Advanced Economics & Logistics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advanced Economics & Logistics

Civ1 and Civ2, while good, did not implement one of the most crucial aspects of historical civilization simulation, namely economics and trade. Civ2's "trade" is pretty meaningless and shallow because all those commodities don't really matter in actual play.

Instead I propose that Civ3 implement an economic system similar to that found in Colonization and/or Railroad Tycoon.In those games, the acquisition of various resources mattered for earning income and producing various city improvements, armaments, ships, etc. etc. The "shields" model of Civ1/2 is way too simplistic and uninteresting.

Naturally I am not necessarily suggesting that I want to see micromanagement on the same level as in Colonization and/or Railroad Tycoon, nor do I think that you need to implement a whole plethora of resources, just a few will do.

With the implementation of a more advanced economic system, new possibilities are opened up. You now have meaningful trade and meaningful trade routes. This of course means trade relations become important. Also this opens up the possibilities for economic boycotts, embargoes, and blockades.

Last but not least, an advanced economic system opens the way for a better support model during war. Instead of cities or even the whole nation magically supplying troops in battle, this is based on storage and transportation of supplies. I know that this might turn off some people but it would work exactly the same way as in Colonization. Remember in Colonization, when dragoons or musketeers were lost, the horse and musket resource was lost and you needed to transport them from cities or capture them from the enemy to resupply your units. The transportation of supplies doesn't have to be micro-managed but would use the same engine and management as normal trade "using trade routes, etc."

quote:

Originally posted by polymths on 05-02-2001 02:05 PM
    Civ1 and Civ2, while good, did not implement one of the most crucial aspects of historical civilization simulation, namely economics and trade. Civ2's "trade" is pretty meaningless and shallow because all those commodities don't really matter in actual play.

Instead I propose that Civ3 implement an economic system similar to that found in Colonization and/or Railroad Tycoon.In those games, the acquisition of various resources mattered for earning income and producing various city improvements, armaments, ships, etc. etc. The "shields" model of Civ1/2 is way too simplistic and uninteresting.

Naturally I am not necessarily suggesting that I want to see micromanagement on the same level as in Colonization and/or Railroad Tycoon, nor do I think that you need to implement a whole plethora of resources, just a few will do.

With the implementation of a more advanced economic system, new possibilities are opened up. You now have meaningful trade and meaningful trade routes. This of course means trade relations become important. Also this opens up the possibilities for economic boycotts, embargoes, and blockades.

Maybe you should read up on what has allready been said (and been anounced by Firaxis) before you post...
    [This message has been edited by Henrik (edited May 02, 2001).]
    No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Henrik on 05-02-2001 02:17 PM
      Maybe you should read up on what has allready been said (and been anounced by Firaxis) before you post...

Henrik, do you have any idea how many times one and the same issues (more or less) have reoccured with slightly different versions over the past 2-3 years, here at Apolyton?
      What shall we do about that? Go back and carefully read "The list" that once was sent to Firaxis - and if the idea once have been mentioned; then never be allowed to bring it up again?

Anyway, checking up http://www.firaxis.com/civ3/ is nevertheless a good idea.

[This message has been edited by Ralf (edited May 02, 2001).]

Comment

I haven't even read the list, as you might have noted I didn't quote the last part of the post, I was only refering to how production and trade has been changed, and that only becouse it has allready been anounced by Firaxis.
        Sorry if anyone felt offended
        No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

As I replied In another post, markG, or someone should add a message somewhere where every newby who comes along will see it, which says something to the effect of "Make sure and search the boards for the answers to any questions you might have."
          I don't have much to say 'cause I won't be here long.

Comment

quote:

every newby

Look at the guy's registeration date- he's no newbie
            -->Visit CGN!
            -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Working...
            X