Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you could add one required course for all students what would it be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you could add one required course for all students what would it be?

I would pick a personal financial planning course. Although basic financial knowledge is at high point (from conversations), there is still a large percentage of people out there who don't even know the most rudimentary basics of finance (like what APR is). It seems to me that this is something which is easily as valuable as a public speaking class or a health class (which everyone knows already) After all if you fail to plan your finances you might be able to retire when your 80.
    Accidently left my signature in this post.

Good idea .

I'd pick a civics class, so that people know what the Hell their government is and what it does, and 1/4th of that class focused on international relations of the US government.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I would force Women's Studies on everyone. I'm a sadistic bastard.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Philosophy.

Or Rhetoric.
        Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
        Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Philosophy was a complete waste of my time I didn't think so then but I do now.

Rhetoric would definitely be useful, as would logic.
          Accidently left my signature in this post.

Comment

Econ was a requirement at my high school, and was largely a useless class IMO (most of them were though for me). We spent a year learning the relationship between supply and demand, and only at a very basic level. If it was up to me I would have cut down on the number of required courses. Make sure the kids have the basic math, science, and language skills. Then let them pursue what interests them.

Required courses can really screw up kids who have to move from one state to another during their High School years (on top of the 'new kid' syndrome). I ended up having to take almost double the number of required courses because I moved to Idaho from Utah my sophomore year. I had no room for electives, and had to sit through what basically amounted to the same classes twice. Also, I had to take Idaho Freshman classes my Sophomore year, which meant not only did I not know anyone in my classes Sophomore year, but had to go through much of the same thing the next (akin to a move and then next year jump in grade). School was boring enough without the redundancy, and socially hard enough for me already. Not that choosing my classes would have helped me much, I have plenty of other problems!

But I'm sure it could help some kids...

Comment

Training on how to flip burgers in McDonalds.

Comment

For US students (but I;m sure every country could have their own corresponding course about what makes their country great).

Course Title: Americanism

Section I: The Federalist Papers
                Section II: The Declaration of Independence
                Section III: The Constitution of The United States

The only problem is the PC crowd wouldn't like the course. It's too un-American.

Comment

0.5/10

too superficial, too blunt... you get half a point for that last remark though, it did cause a brief spasm in my eyebrow muscular system, though the very weight of the eyebrow prevented it from being raised...

Comment

What are you on about now?
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Deity Dude's troll

Comment

Common Sense. Something that most people seem to be lacking nowadays.

Failing that, classes on how to appreciate my sense of humour.
                        "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

Oh leave people alone. If they want to squander their money, that is their perogative
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Maybe so, but I won't stand idly by while they do it!
                            "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

If most people are lacking it, how can it be common?

Comment

Working...
                              X