Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bizarre Girl Issues

So here's my issue:

I just had a date with a girl who was attractive, seemingly normal, and intelligent. Everything was going fine until I mentioned that "Interview With the Vampire" was on TV at the pizza place we had just entered. We then started to discuss really long movies. I, like any normal human being, said that I thought "The Postman" (Kevin Costner version, not the Italian version) was one of the longest and worst movies of all time. She got really uptight and said that it was her favorite movie! I got a little snide and asked her if she liked the first eight hours or the last, and she really didn't respond.

I feel a bit like Jerry Seinfeld now with this girl-she's seems all right, except for this one bizarre flaw. I'm honestly considering whether I should continue a relationship with a girl who lists "The Postman" as her favorite movie. "The Postman"! Can I really be that shallow??? Isn't this indicative of her tastes? Does this mean we are incompatible?

I also joked to her that Kevin Coster and she were the only two people on the planet that liked that movie. I think I went a bit too far with that one, but maybe she just took it as the total joke that it was. Then again, I'd probably be a little irritated if someone made cracks about "Gandhi" (my fave movie).

What should I do?
    "'It's the last great adventure left to mankind'
    Screams a drooping lady,
    offering her dreamdolls at less than extortionate prices."
    -"The Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging" (Genesis 1974)

Dude, you're willing to throw away a relationship with an attractive lady because she like "The Postman"? You need something to go wrong in your life in a serious way if this is the best you can come up with.
    I never know their names, But i smile just the same
    New faces...Strange places,
    Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
    -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

OK, if she's as cool as you say, buy her a Postman Director's Cut DVD, give it to her, and turn it into a joke
      Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
      Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Let me expand: It was a first date, we really don't know each other that well and we don't have a relationship per se.
        Screams a drooping lady,

Comment

OK....outside of the Postman issue do you want it to go further?
          Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

If the only thing wrong is 'The Postman' then you got it good .
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Again, it's just a movie. The best thing would be to get here to watch your favorite movie and get her to like it - you've already got an in because of the Postman stuff. If she insists on you watching "The Postman" just remember it does have a small sex scene
              I never know their names, But i smile just the same
              New faces...Strange places,
              Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
              -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

I'll expand some more with a girl I dated who seemed very normal, intelligent, and attractive - quite a bit like this girl. Coincidentally, she had a weird "thing" that caught my attentionon our first date: she hooked up with a local TV weatherman who is a total doofus. I decided to let it pass and start up a relationship

Well, as normal as she seemed, she got really freaky and turned out to be a member of a supremacist group. I'm not kidding. As a half-minority (part hispanic, but I don't look it) and earning a minor in African Studies, it totally turned me off, ended the relationship, and I felt like a wasted three weeks of my life.

I don't think this girl is that weird, but I'm definitely more on edge due to this previous girl. Small inconsistencies, especially bizarre ones, can manifest themsleves in large and equally bizarre ways.
                Last edited by Cairo_East; April 20, 2002, 23:56.
                Screams a drooping lady,

Comment

Originally posted by Cairo_East
                  I'll expand some more with a girl I dated who seemed very normal, intellignet, and attractive - quite a bit like this girl. Coincidentally, she had a weird "thing" that caught my attentionon our first date: she hooked up with a local TV weatherman who is a total doofus. I decided to let it pass and start up a relationship

Well, as normal as she seemed, she got really freaky and turned out to be a member of a supremacist group. I'm not kidding. As a half-minority (part hispanic, but I don't look it) and earning a minor in African Studies, it totally turned me off, ended the relationship, and I felt like a wasted three weeks of my life.

I don't think this girl is that weird, but I'm definitely more on edge due to this previous girl. Small inconsistencies, especially bizarre ones, can manifest themsleves in large and equally bizarre ways.
                  What did the weatherman have to do with being a supremacist?
                  "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Well my ex girlfriend liked Arrowsmith's "I don't wanna miss a thing" and the horrible movie Pearl Harbor, yet I still went out with her. We lasted six months. But I'm now glad I don't have to listen to country music and watch sappy movies! Yeehaw!

Cairo, is she a scientologist? that was the first thing that popped into my mind.
                    "It woulda been nice to have naked midgets serving us cocktails everyday." - Brandon Boyd of Incubus

"...gays who, because they just NEEDED their orgies..." -Mr. A. Speer

Comment

What's wrong with that Aerosmith song???

Comment

The weatherman has nothing directly in common with the supremacist, but it was a small oddity that became a HUGE oddity.

A scientologist? I'm not sure. That would be an interesting development. I'll casually mention L. Ron Hubbard next time we go out and see how she responds.
                        Screams a drooping lady,

Comment

Awww, David, you're so innocent!
                          "It woulda been nice to have naked midgets serving us cocktails everyday." - Brandon Boyd of Incubus

Comment

Oh ot's a sad song, I know...but I like it. Just can't listen to it

Comment

She sounds kinda fruity. Proceed with caution... by then again, you are consulting us, so it seems you are taking the necessary screening process for an apolyton male.

Comment

Working...
                              X