• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOD: The Ancient Mediterranean MOD 0.2.2

Download

Install:

Conquests
    Install it into your CIV3\CONQUESTS\CONQUESTS folder. You will get errors if you do not install it into this exact folder!

Play the World
    Install it into your CIV3\CIV3PTW\SCENARIOS folder. You will get errors if you do not install it into this exact folder!

Plain Vanilla Civilization 3
    Install it into your CIV3\ANCIENT MEDITERRANEAN folder. You will get errors if you do not install it into this exact folder!
    Mac users click here.

Other Stuff:

Justus II has compiled all the data you need to understand the MOD in one Excel file, as well as in a website.

Ankhenaton wrote:
    "To all of the newcomers to the mod: This mod is incredibly well-balanced as it is the sum of a collaborative effort by dozens of individuals giving their input as to recreating a very accurate simulation of Ancient World interaction amongst the various civilizations. This mod is far superior to the unbalanced main game and it ranks up there within the top five civ mods for uniqueness and playability. I love this mod so much that even though I bought the Conquests expansion I have yet to play it. In my opinion the civ franchise should concentrate more on the Ancient World aspects of the game than it does right now. But if you must have an Ancient to Modern game then play TETurkhan's mod/scenario that is almost as good as TAM."

Proto-Elamite Taurus says:
    Check out the various sections in this forum for all the information on changes in the MOD. You can learn about the new civilizations, about the ages and technologies of the Ancient Mediterranean world, as well as the CIV-specific abilities, which is a complete novelty in any Civilization 3 MOD! I also recommend that you read a few tips and tricks on how to deal with all this new stuff. We've also compiled some Historical information for you. And if you have a comment or you found a bug, feel free to post it.
    Last edited by thamis; June 15, 2009, 05:51.
    My websites:
    - Ancient History Encyclopedia
    - The Ancient Mediterranean Mod
    - What is my search ranking?

We now have two threads at the same time. If you have any ideas or questions, maybe look at the CivFanatics-thread first:

CHECK THE MAIN FORUMS FOR MORE INFO!

Last edited by thamis; April 29, 2004, 12:21.
    My websites:

Comment

Why do all the units have 4 stats

Comment

As I wrote:
        Shield Cost/A/D/M
        My websites:

Comment

Version 0.2.3 Patch

Check out the first page of this thread for the new update. :jump:

Special thanks to all contributors, especially to Ad Hominem and Harlan!
          My websites:

Comment

The Tech Tree
            My websites:

Comment

Looks cool, Ive always wanted more flavor in playing ancient times. Rushing a million of unit x can be tedious :-/.

Good Work!
              "What can you say about a society that says that God is dead and Elvis is alive?" Irv Kupcinet

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown

Comment

How come that apparently nobody at Apolyton is interested in this mod and on CivFanatics many people are...
                My websites:

Comment

I'm interested in your mod. However, is it safe to download without making back-up files? And what are the exacr steps to get it ready for play?
                  "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
                  --P.J. O'Rourke

Comment

Sean: You have to back up files. I specified which files and folders you have to back up in the main thread. You can also use Wiwi's ModManager (how to do it is explained in the ModManager).

You can get it to run by first copying the specified files and folders to a different location or just by renaming them to *.old. This means that you have a file like CIV3MOD.BIC. Start the explorer, select the file, press the F2-key and typie in CIV3MOD.BIC.OLD (and do that will all the other files and folders as well).

THEN you extract the Ancient_Mediterranean.zip to your CIV3-directory (usually C:\Program Files\Infogrames Interactive\Sid Meier's Civilization III or something similar). Also, download the latest update and extract it as well (if it asks you to overwrite files, klick YES).

THEN start CIV3 normally, select "Load Scenario", select "Ancient Mediterranean" and play it.

You can also correct starting positions. Use the CivPlacement Tool (there's a link in the Ancient_Mediterranean.zip to it). How to do it is explained in the CivPlacement Tool.
                    My websites:

Comment

i was looking at you civ specific units and you said you needed some ideas for some of them. I noticed the Dacians had none. I know from my history that the Dacians were infamous from the Roman's point of view for their very effective horse archers. Oh and under Greece you have the Trojan Horse? I'm not sure how this is used as a special unit but I cant wait to find out. If it is of any interest to you, Alexander the Great was the first of the ancient western civilizations to use heavily armed and armored cavalry known as cataphracts. This is a potential special unit. For the Huns they were very skilled warriors on horse back in addition to their horseback archery that i see you have noted. Anyway im a huge fan of ancient times and cant wait to get started on this mod. It looks like from what ive read you put alot of time into this and i thank you for posting it.

Mad props

jm
                      "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
                      - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
                      Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

Kramerman:

The Trojan Horse is no longer included. I have to take it out of the list. I will give the Horse Archer to the Dacians as well.

We have the Hetairoi Cavalry for the Macedonian Greeks. I guess it's similar to the Cataphract.

More unit additions and some rule changes are coming soon.
                        My websites:

Comment

I only don't get one thing:

How to get the modmenager.
                          I'll be thankfull if somebody can tell me that and guide me through the install prosidure

Comment

Kramerman

Cataphracts (Greek for "all sealed" meaned "all armoured") have absolutely nothing to do with Alexander's cavalry.

The cataphracts were introduced into the Seleukid army in the Hellenistic era. They were very heavy armoured cavalry - both the rider and the horse. They were slow and got teared apart many'o'times because of their lack of maneuvering ability and speed.

OTOH, Alexander's cavalry was very light armoured. Their effectiveness was due to superior offensive weapons (a cavalry version of the sarissa long spear), tactics (Alexander was a great tactician and especially effective in using combined arms) and training (the Macedonian hetairoi cavalry consisted of the local nobility, who had much time in hand to practice the art of war).

Great job Thamis. BTW Ad Hominem told me that he had no time at hand the past few days , he'll try to deliver tommorow

Comment

I find that you map and mod is very good of what I read but I am having trouble downloading it.

I am making a scenerio of the mediterrean sea too but a different map. And a few differents civs. I like you mod pack the best and I want to use some of it in my scenerio. Would you let me use some of your art? I know very little in the art making. I would also want to use your technology list too.

The mediterrean cenerios are good because it just starting civs and there aren't too many wars and units to confuse the (new) player. What I mean is a scenerio like World War II is in the middle of battles and you need to study that game for awhile. Another cool thing is ships and boats are more useful in the mediterrean map which is a very different thing yet there are still land movements.

In case you wondering I have my mediterrean map (What I have made so far) in the creation section. I think it mighted have moved to files.

S. Jennings
                              "The truth is more important than the facts."

Comment

Working...
                              X