No announcement yet.

Fiera's 60s Thread Strikes Back. Again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiera's 60s Thread Strikes Back. Again.

And about time too. There's been far too much arcane dross flooding this forum.

Okay, here's an easy one first off. Who holds the record for the most consecutive #1 singles on the British charts?

A bit harder - name the first single and the last single in the record-breaking run.

And not much harder - name the single that stopped the record-breaking run by not making it to #1.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Never mind, my bad
    Last edited by Zopperoni; April 28, 2002, 21:58.

Comment

Nuh. Remember this is a 1960s thread.
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Originally posted by finbar
        Nuh. Remember this is a 1960s thread.
        I thought the record was broken after that...or is it era-specifically meant?

Comment

Well, to my knowledge, the record for an unbroken run of #1 singles on the British charts stands at 11. By which I mean, 11 consecutive single releases made it to #1. As far as I know, it hasn't been bettered since the 1960s.

That boyband you named has had 10 #1s - until this month - and I don't know how many of them were consecutive.

Comment

The Beatles did not have an unbroken line of #1 singles longer than 7. A record equalled but not surpassed two years ago by Westlife.

The Spice Girls have six, The Rolling Stones five.
            Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
            Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

(I could give you the borderline singles but I cheated. I won't deprive other people of the fun.)
              Last edited by Buck Birdseed; April 29, 2002, 04:14.

Comment

Sorry, Snappy, according to my records they had a run of 11 between '63 and '66. Obviously the Tony Sheridan thing doesn't count as a Beatles single in this context. Later, they had a run of 6. The Magical Mystery Tour EP popped up in the middle of the 6, but it, obviously, wasn't a single.

Comment

Ain't She Sweet/If You Love Me Baby only reached #29 in 1964.

Comment

Yeah, that was from the Tony Sheridan sessions. Recorded sometime in 1961 or 1962, released on Polydor. The Beatles didn't release it. As with My Bonny, they had no say in its release.

Comment

Well that vaguely makes it a bit uncertain. Doesn't it? Sure it's not an "official" official release, but it was hardly illegal.

Okay, I'll indulge you and let it stand.

I'll still allow other people to guess the first and last of the run.

Comment

Thanks, Finbar, I missed these old threads, and this one looks like a very nice comeback! Too bad I don't check the OT that often...

Well, let's see, a run of 11? I remember reading that the single that stopped the Beatles record-braking run was Engelbert Humperdinck's "Release me", and the Beatles single not to reach #1 because of this was "Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields Forever".

Thus, the last single of the run should be "Yellow Submarine/Eleanor Rigby". And, if I'm not wrong, the first Beatles single the top the British charts was "Please Please Me", so that would make it a run of 12 #1 singles until Yellow Submarine. So where did I make a mistake?
                        "An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike"
                        - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

Originally posted by Snapcase
                          Well that vaguely makes it a bit uncertain. Doesn't it? Sure it's not an "official" official release, but it was hardly illegal.
                          The Beatles, for obvious reasons, didn't want any of that early stuff released but they couldn't stop it. No, it's not illegal, but it - and My Bonny - aren't generally considered "Beatle records" in the scheme of things. BTW, I think Pete Best must've played on Ain't She Sweet.

Okay, I'll indulge you and let it stand.
                          As always, a gentleman and scholar.

I'll still allow other people to guess the first and last of the run.
                          Let's see what Fiera has to say ...

Comment

Originally posted by Fiera
                            Thanks, Finbar, I missed these old threads, and this one looks like a very nice comeback! Too bad I don't check the OT that often...
                            This should set that right!

Well, let's see, a run of 11? I remember reading that the single that stopped the Beatles record-braking run was Engelbert Humperdinck's "Release me", and the Beatles single not to reach #1 because of this was "Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields Forever".

Thus, the last single of the run should be "Yellow Submarine/Eleanor Rigby".
                            Elephant stamp for Fiera. Personally, I think it's one of life's great crimes that a soporific vat of treacle like "Release Me" denied probably the Beatles' finest double A-side its deserved glory.

And, if I'm not wrong, the first Beatles single the top the British charts was "Please Please Me", so that would make it a run of 12 #1 singles until Yellow Submarine. So where did I make a mistake?
                            "Please Please Me" only reached #2. Have another try.

Comment

Originally posted by finbar

"Please Please Me" only reached #2. Have another try.
                              Then it has to be "From Me To You", which would thus make for a run of 11. Though I remember reading somewhere that "Please Please Me" was their first single to top the British charts...
                              "An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike"
                              - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

Working...
                              X