Save me!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Save me!!!

Okay, for the life of me I can't figure out how to open up my saved game. I tried f, file, filename, what-have-you, but it always tells me that this is not an option. Can anyone think of anything I could be doing wrong. I read the manual, and I still can't open my game. The game it gonna get real old real quick if all I ever play is ancient times.

First up, are you using the Freeciv windows client by Andreas Kemenade? This version has a menu when you start up the client where you're able to load savegames.

You should also be able to load your savegame by starting the server from a dosbox with the -f (savegame).gz option (be sure to include the ".gz" suffix) . This will always work, at least on the various windows clients I've tested. It could be that the filenames are case sensitive. Did you use normal or capital letters in your savegames?
    Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

I'm not sure if I was including the .gz appropriately, but I downloaded Wincivgo, and I was able to open my saved game. Hoorah. So, I have another question. I've been wanting to use the scenarios (especially the earth map), but apparantly I need to "bunzip" them. So, I did a search for "bunzip," and most of what I got was in a Linux context. Is there a site where I can download a "bunzip" program for Windows, or is it specifically a Linux thing?

Comment

I think ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/bzip2/v...-x86-win32.exe is what you should DL... I'll check it with Wine.

.. damnit. Wine won't understand it, and it's 32bit so I can't open it with dosemu... Well, I hope bunzip is included in that packet.
        This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Ah, LightEning. Dolphin bartender. It's your favorite Caesar speaking.

Comment

Don't worry most of those maps are also included in the Windows client. Take a look in the \data\scenario directory.

And just in case I've included the maps in various sizes(World, Europe, Britain etc..) here. And as they are simply stored as savegames (this time without the ".gz" suffix) at the moment you can load them in the same way.
            Attached Files
            Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Comment

Originally posted by Caesar2760
              I'm not sure if I was including the .gz appropriately, but I downloaded Wincivgo, and I was able to open my saved game. Hoorah. So, I have another question. I've been wanting to use the scenarios (especially the earth map), but apparantly I need to "bunzip" them. So, I did a search for "bunzip," and most of what I got was in a Linux context. Is there a site where I can download a "bunzip" program for Windows, or is it specifically a Linux thing?

The program you're looking is GUNZIP, it's a file compressions standard that is to Linux what ZIP is to windows. A good* compression program like WinACE does support *.gz .

*Winzip supports only one format by standard: *.zip (the rest you'll have to install yourself)

Comment

Originally posted by Caesar2760
                Ah, LightEning. Dolphin bartender. It's your favorite Caesar speaking.
                ... now THIS is what I call a surprise. Too bad I don't exist as a micronationalist at the moment... (see http://pub44.ezboard.com/ftymariafrm...icID=909.topic )
                This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Oh, well neither do I. I come and I go, as is my wont. I just never announce it. I'll leave the figuring-out to others. Thank you all for the help.

Comment

Nevermind. I've solved the problem before anyone told me to. Don't I feel smart...
                    Last edited by Caesar2760; May 11, 2002, 11:54.

Comment

Glad you already solved it But what was the exact problem? Didn't the scenario load correctly at first? What was the solution? I'm asking this because It's always helpful to post your own solution. That way newcomers know where to look.

Comment

Working...
                      X