Everyone hates me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everyone hates me

OK, let me get out in the open first that I *suck* at civ3. I get my a** handed to me on the easiest level.

My main problem is that in every game I've tried to play, everyone's attitude towards me falls to furious, I can't trade with them at all, and eventually the entire world declares war on me. At that point the game isn't really fun anymore as I can't play w? Civ3's new features like culture since I basically have to spend my whole time fending off everyone else.

I'm not a warmonger, I try to build up my civ, but the same thing always happens and war is thrust upon me.

This is really killing my enjoyment of this game, I'd love some help.

TIA

First and foremost build cities, Expand, expand, expand.
    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

I guess I should explain more:

I generally play the Germans, I expand rapidly, and generally become the #1 Civ.

I may sometimes take a city or two to open more expansion paths, but it's usually about 1500 when I'm solidly in the lead and have been focused on peacful growth for 100's of years that everyone gets pissed and attacks me like crazy.

Comment

And trade: maps, luxuries, resources anything you can. If you have to go to war make sure you have a lot of units.
        Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

make sure that "compared to these guys, we have a strong military!" the AI seem less likely to attack you if they know you could whoop them. i agree that you should trade often. if you refuse, they get mad. you could give them gifts, like 10 gold every now and then, or an outdated tech. also, definitely expand at the beginning and get a lot of land. finally, make sure your border and coastal cities are STRONGLY defended.
          drones to the left of me, spartans to the right - here i am, stuck in the middle with yang

Comment

oh yeah, and the other civs will be resentful of you if you're the biggest and the best. placate their resentment with gifts and trading. help the little guys out and tehy won't hate you as much.

or build a large military and stomp them into the dust.
            drones to the left of me, spartans to the right - here i am, stuck in the middle with yang

Comment

Hi there,

I'm getting the same hate dishonesty blah blah etc as kkemp. Reading Tuberski's reply, I simply want to point/ask one thing; since wars definitely weaken a nation, how is it possible for a civ (like the Greeks) to survive, especially in the early stages of their development.

Vector3

Comment

The Greeks survive fine, take off the special abilities, if you want to play a straight game where all military units are equal, also one can take off 'win' conditions.

In this game, they all act that way, if they want a token of gold coins, give it too them, then ask for a proposal, in Diplomacy, and ask how many gold coins they want for a tech you may not have, if none you can always get out of the screen by buying nothing.

If not, fight the heck out of them until they back off.
                I usually see them fighting each other, usually the military type Civ's like the Romans, Persians, etc.

If not, use the tutorial game, and it may help to learn things about the game.

Check your military advisor, to see how many military units you can support.

The game is different now, it's more of a war game, especially if the 'win' conditions are on for 'Conquest' or 'Most Territory' type wins with the game.

Look for another Civ to help you, form a military alliance - to fight the aggressors.

It takes some time to learn to play.
                Go for iron working first, build swordmen, then woop them!
                Get a leader, build a wonder, or build an army!

you will get the hang of the game, defeat them anyway you can.

Comment

a few things make the game a little easyer:
                  1). Being the only one on a continent means you can expand without other taking the land you plan to build on (Their are a few things you can do to make sure your on a continent is by using the edittor to make sure theirs all the other spawn points on the other bits of land, and only one on the one you plan to be on, now you just have to remember where it is and keep on loading the scenario till your on it)
                  2). check out the manual and only start with civs that don't have militeristic or expansionist bonuses, you mite want one or two, just to make it a little more fun. These 'friendly' civs are:
                  Greece
                  India
                  Egypt
                  France
                  Babylon
                  China
                  and in my current game i'm England with Germany being my little 'angry' civ.
                  Help negate the vegiterian movement!
                  For every animal you don't eat! I'm gunna eat three!!

Comment

Do not do things that upset other civilizations and make them your friends if you don't want to be attacked. Here are ten tips:

1) Give them a gift of money (5 golds)
                    2) Don't go into their territory if you don't have a passage agreement.
                    3) If they ask you to trade, always trade something (if it is not fair, give a gift of money)
                    4) Initiate contact with them (give money if trade is not possible)
                    5) Ask for pay per turn instead of lump sum when you buy things; they are less likely to fight you then.
                    6) Do not take sides in their wars.
                    7) Trade luxuries with them.
                    8) Have a good reputation (no nuking and no retraction of treaties)
                    9) Be strong militarily.
                    10) Don't burb as you play!

Comment

Working...
                    X