Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Theory of Evolution Should have never been a part of this game!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Evolution vs. beautiful wrist watch

Originally posted by danimal
    I want you to imagine that you are walking through the woods and you stumble across a Wrist Watch lying on a tree stump. Would you choose to believe that the watch was a product of evolution..that everything in the universe just lined up correctly and fell into place...and voila...the Wrist watch evolved. Or would you chose to believe somewhere was a watchmaker that made the watch? I think you would believe the latter.
    And a crowd gathered around the watch and they were amazed. Who created this beautiful thing? It must be God. And they all raised their hands to the skies and prayed. Then they took the watch and built a temple around it.

A few years later, a man appeared. "Who are you?", the people asked.

"I am a watchmaker," he said.

And lo, they were happy and they danced with glee and they raised their hands to the heavens in thanks and they bestowed great wealth upon the watchmaker (and the watchmaker was rather confused, but who wants to turn down a good thing).

Then one day, a woman asked: "you created the watch and you are god, but who created you?"

The watchmaker was stumped. "Ah, um, I exist outside of space and time."

The woman replied: "That makes no sense whatsoever."

And the people started to wonder and to doubt and there was great sorrow and confusion.

So they killed the woman and everyone lived happily ever after.
    Golfing since 67

Comment

• I want you to imagine that you are walking through the woods and you stumble across a Wrist Watch lying on a tree stump. Would you choose to believe that the watch was a product of evolution..that everything in the universe just lined up correctly and fell into place...and voila...the Wrist watch evolved. Or would you chose to believe somewhere was a watchmaker that made the watch? I think you would believe the latter.

Watches don't reproduce. They don't mutate and aren't subject to environmental pressure from climate change and predators.

What a horrible analogy.
      Poor silly humans. A temporarily stable pattern of matter and energy stumbles upon self-cognizance for a moment, and suddenly it thinks the whole universe was created for its benefit. -- mbelleroff

Comment

• No, it does not matter how much pressure there is. Read the entire statement. We are talking about assembling into a complicated machine with interactive parts. Also the analogy is concerning origins so evolution is not yet in operation. A random process cannot produce an information based machine

Evolution is certainly in operation, as the author had already stipulated to the existence of a self-catalyzing molecule. As soon as you have a structure that reproduces itself evolution comes into action. I'm also not claiming that human beings sprang full-formed from the primordial ooze; that part took billions of years, with millions of intermediary steps. Your analogy is fraudulent.

1. statistics
        2. syntax
        3. semantics
        4. pragmatics
        5. apobetics

Please provide the formula which computes the "information" inside an organism's DNA and the proof from mathematical or physical principles which demonstrates that chance combined with environmental pressures selecting for the most efficiently reproductive strands of DNA cannot account for increase in "information" from generation to generation.
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Re: Re: Evolution vs. beautiful wrist watch

Originally posted by Tingkai

And a crowd gathered around the watch and they were amazed. Who created this beautiful thing? It must be God. And they all raised their hands to the skies and prayed. Then they took the watch and built a temple around it.

And lo, they were happy and they danced with glee and they raised their hands to the heavens in thanks and they bestowed great wealth upon the watchmaker (and the watchmaker was rather confused, but who wants to turn down a good thing).

Then one day, a woman asked: "you created the watch and you are god, but who created you?"

And the people started to wonder and to doubt and there was great sorrow and confusion.

And to think - stupid creationists thought that would stump the evolutionists All they did was highlight their own ignorance

Comment

• Even though I support the idea that life was created by God, I think that including theory of evolution as a wonder of the world is not bad. Reason? Because it has had a major impact on the course of human history, weather that influence be good or bad I guess would depend on who you ask.
            Donate to the American Red Cross.
            Computer Science or Engineering Student? Compete in the Microsoft Imagine Cup today!.

Comment

• What really gets me is that Firaxis has ascribed Theory of Evolution as The Wonder of Grand Enlightenment! (two free techs)

"Look- I am decended from monkeys! I feel smarter already." Move thimble past 'Go!' and collect two free techs.

It is hilarious, isn't it?

Comment

• Well, I guess the argument is that it opened up a whole new area of possibilities for technological development that clinging to creationism wouldn't.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• What I don't understand is why Christians can't see that evolution can co-exist with their beliefs. I would have thought the logical reaction would be to say that evolution is simply part of a god's greater design of the world. Didn't someone once say that god is the sum of all the natural laws of the universe.
                  Golfing since 67

Comment

• Christian evolutionists

A lot of them do. Creationism is not even an issue in Europe. I presume it is not an issue in Canada either.
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                      Well, I guess the argument is that it opened up a whole new area of possibilities for technological development that clinging to creationism wouldn't.
                      But I fail to see how so? Technological development was well on its way already by the time Evolution was proposed. And technological development continues with what I suspect is little regard for evolution or creationism.

Comment

• Re: Theory of Evolution Should have never been a part of this game!

Originally posted by Draco aka Se7eN
                        THERE IS NO SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE ANYWHERE THAT SUPPORTS EVOLUTION...its seriously disturbing how evolution is passed off as fact in our culture. We teach it as fact to our children.

Evolution is the root of our social problems today.
                        The "Theory of Evolution" is acknowledged as a fact, as you can use it in every aspect to change life forms. It even has been use for centuries without even knowing it to develop new species via breeding, today via genetics.

Example: "God" just created wolfs, no dogs. Bobtails cannot be found in nature. However, in some US states Darwins theory is not allowed to be taught in schools anymore because it hurts the feelings of religious fanatics.

You see, religious fanatics are the root of many problems today.
                        The most bloodiest slaughters in history and today are lead by fanatic people who think they are allowed to speak and to act in the name of God…

In my opinion these people should get a mental treatment.
                        btw: I think God did a great job by creating a world that allows Evolution
                        Kai · Team www.civilized.de

Comment

• btw: I think God did a great job by creating a world that allows Evolution
                          Well, I don't believe in God, but a world in which nothing ever changed would be pretty boring, IMO.

But I fail to see how so? Technological development was well on its way already by the time Evolution was proposed. And technological development continues with what I suspect is little regard for evolution or creationism.
                          1) It was another blow to religious power against science (after heliocentrism). I may be biased, but I don't think that relgion meddling in science does any good at all. The two are virtual opposites.

2) It may have stimulated the discovery of genetics (evolutionists needed a mechanism to make eveloution work, and genetics fit perfectly).

3) There are other developments that have sprung from evoution, e.g. the genetic algorithms that everyone is bringing up, and also the idea that the universe was not created soly for the benefit of humans.

Also, if you want to watch creationists making a REAL mockery of themselves, check out this link:

Comment

• Originally posted by Sinapus
                            So, what, the Earth is carried on this giant turtle, right? Or was that a whole bunch of elephants?
                            Duh, it´s both. The Great Turtle carries the four elephants (why four you might ask? Because three is too few and five is too many...) and they in turn carry the disc known as Earth.
                            I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

• As a European, I was indeed surprised on how the debate about this was hot : 9 pages in less than a day ! For something I never ever discussed, and neither I nor my friends thought about discussing !
                              If there weren'y religious States in the US which forbid evolutionism, I suppose it wouldn't be a debate in the US either.
                              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

• Re: Re: Evolution vs. beautiful wrist watch

Originally posted by Tingkai

I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Working...
                                X