X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US army releases 2 games to help recruit

The first is called "Training".

The second, is "Operations".

I dont have any information yet. But they sound kinda boring...anybody heard anything yet?

Ah-ha...

My thread for it at Civfanatics

I AM VERY EXCITED ABOUT THIS UP-COMING GAME!

Link to "Official" Website

Link to "Official" forums

Release date: expected July/August 2002.

Order it for free in the USA
    Foreigners (like me) would probably be best to download it for free

The America’s Army game blends two vivid simulations: Soldiers, a role-playing portion in which players navigate life’s challenges to achieve goals, and a first-person action game,
    called Operations.

Developed by the U.S. Army and a world-class team of Department of Defense experts in simulations and virtual environments, America's Army will be available in August. The Army will distribute America’s Army for *free* in response to requests at America's Army and GoArmy.com, through distribution partners that include leading computer game magazines, at Army events, at recruiting stations, and through internet download. The game is rated “T” for Teen by the Entertainment Software Ratings Board.

Anticipating large-scale distribution this summer, the Army unveiled the game at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3), the computer and video games industry’s major convention in Los Angeles.

Screenshots:

FOR FULL SET OF SCREENSHOTS

Link to "Official" Website

Link to "Official" forums Which seems to be inhabited by freaks...

I will be keeping track of this for sure...will post after Wednesday as much concise info as possible about what looks to be shaping up into an excellent "soldier sim".

:king:

I will be updating the civfanatics thread, not the Apolyton one

Comment

You wouldn't catch me dead with a game made by a military organization.

It's a big stinking heap of propaganda.

I wonder though - if soccer moms get so angry at games that promotes random violence and the such, would they get upset at a game that is essentially a recruitment platform the for military? ( especially when it's being handed out like candy.)
      Last edited by General Ludd; May 26, 2002, 17:58.
      Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

hmmm...candy...
        hey, wait a muinute....this isn't about candy

anyway, the game looks good, and i don't care if it is for army recruitment, i know i'll never join the army....
        <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
        Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

Knowing the military and the way they like to spend money,I wonder how many billions this cost?

Looks pretty slick.Can't be all that good can it?
          The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Knowing the military and the way they like to spend money,I wonder how many billions this cost?
            lol, that is funny, the US-tax payers are buying me a new game
            <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
            Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

What a splash screen. "You tax dollar at work!"
              "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
              "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

I really only wonder what the RPG will be like
                "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

I at first was outragged at the idea of the government spending the money like this on recruitment. Then I reconsidered. They are paying to use the Unreal engine and then spent money on a design team to complete the game. No more than like five million.

Once the game is completed than distribution will be the cost of shipping. I mean, it does not cost more than a few cents to make a copy of a CD. So cost should be relatively low.

This is compared to television ads that they run where they have to pay someone to make them and then spend a bunch to show them all the time. So in the end it costs less. And heck, it probably has a better chance of bringing some people into the military. In the meantime, since I am not a big fan of FPS, except once in a while when I need to kill someone, I get a free game legally! Good luck to the military in making this free game.
                  About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

I went and ordered it.

Course, I'm already contracted with the Navy...
                    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

They've already gotten to you, Lonestar!?!

/me runs around screaming!!
                      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Well my contract is done, but if i was an American kid(or parent come to that) i'd be intrested in this approach from your military.
                        It is a very smart recruitment drive, that's for sure.
                        Now if i was a kid in any other country(or a parent ), i'd be less intrested and more worried........why does the American military need to get them while their 'young', is it as simple as just a measure to shore up a recruitment problem? Or maybe it's something more sinister.......I'm glad i'm on America's side in so far as i live in an American friendly country. Computer games are changing it seems, finally becoming exceptable to the real world.
                        'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Well the graphics are slick, and since it Mplayer I might give it a shot! Hell its free, so what. It probably pays off in terms of recruiting. Probably will be more effective than the "Army of one" commercials. So not really a waste, it probably costed no more than a million dollars. I mean, the army has its own programmers, devolopers and manufactures, they didnt need to hire anybody from the civilian market. Nor does the army have to deal with copyright and advertisement issues. Again, thats covered. so the cost is probably really low for the CD anyway. The army isnt out to make $$$, just to recruit. Ill give it a shot, again its free. If I dont like it i can let it collect dust.

So It might be fun.

As for Euro's gettin it for free. Theres nothing wrong with that. Why should they have to pay if the game is being sent out for free.

You can get anything you want for free at warez sights anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by tniem
                            I at first was outragged at the idea of the government spending the money like this on recruitment. Then I reconsidered. They are paying to use the Unreal engine and then spent money on a design team to complete the game. No more than like five million.

Once the game is completed than distribution will be the cost of shipping. I mean, it does not cost more than a few cents to make a copy of a CD. So cost should be relatively low.

This is compared to television ads that they run where they have to pay someone to make them and then spend a bunch to show them all the time. So in the end it costs less. And heck, it probably has a better chance of bringing some people into the military. In the meantime, since I am not a big fan of FPS, except once in a while when I need to kill someone, I get a free game legally! Good luck to the military in making this free game.
                            I thought the same thing that you did at first. A game seems like a waste of money as a recruitment tool, but what you said makes a lot of sense.

I read about this in PC Gamer magazine and I was sure they were kidding, especially when they mentioned "governmen- run servers". How long do you think that's going to last?
                            Last edited by Playa del Carmen; June 3, 2002, 01:15.
                            You're a man- you can be replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa del Carmen
                              I read about this in PC Gamer magazine and I was sure they were kidding, especially when they mentioned "governmen- run servers". How long do you think that's going to last?
                              Well, if you listen to what has been said is this same forum about the end of free online mp, then however long it lasts will be better than nothing.
                              About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Working...
                              X