MoM: What your favorite Magic type

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I checked the thread...

... so I am even more confident throwing down the challenge... just what does the 11 pick sorcery player win with?

The 11 pick death wins because the regenerating wraiths conquer everything while leaving free defenders in their wake.

The 11 pick growth win on prosperity because they buy an army too quickly.

The 11 pick Nature is useless because the behemoth loses and gaias belssing provides benefits too slowly.

the 11 pick Chaos loses because the destructive spells ruin the world and the monsters are weak.

the 11 pick sorcery is well, worse than useless...

Comment

11 nature books: Gorgons! Gorgons! They have -2 stoning gaze!

11 sorcery books: Flying (invisible) warships! Flying (invisible) warships!

11 chaos: chaos spawn? could it work? then there is also hydra... but it's in the late-game...
      I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

Gorgons are cool...

I agree with your style (except for the chaos spawn), they are very effective against neutrals, but too weak to survive opposing magic.

the key to the wraiths is that they regenerate the magic losses from the early stage defenders and can thus a single wraith can take a fully guarded mages castle.

Comment

How do you win with 11 Sorcery books? What about Sky Drake? One of those will rip through nearly any stack of city defenders the AI ever uses, especially if you cast Guardian Wind on it.
          "THE" plus "IRS" makes "THEIRS". Coincidence? I think not.

Comment

Forgot about that Sky Drake...

I wonder why I didn't try that... I may just have to knock the dust off to see

Comment

They're especially fun against Dark Elves, Halflings (if you cast Guardian Wind so that they're immune to slingers as well as shamans) and Trolls (the AI likes to put together stacks of shamans). With any luck, a Sky Drake will knock off a 9-high stack of city defenders from one of those races without taking a point of damage.

Comment

I like Chaos magic best because of the damage-dealing spells. A bit of Nature as well for the map-related spells. A typical starting pick for me might be 7 Chaos, 2 Nature, 1 Sorcery and Node Mastery.
                None, Sedentary, Roving, Restless, Raging ... damn, is that all? Where's the "massive waves of barbarians that can wipe out your civilisation" setting?

Comment

Interesting. I'm always in severe pain unless I can get healing. I really think it should be an arcane spell.
                  "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
                  "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

Yikes! There are so many MOM people here.

I agree that picking 11 Death or 11 Life(Torin) is too easy to be fun and it put me off using life as too easy, especially with Halflings.

So then it becomes what is the most fun - and I enjoy playing 9 Nature or chaos with various specials.

I gave up trying to win with node mastery (plus mostly Chaos and Nature), because the start is so hard. So, I guess that I challenge anybody to make that work.
                    "I'm so happy I could go and drive a car crash!"
                    "What do you mean do I rape strippers too? Is that an insult?"
                    - Pekka

Comment

My favorite spell combination

7 life, 2 nature, 1 chaos, 1 sorcery with Lizardmen with the dragon turtles.

Comment

OK, MattyBoy, I'm taking your challenge. I just started a game at Hard level, with 4 opponents, large land and powerful nodes. I took Node Mastery, 5 Chaos books, 4 Nature and 1 Sorcery (had to take at least one or I couldn't choose Node Mastery). My race is Barbarian. I'll report back when I've either lost the game or reached the point where victory is inevitable (from that point, the actual mopping up can take hours).

Comment

Go Rex, Go.
                          I was trying 2 opponents on Impossible, but the name proved appropriate. No need to conquer all to know you have won - I find node mastery makes for lose early or blitz games.
                          - Pekka

Comment

Node Mastery is good enough. Why do you find it hard? You get to cast confusion in all nodes, plus web and turn your units into flying chaos creatures, then what do you fear?
                            Clash of Civilization team member
                            (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                            web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

My enemies have been getting on top of me before I get strong enough to take many nodes. I am about to look into those chaos creatures.
                              - Pekka

Comment

Nature -> Gorgons (-2 stoning gaze) = WOWWOWWOW!
                                I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

Working...
                                X