No announcement yet.

MOD: The Ancient Mediterranean MOD 0.2.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm currently working on a C3C version, and it has been updated to version 2.1 (dunno which your last version was). Just check the site to find out! :-)
    My websites:
    - Ancient History Encyclopedia
    - The Ancient Mediterranean Mod
    - What is my search ranking?

Comment

Originally posted by thamis
      I'm currently working on a C3C version, and it has been updated to version 2.1 (dunno which your last version was). Just check the site to find out! :-)
      cool, thanks

Comment

Wow! This mod is a LOT of fun! Also being a big fan of the ancient era (I created a similar mod/scenario for Civ2 called "Seeds of Greatness"), this is just what the doctor ordered for Civ3. There's definitely a few minor bugs and cosmetic issues here and there, but the release of Conquests should provide plenty of new art and features you can use to improve this even further.

Major kudos!

(Don't know if this has been reported yet, but my Civ has both the Lighthouse and the Odyssey, yet Naval Moves increased only by one, not two).
        To La Fayette, as fine a gentleman as ever trod the Halls of Apolyton

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

Just post your ideas here. A conquests version is in the works.
          My websites:

Comment

Crash

Just came across a major bug (i.e. "crash-to-the-desktop"). The ini file for the Republican Legionary (and probably the Imperial Legionary too) refer to .wav files that apparently were renamed in "Conquests". The error message (which appeared when I tried to upgrade a Longswordsman to Republican Legionary) notes that it can't find "LegionaryAttackAsound.wav", and in fact that file doesn't seem to exist.

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

Posted a fix on the main site.
              My websites:

Comment

A few ideas for the new version:

Pirates: Consider pre-siting a few Barbarian Villages on single tile islands in the Med, as this will probably spawn quite a few pirate ships.

New Barbarian Camps: Barbs don't seem to return after you knock off the pre-existing villages. It would be nice if they could reappear in those areas outside of normal habitation (such as the vast expanse of desert near the Caspian Sea - if this produced hordes from time to time, that would be VERY historical)

Privateers: These should be available early on in the game. Pirates were a huge problem in the Mediterranean for most of recorded history, and this unit would "bring them back" to the game. Another side benefit is that civs frequently blockade the Straits of Gibraltar with a ship that never moves, and this would be one way to deal with that problem (the only alternative now is for the human player to either get there first and block off everyone else, or start a war simply to remove a ship)

Map: Some of the civ sprawl could be mitigated by reducing the number of places the AI can plant a city. Germany, Russia, and the Steppe in particular need to be modified so that fewer cities can be planted there - especially since those are areas where many civs non-historically send settlers. I saw the way you used forest to discourage setttlement in the river valleys of the far East (unfortunately they STILL build cities in the adjacent desert), but a better solution might be to change Flood Plain terrain so it has 0-food like mountains. In Germany and Russia, stick with the forests, but greatly reduce the number of settler-friendly tiles.

Enslave: Slavery was a big part of the ancient world (loved your use of -1 culture for Slave Camps, by the way), so it seems appropriate that more units should have the ability to win battles and thereby either create workers or some kind of relatively weak generic mercenary unit.
                Last edited by Kull; December 23, 2003, 16:47.

Comment

After lots of problems I have finally fixed the latest PTW version. Fix 7 is ready for download.
                  My websites:

Comment

Minor Bug: When you click the Civilopedia entry for Kolchis WAr Chariots, it returns a blank screen with the message "Invalid Entry".

Comment

• After downloading and going through the civilopedia, I gotta say that this looks excellent - I'll be giving this a play in my next game...

And here's hoping this'll be upgraded for 'Conquests'
                      Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
                      ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

• The C3C version will be released very soon.
                        My websites:

Comment

• Most everything looks good in this Mod - it is very well-thought out - and rather than simply renaming the tech tree, it provides nice alternatives.

Some questions...
                          I understand the concept of bumping up the pop. requirement of city construction from 2 to 3 pop points as a means to slow down growth, but is there a specific reason why you cannot settle cities in forests? Is it also a gameplay-balancing issue or is it based on history?

Can I use the default terrain instead of what you have in place? (I know I will have to use the new set of goods) This is more of a preference issue for me and will not prevent me from playing this Mod if I cannot go back to the default terrain.

I would like to edit your setup to allow for more settling options for my own setup, and to push back Imperial Road on the tech tree (I hate infinite movement as a gameplay issue), but am running into some problems.

I have C3C, which includes the basic civ3 Editor and the upgraded Conquests Editor, but not the transitional PTW Editor. I can open the file in the Conquests Editor, make the changes, but I cannot save it to the format supported by PTW. Saving it in the C3C format scrambles up everything too.

I may wait until you have the C3C version ready to go so I can make those changes.
                          Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner

Comment

• You can't settle on forests to slow down the barbarian nations of the north.

You can use the default terrain by deleting all terrain files in the TAM 2.1\TERRAIN folder without deleting the resources.

C3C version is coming soon.
                            My websites:

Comment

• Originally posted by thamis
                              You can't settle on forests to slow down the barbarian nations of the north.
                              Thanks for the reply.

You may want to consider removing that limitation on the random map setup. (that was the version I was using)

However, keeping it as you currently have it on the random maps does not make it a gamebreaker either. As long as I can edit the feature...

Comment

• TAM v2.2 for Conquests has been released here:

My websites:

Comment

Working...
                                X