X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• linux and freeciv newbie

Hello all,

I'm a linux newbie, so please, be patient with my ignorance

I'm running Mandrake 8.1 with KDE 3.0 installed. I recently downloaded and installed the freeciv 1.12.0 game and followed the instructions to the letter. Here's my problem....

When I hit the "connect" button in the client window, I get a "refused connection" message. I'm trying to play solo on my own machine and I've done everything exactly as it says to in the manual. Here are the commands I've used:

civserver --nometa
    set aifill 5
    civclient

Then, when I hit connect, I get the "refused connection" message. The server is set to "local host" and the port to 5555. In the console, I get the message "unable to locate .../.../.civclientrc."

Any help would be appreciated...and again, please remember that I am clueless on unix! Thanks!

Tiger,

The error is a bit vague for me to directly point to a solution and I tend to take more care of support for the windows front. You might have faster results if you also mail this message to the mailing list at: freeciv@freeciv.org

Doing a search in the mailing list archives at http://arch.freeciv.org/ may also prove fruitful.

Glad to see you're trying out on the real deal...
    Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

Thanks...found a solution

Thanks for the tip, but I *just* found a solution and got the game up and running

Comment

try this to log on

Being new to linux you may have accidently misconfigured your ip protocal. localhost may be = 10.??.??.?? or something else. So change "localhost" to 127.0.0.1 in the dialog box. If that works just reconfigure your localhost back under linux config in the configuration/networking/netconfig. I hope that if this is your problem Mandrake 8.1 has not changed the K"start" menu that much. I have 8.0.

Comment

Working...
        X