Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FIRAXIS: a frequent problem, a major bug, and a minor bug (all with 1.21)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIRAXIS: a frequent problem, a major bug, and a minor bug (all with 1.21)

The frequent problem:
    In 1.17 there were a few times where the game would get stuck on a unit with 0 moves left for a few seconds. It was rare, so i just ignored it. But in 1.21 it is happening EVERY TURN with almost EVERY unit. My turns are taking almost a half an hour, and this is on a TINY MAP! I send a bomber out to bomb a city, and it returns to base, and i wait sometimes up to 20+ seconds while it sits there with 0/1 moves, and the terrain that it bombed has similar delays updating (taking off RR, irrigation, etc). Ok, so my computer isnt very good, and it has a celeron instead of the recommended pentium 2, but despite this i was able to play the game fine pre-1.21. This problem now makes civ3 almost unplayable on a tiny test map, so i cant imagine what it will do to my usual standard map games. The delay happens with all units, not just bombers. And it is a constant occurence. It also happens with Zoom to City.

The major bug (gameplay breaker):
    I built a city and it disappeared, along with my settler! I was taking over Egypt, and they had this city that I wanted to move over one space. So I built a settler in one of my native cities, took the Egyptian city. To save time, i took the city (to gain RR's) then walked my settler to the space where I wanted the city. Clicked abandon city for the egyptian one I took. Then it said "The Resistance has Ended" (and the resisance did end, instantly). A possible exploit? Well anyway so I click abandon city again and it abandons it. Then I build my city. It takes awhile to zoom to it like its supposed to (but that happens all the time, see frequent problem). SO I make it start building a temple, click the X and... my city was GONE!!! (See Screenshot below, if it works)

The minor bug:
    I was the Americans in the ancient era of a civ3 game, and suddenly i lost all the keyboard commands. Not looking forward to moving everything around with the mouse, I saved the game and reloaded. It reloaded, zoomed to... China's captial! I had no contact with the chinese, nor had i even explored the land where the capital was. The city icon in the center of the big X was not visible, but everything else was - the worked tiles had the food/shields/trade icons, the production/trade, what it was building, improvements, culture. A spot on the mini-map had the fog of war removed - the 2x2 radius of the city. When i closed the city window, that 2x2 discovered area dissappeared, and everything was back to normal. I was even able to use the keyboard again.
    The Civ3 world is one where stealth bombers are unable to sink galleons, Man-O-Wars are a powerful counter to battleships, and knights always come equipped with the AT-S2 Anti-Tank Sword.

The Simwiz2 Combat Mod Version 2.0 is available for download! See the changes here. You can download it from the CivFanatics Thread or the Apolyton Thread.

The "hanging" unit thay takes forever to end its turn so we can move on happened a lot to me with 1.17 in the Modern era. I haven't geotten that far too often yet with 1.21 so I'm not sure if it's still around.

Comment

ok well the screenshot didnt work but i uploaded it to my mod website, so you can see the screenshot here.
      The Civ3 world is one where stealth bombers are unable to sink galleons, Man-O-Wars are a powerful counter to battleships, and knights always come equipped with the AT-S2 Anti-Tank Sword.

The Simwiz2 Combat Mod Version 2.0 is available for download! See the changes here. You can download it from the CivFanatics Thread or the Apolyton Thread.

Comment

The hanging unit problem gets to be a real nuisance.
        Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
        Waikato University, Hamilton.

Comment

does anyone know if firaxis still reads these boards? i posted this so they could read it and hopefully fix the bugs, especially the first one. they dont seem to have read this, so does anyone know where i should send this to make sure they know about these bugs?

Comment

Originally posted by simwiz2
            does anyone know if firaxis still reads these boards? i posted this so they could read it and hopefully fix the bugs, especially the first one. they dont seem to have read this, so does anyone know where i should send this to make sure they know about these bugs?

firaxis still reads the boards. Soren has a post from yesterday i think in the thread about the AI onthe strat page. and speed bump has a post in the thread about new maps at civ3.com. Not sure if Mike has posted recently. so maybe they have read it. I dont know what more you could do, it is pretty obvious that you flagged something for their attention. you could probably just email your question directly to firaxis, but who knows if you woudl get an answer for your questions.

