote in the UN. But the EU is merely an economic union (NAFTA on 'roids?), so no need to give up those votes just yet.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Well, it's obvious we'd do like Soviet Union and organize the UN to give a province or two a vote in the General Council.

And I don't believe that it'll come to one big United States of Europe. Nations will retain at least a modicum of independency - enough for them to call themselves nations and, well, retain seats in UN General Council.
      "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
      "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

Good question. The answer is probably "not without a fight", because we're a stubborn bunch of gits when we want to be.
        "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

France will never give up. They will insist on calling their nation seperatly, no matter how close the EU gets
          If it is no fun why do it?
          Live happy or die

Comment

If Europe did agree to reduce it's vote to one.

Do you feel you would be properly represented? Or would your needs be lost among the masses of third world countries?

RAH
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Wow! Very good question rah... (but you can tell us... did the ferrets tell you to write this one... we won't squeal ).

If Europe becomes fully integrated under one government, then yes, they should give up all the other votes in the UN except one. However, I'm not sure it will ever come to that. It will end up like the US's Articles of Confederation, but looser.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

And the Arabs will have half of the votes? No thanks.
                "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Not like the Euros don't already vote with the Arabs on the ME Conflict, Eli .
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Not if Europe would still have a 'veto' in the Security Counsel, as a permanent member.
                    (not that I think France or U.K. will ever give theirs up)
                    "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                    "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

I guess the EU should be limited to one vote, but it's all so hypothetical because I don't see the EU countries harmonizing their foreign policies and abolishing their independence completely within the next 20 years. But of course, you never know.

Comment

The EU mandated what a sausage was, and "bangers" wern't. Theres your independent states. You've got 10 years before you're using the flag the Dutch guy designed (the bar codes).
                        We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                        If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                        Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Perhaps the United States is entitled to 50 votes in the UN for each state of the United States to be consistent with each EU country entitled to one vote.

A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Yes, I believe that Europe should have one veto in the security counsel. That would be fair and equal to that of the US.

RAH
                            Imran, ixnay on the erretsfay. We knocked off RAH over the weekend and have hijacked his machine. Vito......
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I knew it!

Comment

Working...
                              X