No announcement yet.

MoM: What your favorite Magic type

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I liked the Chaos tornado spell (whatever its name was) that allowed you to have a destructing whirlwind that spewed lightning bolts and moved 3 squares random and 1 you controlled.
    That's Magic Vortex. It's very good, but Call Lightning is better (and only 10 MP more expensive) because it hits every turn. The Vortex can wander for several turns without contacting the enemy.

Phantom Beast is good, too. But funny thing--if you're fighting against one, you're better off summoning Phantom Warriors than another Beast. Two PWs will usually take down a PB, and they only cost 20 MP total, vs. 35 for the Beast.
    "THE" plus "IRS" makes "THEIRS". Coincidence? I think not.

Comment

Father Beast:
      It was Zombie Mastery, yes, thanks for the name.

Rex:
      I liked the Vortex more than Call Lightning but I didn't experiment a lot with the second. The vortex could strike twice at the same opponent if you were lucky, and it dealt damage to all those beside it after you chose its movement. With a crowd of great wyrms, you could damage 3 in a round very often.
      You could also cast more than one, which you can't with call lightning.
      And yes, I tended to use PW against PB too.

What about races?
      I liked dwarves (gold, ore bonus) and high men (paladins).
      Clash of Civilization team member
      (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
      web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

About those races... how about making a differend thread with poll
        I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

Dwarfs are excellent race.

Especialy winged Hamerhands (using chaos channel).

Lack of range units?

No problem, chaos magic is there, and you can always get some heroes.

Comment

Earth elementals a cool for distracting the enemy from your long range units. They're fast enough to keep the enemy on distance and can take some punch.

Comment

What do you mean, "fast enough to keep the enemy on distance"? Earth elementals are speed 1, the slowest there is in the game.
              "THE" plus "IRS" makes "THEIRS". Coincidence? I think not.

Comment

But you can cast 'em in front of your troops

Comment

Chaos at this end.

But I never paly mono-magic games, which means I always mix spheres. And I never put any life or death in there, I'm just not a man of politics like that

Comment

About magic vs magic... what colour is great against what colour... and what colour sucks against what?

I think that death and sorcery 'nullify' each other... all (?) death creatures are immune to illusions (= almost all sorcery spells), and most of sorcery creatures are immune to death spells...

Obviously life works well against death, but the main power of life spells are in improving own units, rather than harming enemy units. So the 'morale' of life spells is higher than others... , and same goes for nature (if you take out call lightning )

Death and chaos are mainly used for attacking directly and weakening enemy units... they would be horrible spells in real life

Sorcery lies somewhere in the middle...

When I start to think, I mostly like to play with wizards having both life and nature books... though I sometimes want to rant around with wraiths, shadow demons and great drakes

Comment

I often do the 3 non-religiousm so to speak, given death and life are sort of a confession. The emphasis is always on Chaos, and then a few of nature and sorcery, giving me some nice spells AND node mastery

Comment

I tend neither to summon beasts not to cast spells on unit. All that costs mana to maintain which is better spent on research... Thus confusion, PW, PB, and some direct damage spells.
                        Life is pretty efficient against Death
                        Sorcery/Death: Sorcery is weaker as it relies only on beasts to do some damage, and they are usually less powerful than death monsters except for the sky drake.
                        Sorcery/Anything else: I'd vote for sorcery. It is really strong (confusion, PM, flying, guardian wind, plus better dispel magic).
                        Chaos is a bit limited versus Life and Sorcery I believe, as its damage can be prevented/healed, and units forbidden to attack or protected against.
                        Clash of Civilization team member
                        (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                        web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Based on the Magic I hate the most, it would be Sorcery, being able to get off a counter magic spell in combat, can swing the fight to your favor in a big way.
                          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Sorcery magic is great if you're an Artificer. A group of hasted, flying, invisible, magic-immune Heroes with phantasmal weapons is ustoppable.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack the Bodiless
                              Sorcery magic is great if you're an Artificer. A group of hasted, flying, invisible, magic-immune Heroes with phantasmal weapons is ustoppable.
                              Add Runemaster to that and it's even better.
                              Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Something buggy about my MOM... I made artifacts with hasted-flying-invisible... but the heroes using these artifacts didn't become invisible... well, they did (the AI didn't/couldn't use their ranged attacs) but the AI allways moved towards my invisible heroes (the heroes weren't invisible in the battlemap).

And the AI could cast spells against those heroes too... how strange...

and don't forget about the -4 spell save staff with 4xConfusion spell (oh, don't forget the invisiblity&flying miscellaneous artifact for that spellcaster either )

Comment

Working...
                                X