Comment

hi ,

firaxis visit's apolyton , that's for sure , now , one could speculate if they read the poll's or not , ......but , if we as players , read buyers , stop to post the problems , remarks , advice , feedback , jokes , and some "unpleasant" things then , they , firaxis , got to do it without us , and that means , more bugs , allas , i heard , they bring a patch , to patch the patch of the patch , huh , right , i dream of patches , and hope , hope , ......

oh yeah , multoplayer , i heard they have a patch to patch that as well , .........

allas , in short , unless we talk , huh , write , no patch , .......

of course , rome and paris where not build in one day , either , ....

have a nice day
              - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
              - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
              WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

A patch a day keeps complaints at bay. This is sadly not so.
                Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
                Waikato University, Hamilton.

Comment

Originally posted by panag
                  hi ,

firaxis visit's apolyton , that's for sure , now , one could speculate if they read the poll's or not , ......but , if we as players , read buyers , stop to post the problems , remarks , advice , feedback , jokes , and some "unpleasant" things then , they , firaxis , got to do it without us , and that means , more bugs , allas , i heard , they bring a patch , to patch the patch of the patch , huh , right , i dream of patches , and hope , hope , ......

oh yeah , multoplayer , i heard they have a patch to patch that as well , .........

allas , in short , unless we talk , huh , write , no patch , .......

of course , rome and paris where not build in one day , either , ....

have a nice day
                  just a question (even if it is offtopic)... does anyone understand this guy? he's driving me crazy with these... 'posts'

oh... and to make sure i'm posting something on topic:

I have experienced part of your minor bug. In many of my games, i have had 1 turn experiences where i can't use the keyboard. Mouse-interface only. But it would only last for a turn, then i get control back. Dunno if our problem is simmilar.

I might have the rest of the problem too, but by the time i usually notice this bug popping up... the cities it zooms to have already been discovered, and i tend to think its just something the AI did that made me focus on that city.
                  Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

I haven't noticed the bugs simwiz2 mentioned (or, maybe the unit delay is there but much less than 20 seconds). Somehow, this thread reminded me of another minor bug I noticed, which is that sometimes in my build window the unit icons (settlers, warriors, etc...) are red, when I'm playing a non-red civ like the Germans. About as harmless as a bug can be, but I haven't seen anyone else mention it so I thought I'd toss it out.

And yes, I too have noticed panag's unique posting style. It doesn't drive me crazy, but it sure does make me wonder who this guy is. My wildest hypothesis is that panag is the result of a artificial intelligence research project meant to see if a computer can participate in forum discussions. My sincere apologies if that's not the case.
                    "...it is possible, however unlikely, that they might find a weakness and exploit it." Commander Togge, SW:ANH

Comment

Originally posted by Dienstag

And yes, I too have noticed panag's unique posting style. It doesn't drive me crazy, but it sure does make me wonder who this guy is. My wildest hypothesis is that panag is the result of a artificial intelligence research project meant to see if a computer can participate in forum discussions. My sincere apologies if that's not the case.
                      Maybe he just enjoys some weed while he posts. What is wrong with that, man? Who hasn't at least posted while they were drunk?

Comment

I honestly haven't posted while drunk So you're 0 for 1, asleepa(t)thewheel. Now if panag cared to explain himself we could check out your other hypothesis.

[sorry for continuing this sidetrack...back on topic soon, I hope]
                        "...it is possible, however unlikely, that they might find a weakness and exploit it." Commander Togge, SW:ANH

Comment

Originally posted by Dienstag
                          I honestly haven't posted while drunk So you're 0 for 1, asleepa(t)thewheel. Now if panag cared to explain himself we could check out your other hypothesis.
                          you're certainly missing out, since you haven't posted while drunk.

and yes, thanks for bringing it to my attention that my name is missing a 't' there is a limit to the letters used, and I figured that extraneous t could go. step down Dienstag, step down.

on topic:haven't seen this problem, though my mouse (MS optical intellimouse) wigs out sometimes, scrolling all over the place. Don't think its the game though. Keyboard has never had problems inside the game.

Comment

I must have been very lucky, never have had any of these problems even i play civ3 v1.21f 2-3 hours every day.

Maybe this has something to do with the fact that i usually win or quit/restart the game before reaching the modern times ?

Comment

I have not upgraded to 1.21 yet, but I have had the problems of losing keyboard control, sometimes just one turn, sometimes multiple, sometimes I have to reboot to get it back.

I have also had wierd experiences with the screen jumping to strange places on the map, I have noticed it happens most often when I raze an enemy city...

I haven't really noticed the problem where a unit sits at 0 turns, but i do get 10-15 sec delays between units sometimes.

Comment

Working...
                              X