X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Theory of Evolution Should have never been a part (Civ3)! Part 2

In our last installment.

Thread 001

The premise essentially was that the 'Theory of Evolution' doesn't have any validity, and that god in fact created everything.

Some points at discussion are (among others are)

Definition of 'Intelligence' in material form.
    Probability of DNA
    Quantum Theory (what it is, what it proves)
    A literal Flood/Ark? Arguments against
    The 'Watchmaker Argument'
    MacroEvolution
    MicroEvolution
    Fossle evidence
    Fossil evidence
    Gaps in the fossil evidence

There is much more too... a high value scientific thread if ever I saw one.

At the end of our last episode, the creationists have seemingly decided to sulk and go away, rather than actually answer the rebuttals layed out to them.
    Last edited by MrBaggins; April 23, 2002, 12:54.

At the end of our last episode, the creationists have seemingly decided to sulk and go away, rather than actually answer the rebuttals layed out to them.
    Please let them.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Fine with me... Just wanted to point out that the Creationists left empty handed.. or should that be headed?

Comment

I have not left MrBaggins, just not had the time to make a thougthfull new post, thats all. I wonder when this will end.
        Donate to the American Red Cross.
        Computer Science or Engineering Student? Compete in the Microsoft Imagine Cup today!.

Comment

When the last of the creationist become extinct, I expect

Comment

Actually it DOES say it. It says ALL the crawled on the Earth died "and it even says that was the intent of Jehovah. It says the highest mountain was covered which clearly requires everything lower to be covered as well.

The word "earth" in your paraphrase is defined in the Hebrew as ground or land.

When Noah looked out from his raft during the flood, he would have seen the entire land covered in water, and everything that was there before, the homes, the people, the animals, the farms, would all be gone. So when the tale is told, it is being told truthfully. This is not the same as scientific truth. Let us avoid the semantic difficulty of ascribing modern meanings to words, such as "earth" being that beautiful blue ball we see in Apollo pictures.

There is very good scientific evidence that they have found a stone age civilization 100 meters beneath the surface of the Black Sea, which was flood in the time of Noah. Tantalizing that this story has been told and retold for thousands of years.

Comment

Zach... I really don't give a damn about a literal vs interpretive view of the Bible. Honestly, I could care less.

My point about the GLOBAL flood, was that some Creationists point to Noah as the reason for all the fossils in a young earth.

Comment

Form what I have seen most of us who believe life was created do not think that all fossils were formed during the Flood. Fossils have been forming for millions and millions of years. I do not hold the earth is 10,000 years old etheir.
                Computer Science or Engineering Student? Compete in the Microsoft Imagine Cup today!.

Comment

There are huge factions of literalists that do. Just because they haven't posted here (yet) doesn't mean they don't exist.

FWIW Lincoln said he did believe in a Global Flood 'as per the Bible' back a while.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBaggins
                    Zach... I really don't give a damn about a literal vs interpretive view of the Bible. Honestly, I could care less.

My point about the GLOBAL flood, was that some Creationists point to Noah as the reason for all the fossils in a young earth.
                    Ah, but it's a great story.

But back to the main point. Noah and the flood have nothing whatsoever to do with evolution, or the proof thereof.

Comment

PS. I'm an often posting for the benefit of Biblical "literalists" who need to understand the folly of arguing about any particular theory of the material world, especially when they are wrong, very wrong.

Comment

A literal view of it, is of course... wrong

I agree.

I also take viewpoint against the literal interpretation of Genesis (or even a semi-literal one)

Comment

In many parts of the Bible it uses a lot of symbols, and parrables. Many people have taken these litterally when they were not to be taken litterally.

Comment

Like the bit about god existing

Comment

I would like to say that I can see how one can believe in evolution. Would this be a correct statement or not, that most of you who believe the theory of evolution as fact that those who think that life was created by God that it is like believing that there are unicorns and other things along this line?

Comment

Working...
                              X