Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do non-English speakers come to Poly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do non-English speakers come to Poly?

Just wondering. We have a very international group. Many people who don't have English as their native language. How many people here frequent native language boards? Do you prefer them to an English dominated board?

Is having more people worth the hassle of speaking in a foeign language?

Oui, mon hostie d'ciboire.

Les Francais ont acheté Firaxis, donc nous devons les inviter pour participer dans notre forum.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I visit a variety of forums, both Dutch and English, I like the presence of international people here. And in the beginning, for most of us, the game of Civ brought us here.

Comment

I don't visit Belgian forums much because, well, they are rather retarded.

Especially the "offtopic" forums:
        1/5 of the threads are anti-american/israel BS and all the others will eventually turn into a flamewar about the Vlaams Blok...
        In een hoerekotje aan den overkant emmekik mijn bloem verloren,
        In een hoerekotje aan den overkant bennekik mijn bloemeke kwijt

Comment

I frequent native boards, eh, frequently, but for gaming chitchat and pure enjoyment lurking on the outskirts of big nasty flamewars, there's simply no susbstitute for 'Poly.
          "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
          "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

where you from, moomie. I figured you for an Amie...

Comment

Nope... I found this place when i was looking for a Civ site, found the forums and kind of liked the atmosphere here. And after you stay for some time and you get to know the people you find ACS is a nice place to hang out. Nothing to do with language...
              Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
              And notifying the next of kin
              Once again...

Comment

Sweden. It's not like I'm going to forgive Sid for ditching the Vikings... so you took me for a Amie? Never fret, I forgive you!
                "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
                "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

israeli forums aren't as good.

plus there are plenty of hebrew problems...

also, most of them are either about web developement (duh) or about politics, and it's no use arguing with israelis

Comment

Originally posted by Sirotnikov
                    israeli forums aren't as good.

plus there are plenty of hebrew problems...

also, most of them are either about web developement (duh) or about politics, and it's no use arguing with israelis
                    Plus, all those Euro forums are Israel haters.

Like your avatar, Siro
                    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

si eso es un buen idea.

nosotros aprendemos muchos nuevas lenguas!

--
                      Les Francais ont acheté Firaxis, donc nous devons les inviter pour participer dans notre forum.
                      Hmm.. Lets see- how good is my french:
                      did that say:

The french prefer Firaxis, but they do not invite me to participate on another forum.

-
                      ...On second thought, that's probably wrong, but exactly HOW wrong
                      -->Visit CGN!
                      -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

The French BOUGHT Firaxis, therefore we've got to invite THEM to come to OUR forum.
                        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Killing it is the new killing it
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                          The French BOUGHT Firaxis, therefore we've got to invite THEM to come to OUR forum.
                          Speak American, Frenchie.

And bring back the kitten!
                          Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud

si eso es un buen idea.

nosotros aprendemos muchos nuevas lenguas!

Sí.

English is my first language (and practically my only language). But if it wasn't, then I'd probably come for the atmosphere, and to get used to the everyday use of the language.
                            You're a man- you can be replaced.

Comment

Re: Why do non-English speakers come to Poly?

Originally posted by GP
                              Just wondering. We have a very international group. Many people who don't have English as their native language. How many people here frequent native language boards? Do you prefer them to an English dominated board?

Well.... I don't even know if there is an Italian Civ3 forums somewhere.... but I guess there is since I fell like I'm the only one here, and Civ is a popular game in Italy!

Oh.... and one last thoght!
                              How come that Apolyton does not speak in Greek... after all it's a
                              Greek site right?

Saluti
                              "Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. You do more of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do something else.
                              The trick is the doing something else."
                              — Leonardo da Vinci
                              "If God forbade drinking, would He have made wine so good?" - Cardinal Richelieu
                              "In vino veritas" - Plinio il vecchio

Comment

Working...
                              X