Fiber optic cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiber optic cable

I think that you should be able to dig down fiber optic cables after the development of Internet and the laser. They should increase the trade based on the number of cities connected.
    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Why not. Perhaps you'll get some luxury-advantage from it too?! I usually don't have problems in finding work for my engineers, but for those who do: Why not also be able to build a power-grid, highways and canals (Suez, Panama).
    We shall go on till the end,
    We shall fight in France,
    We shall fight on the seas and oceans,
    We shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air,
    We shall defend our island,
    Whatever the cost may be,
    We shall fight on the beaches,
    We shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
    We shall fight in the hills,
    We shall NEVER surrender.

(Winston Churchill)

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by vgriph on 04-17-2001 09:26 AM
      I think that you should be able to dig down fiber optic cables after the development of Internet and the laser. They should increase the trade based on the number of cities connected.

Good idea! Furthermore, it will increase the likely hood that spies are able to steal your technology.

Comment

Or even just plain random tech leaks to other civs who are connected to your network.
        I don't have much to say 'cause I won't be here long.

Comment

Prior to fiber-optics and internet, I'd like to see a trans-oceanic telegraph (a Wonder?).

It was the first time ever that communications between Europe and the Americas took less then a week if not more (War of 1812 and the Battle of New Orleans for example, the last battle was fought 2 weeks after peace had been declared). People can proclaim the internet as being the end all be all of communications, but the fact is that no other bit of technology has ever shortened so dramatically communication time (other then maybe peace).

[This message has been edited by SerapisIV (edited April 17, 2001).]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Zardos on 04-17-2001 09:50 AM
            Good idea! Furthermore, it will increase the likely hood that spies are able to steal your technology.

Why not add a Hacker unit specialized to spy on Cities connected to the net. Plant computer virus should be an attack. Thre virus takes the trade production down to 50% for x turns.

Comment

That sounds like some of the CTP units. I never played it, but I heard it was big into non-conventional units and it pretty much sucked, at least how they were implemented by Activision. Maybe someone who played that game could comment on it or similar units.

Comment

Why not have virus attacks as a random incident too... Of course this implies that there are randome incidents...

Pinfu:

Comment

Just had another idea about this....

When you get hit by a virus (your Civ, not your computer!) maybe a message would come up saying "Wanna See some cool Picutres... click on attachment" which is then automatically clicked by the copmputer for you, and then you get the message saying 'City X has been hit by a computer virus, blah blah blah....'.

There could be a whole stock of these Virus messages too.

It's eye candy I know, but it work out allright...

Somputer Viruses shoudl spread down trade routes too...

Pingu:

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by SerapisIV on 04-17-2001 10:19 PM
                    That sounds like some of the CTP units. I never played it, but I heard it was big into non-conventional units and it pretty much sucked, at least how they were implemented by Activision. Maybe someone who played that game could comment on it or similar units.

No, there were no hackers, but there were many units that were regarded as non-combatative military units. For instance, there was the spy (almost the same as Civ), slaver (one of the more used units), infector (cool idea -- bad implementation), eco-terrorist (too powerful) and perhaps a half dozen more, whose names I forget.

The infector was a cool idea but poor implementation, as noted above. If I remember correctly, when the infector, infected a city that city became unhappy (5 discontent citizens, I believe) for a certain number of turns. The cool idea was that any city that city was trading with also had a chance to be infected, including the civilization that spawned the infector. In my opinion, an infector should cause population loss with the same idea of the virus spreading to other cities, but that is for another discussion.

Overall, I found myself using a few of the special units, but by no means most of them. Most of them were too limiting with what they could do. But I still like the idea of non-confrontational warfare (I guess its the passive-aggressive side of me ).

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by SerapisIV on 04-17-2001 02:00 PM
                      Prior to fiber-optics and internet, I'd like to see a trans-oceanic telegraph (a Wonder?).

People can proclaim the internet as being the end all be all of communications, but the fact is that no other bit of technology has ever shortened so dramatically communication time (other then maybe peace).

[This message has been edited by SerapisIV (edited April 17, 2001).]

A very good point! Not sure about fitting it in Wonder (for game effects, late appearance, etc.), but surely a great achievement.

------------------
                      Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
                      "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                      - Admiral Naismith

Comment

I like the idea of a virusattack.
                        Being able to attack means also that you will have to be able to defend yourself, how are we going these two things ??? Would it mean extra units or city-"improvements".

I don't think the idea of having to dig cable's is realistic. And It would mean a lot of extra micromanagement.
                        all in all the internet isn't such a big deal. We take them for granted now, but the telegraph and telephone in their time of introduction in the society had as much an impact as the internet has now. But does that mean we should start digging telegraph/-phone cable's too ?!.

I think all this should be included into two advances electronics and computer. A new effect of these advances could be an moderate economic bonus, of about 5 %.
                        [This message has been edited by Vrank Prins (edited April 20, 2001).]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Vrank Prins on 04-20-2001 11:17 AM
                          I like the idea of a virusattack.
                          Being able to attack means also that you will have to be able to defend yourself, how are we going these two things ??? Would it mean extra units or city-"improvements".

How about a firewall improvement?

quote:

I don't think the idea of having to dig cable's is realistic. And It would mean a lot of extra micromanagement.
                          all in all the internet isn't such a big deal. We take them for granted now, but the telegraph and telephone in their time of introduction in the society had as much an impact as the internet has now. But does that mean we should start digging telegraph/-phone cable's too ?!.

I have to agree with you I realized that it didn't fit with the other improvements after my post, but I didn't want to stop this thread by tell everyone I was wrong because there were some other ideas that were discussed here.

quote:

I think all this should be included into two advances electronics and computer. A new effect of these advances could be an moderate economic bonus, of about 5 %.

Sounds good. It may also be new advances as Networking involved.

Comment

Pardon me, but I think suggestion about datawars (hackers, firewalls, computer viruses etc.) are a bit out of announced Civ III timeline limits.

They announced that the game will end in a very near future, around 2020AC.
                            In game terms, it will leave a very short time where to discover, build and deploy any special unit like "hackers" or to wage "datawars".

Back to transoceanic telegraph, I surely don't think we must lay down any communication or power grid, a la SimCity.
                            I support the concept that before Internet that was one of the greatest advance in global communication, hence it should have a place somewhere in the game, at least an entry in tech tree and Civilopedia.

------------------
                            Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
                            "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                            - Admiral Naismith

Comment

I totally agree. I think that the netstuff and hacking is way too scifi and doesn't add any additional layer to Civ. It comes too late in the tech tree to be of much use, at least too late if the AI is actually competition otherwise you're competing for end game victories like the spaceship which is more production then science/information.

About the transoceanic telegraph, I also don't want wires to be laid all across the map. However as a wonder or tech advance would be perfect. A possible feature is that it could allow for more efficient government thereby allowing your empire to expand in end game conquests without causing huge efficiency problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X