Who wants minor civs ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who wants minor civs ?

So, who wants a few minor civs ? You know, the kind of little guys, like Switzerland, that aren't so politically important, but add so much to the real world. Well here's an idea for all you guys and gals who want lots of civs, but don't want to have to fight _too_ hard for living space with them....

Step the first : You need to be using the latest patch (I think, but I can't remember all those numbers and letters)

Next step : Follow me boldy into the editor...

Part 3 : Set # of civs to 16 (or whatever)

4: Change a few of the civs NEVER to build settlers, but to concentrate on defensive units. Turn their aggression to MINIMUM that way they stay small.

5: Wait for it...

6: Here's the clever(ish) bit. Give these crippled civs that can't build settlers a chance.... give them 4 or 5 settlers (and defenders to fit ) as starting units.

The end result, after about 3-4000 years should be something like 10 small civs with four or five (or six...) cities, and a number of budding super powers (you and your rivals) Of course it helps to rename the civs, and change a few leader portraits. I'm just putting the finishing touches to a mod based on Germany.

Major powers: (all without alterations)
    Prussia
    Austria
    Bavaria
    Saxony
    Rhineland
    (one of which will be me)

Minor Powers:
    Hesse (7 cities)
    Hannover (2/3 cities)
    Wuttemberg (5)
    Holstein (4)
    Bohemia (6)

And maybe a few more. Perhaps I need another major power.

There will also be a few independant Bishops (Köln, Salzburg etc.) Who will only get one settler and no option to produce more, BUT will also get 6 or seven defensive units and a free tech (maybe that no-one else can research - has to be traded) which should ensure their survival (for a while ! )

Anyway, I'm sure that I've no copyright on this idea, so if anyone wants to try it, I'd love the feedback. Probably no fun for bigtime warmongers, but for builder/fighter/trader types like me its heaven.... lots of weak tribes to intimidate/make alliances with and THEY DON'T ENDLESSY SEND SETTLERS EVERYWHERE (sorry)

Thanks for reading all that, perhaps I'll post the mod next week if its ever finished (GL's for Rhineland Pfalz anyone? Help!)

-Jam
    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Sounds very cool.

Elector Friedrich V.
    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Got a pic ? (for leader screens)

-Jam
      1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
      That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
      Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!

Comment

No, I just read about him in the context of the 30 Years War. Actually, he might not really be great 'cause that was what eventually sort of made the Rhineland Pfalz into a punching bag. Only guy could remember from there, though.
        The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Comment

I'm no big history buff, (he says) but sounds kinda familiar. Another (yes another) libary trip/10 hour internet search awaits.

-Jam

Comment

Here you go:

Thanks Google!

Comment

Re: Who wants minor civs ?

Originally posted by War of Art

Major powers: (all without alterations)
              Prussia
              Austria
              Bavaria
              Saxony
              Rhineland
              (one of which will be me)

Minor Powers:
              Hesse (7 cities)
              Hannover (2/3 cities)
              Wuttemberg (5)
              Holstein (4)
              Bohemia (6)

And maybe a few more. Perhaps I need another major power.

-Jam
              You don't , by chance, play EU2 do you?

Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Barbarian Camps should be able to unite into Minor Civs!

JB

Comment

Re: Who wants minor civs ?

Originally posted by War of Art
                  6: Here's the clever(ish) bit. Give these crippled civs that can't build settlers a chance.... give them 4 or 5 settlers (and defenders to fit ) as starting units.

This is a pretty cool idea. What units are you going to use as defenders? I was thinking that perhaps you should give them strong defensive units at the start, so they won't get mowed over. Maybe like mod a unit to be 0/6/1 (or does attack have to be 1?) so that they won't be used as offensive units just defensive. And, if there is a finite number, say two per settler, then there won't be worries about never being able to take the city. i dont' know how this fits in with your thinking, but I would be concerned about them being taken out early on. (but I'm sure that some would survive regardless for a while).

Comment

Nah, if there was such a thing, I'd just conquer them soon. By the Middle Ages, I got Knights, and I would run over any minor Civ I find, just for the cities. Or given their low culture I could just take these.
                    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

The trick is to give these limited civs a handfull of hoplites at the beginning and give them Feudalism and Nationalism as free techs. They can't use use them untill they have the required advances, but it ensures that their defenses are up to scratch. I always add a "Feudal" govenment type that allows unlimited unit support, and no maintainance costs. The small AI's get this for a starting GVMT and it helps ensure their survival.

Solver, these "minor" civs can be a BIG problem in the Ancient Era. Imagine, 4000BC, and they have 6 times as many cities as you, they can't build any more. Even with the agression turned right down they attack in waves to try to expand, and they are always at war with each other....

If you like a really complicated war then wait just a couple of weeks more....

-Jam

Comment

Another idea dont cut off there way to settle all the way just make a special settles at 2 or 3 times the cost and make that just for them. They will expand but much slower. But also if u can give them some kind of research bonus and i think you will have what your looking for.
                        I dont cheat just bend the rules

Comment

Working...
                        X