Council of Europe agrees to abolish barrbaric punishment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council of Europe agrees to abolish barrbaric punishment

aka.. death penality, even in the times of war.

as opposed to the barrbarians accross the big pond

This is official press release, and that is how the politicians referred to it, not just me

Vilnius, 03.05.2002 - The Ministers for Foreign Affairs and Representatives of 36 member states (*) of the Council of Europe, present in Vilnius on the occasion of the 110th session of the Organisation's Committee of Ministers, today signed Protocol No. 13 to the European Convention on Human Rights, concerning the abolition of the death penalty in all circumstances.

With Protocol No. 6, and a moratorium in the countries that have not yet ratified it, the 44 Council of Europe member states already constituted a death-penalty-free zone in peacetime. Protocol No. 13 provides the Organisation with an instrument that prohibits capital punishment, whatever the circumstances.

"The Council of Europe was already proud to have banished the death penalty in peacetime on a continent where more than 800 million people live. With Protocol No. 13, it opens the way to abolishing this barbaric punishment in all circumstances. We hope that this will be a decisive step towards a universal abolition of the death penalty and we shall spare no effort in achieving this," declared Walter Schwimmer, Secretary General of the 44-nation Organisation.

The Protocol will enter into force with 10 ratifications. The text and further information available at http://conventions.coe.int

----------
    (*) 36 signatory States : Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Moldova, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, "the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia", Ukraine and the United Kingdom.
    Ireland, Malta and Switzerland signed and ratified this Protocol.

to spare you going to the link
    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Oh yes, I heard about this. The Daily Mail in Britain ran the story under the title "Europe takes away our right to bring back the death penalty".
    "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

Really, do you expect anything other from those f*ckwits the Daily Mail? Nice move! About time they ended conscription too.
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Well our friends across the pond are not the only barbarrians around. British tabloids surely cannot be considered to be civilised
        Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
        GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
          Really, do you expect anything other from those f*ckwits the Daily Mail? Nice move! About time they ended conscription too.

Of course I didn't expect any better. I just thought it'd be humourous to point it out.
          "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Comment

Of course not OFITG

The Daily Mail...hmmm, I've always been bemused why people read that tat, same with any of the tabloids to be honest with you.
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I was actually flicking through it in the college library, looking for the puzzle pages when I happened upon this story. It's not like I buy it or anything.

Comment

yes you Daily mail reader

excuses excuses

Comment

Lies, lies, lies!!!!

Comment

I dunno, I quite like The Mirror. Knee-jerk old labour is as good a stance as any.
                    Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                    Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

You never struck me as a very 'Daily Mail' person Snapcase
                      Speaking of Erith:

Comment

It's a really good way to induce vomiting, though!
                        Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                        Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                          Of course not OFITG

The Daily Mail...hmmm, I've always been bemused why people read that tat, same with any of the tabloids to be honest with you.
                          The Times - Read by people who run the country.
                          The Guardian - Read by people who think that they should run the country.
                          Daily Mail - Read by people who think the country should be run how it used to be
                          The Telegraph - Read by people who think it still is.
                          Morning Star - Read by people who think no-one should own the country.
                          Financial Times - Read by the people that do.
                          The Sun - Read by people who don't care who runs the country as long as they have nice tits.
                          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

There was a pretty conservative paper that I read when I was hanging out with my friend, the Essex girl. Which one could it have been?

Comment

The Washington Post.
                              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Killing it is the new killing it
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                              X