Nuclear Subs/Stealth fighters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nuclear Subs/Stealth fighters

Is it just me, or does it seem these two units are seriously underpowered?

My Stealth fighters tend to get shot down a LOT (esp. by bombers if they are set on intercept mode in cities. WTF?). Then, on bombing runs they are usually pretty ineffective, maybe hitting the targets 1 time in 5.

And the Nuke subs! Aigh, these should be, with the AEGIS, the kings of the sea! But if they attack ANYTHING they usually take massive damage, and if it's an AEGIS or a Battleship, they usually die. This seems really unrealistic to me. Also, I don't like that enemy bombers can attack my subs. What's the point of their being submersibles if they are subject to arial attacks?!
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Intercepted by Bombers? Your bic file is corrupt.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I mean, I put the fighters on intercept mode in a city. When an enemy comes to bomb it, almost always their bomber destroys my fighter. I think that's BS.
      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

The power of these units is still too low, but does firaxis listen...
        Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
        Waikato University, Hamilton.

Comment

Re: Nuclear Subs/Stealth fighters

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
          Also, I don't like that enemy bombers can attack my subs. What's the point of their being submersibles if they are subject to arial attacks?!
          Ask the Germans if planes could sink subs...
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

They could, and I'm not even german!
            Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
            Waikato University, Hamilton.

Comment

Stealth fighters, just like the real-life F-117 stealth fighter, have no intercept capability. They are really 'stealth light bombers'.
              Over, under, around, or through

Comment

did you edit your bic file? stealth fighters should not have intercept, and if you did give stealth fighters the intercept command, unless you give them some attack they will always lose since they have a zero attack rating and bombers have a 2 defense rating

hope that helps

Comment

I have done very good changes, IMO, to all subs, also thusly affecting the Cruise Missle. My Nuke Subs carry up to 3 Tactical Nukes - they're pretty weak, but 3 Nukes is something.

My Subs carry one tactical nuke OR Cruise Missle. My Battleships can carry up to two Cruise Missles, and Destroyers carry one Cruise Missle. Maybe I should change this to AEGIS...

Cruise Missiles are slightly strengthened, and given teh ability to precision strikes, too, making them somewhat much more effective.
                  Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                  I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Also, I don't like that enemy bombers can attack my subs. What's the point of their being submersibles if they are subject to arial attacks?!
                    Well, there are really a lot of ASW-aircraft, almost every nation with a decent military strenght has a few. So I don´t think that is really a unrealistic thing. However, it twistes gameplay somewhat, doing the subs less worthwhile. I don´t think subs are that good, but they are so cool I use them anyway.

Comment

Right, cool .

Especially after the Lethal Bombardment has came, I'm eagerly awaiting some kind of an anti-air sea unit, an ability for units to shoot down planes.

What about giving a sea unit the Air Superiority flag? Anyone tried this out?

Comment

Originally posted by Flanker

Well, there are really a lot of ASW-aircraft, almost every nation with a decent military strenght has a few. So I don´t think that is really a unrealistic thing. However, it twistes gameplay somewhat, doing the subs less worthwhile. I don´t think subs are that good, but they are so cool I use them anyway.
                        I can see Stealth Bombers/Fighters being able to do this, but not the old WWII era bombers, at least not against nuke subs.

Also, shouldn't some of the sea units be able to shoot down aircraft? Like the AEGIS?

Thanks everyone for the info on the Stealth fighter. I think it's basically useless. Either use a stlth bomber or the jet fighter.

I would like to see the nuke sub be more potent, so I may adjust it like Solver did (except, I don't use nukes, so would make them cruise missile carriers).
                        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Boris, if you don't use Nukes, you can still make it possible for the Nuke Sub to hold both Cruise Missiles and Nukes.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                            Boris, if you don't use Nukes, you can still make it possible for the Nuke Sub to hold both Cruise Missiles and Nukes.
                            Hmmm...see, I just *choose* not to use nukes, but I don't edit them from the game. I don't know if I like the idea of other civs having that kind of power if the decide to carry nukes! LOL.
                            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Interesting Rule about the Nukes. Well, I was nuked in Civ 3, and not that it was too pleasant, sure I still wish nukes had larger effect.

Comment

Working...
                              X