B-52H turns 50!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B-52H turns 50!

The B-52H turns fifty today, and it's still kicking ass and taking names!

Happy B-day, B-52H!

Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

It's a machine that was produced to kill human beings on a massive scale, and it was constructed AFTER the second world war. I just don't know what to think about people that are happy about such an anniversary... therefore:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthelion
      It's a machine that was produced to kill human beings on a massive scale, and it was constructed AFTER the second world war. I just don't know what to think about people that are happy about such an anniversary... therefore:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
      same could be said about MtG...

oh , and it is a nice plane. Shame it has such a dirty job.
      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Saw an interview with an Air Force general; he said the current goal is to keep them in service until 2040. Quite amazing.
        "Let us kill the English! Their concept of individual rights could undermine the power of our beloved tyrants!"

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc

Comment

Hurray for the plane that killed 5 million people. yay.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

5 million? Can you explain me that number?
            Blah

Comment

While I share your point chegitz - where does that figure come from?

Comment

Koreans, Vietnamese, Laotians, Cambodians, Iraqis . . . not so many Koreans and Iraqis.

2.5 million Koreans died in the war, mostly from allied air raids.

2 million Vietanames died in the war, mostly from American air raids.

1 million Laotians died during their civil war, mostly from American air raids.

2 million Cambodians died in the war, mostly from American air raids.

etc.

If not killed directly by the air raids themsevles, then by the economic disruption (and in Cambodia, the inability of the government to cope with the disaster of US bombing led to the Khmer Rouge taking power).

It's an indiscriminate monster. It doesn't just kill people, it kills nations.

Yes, I realize the numbers don't add up. That's because lots of people were killed by other methods and other planes, but the Stratofortress was the important one.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

remember: Guns don't kill people. people kill people .

*runs*
                  urgh.NSFW

Comment

but I must agree. The expression *carpet bombing* says it all.
                    urgh.NSFW

Comment

Dal - they did that before they had that plane. I think the names of cities like Dresden or Coventry are pretty famous. And carpet bombing was already pretty popular among warmongers like Hitler or Churchill back then.

EDIT: forgot to mention Roosevelt and Truman, of which one practised carpet bombing. The latter didn't. He preferred the quicker way of eradicating thousands of innocent lives under the pretext of hitting industrial and military facilities.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                        Koreans, Vietnamese, Laotians, Cambodians, Iraqis . . . not so many Koreans and Iraqis.

2.5 million Koreans died in the war, mostly from allied air raids.

2 million Vietanames died in the war, mostly from American air raids.

1 million Laotians died during their civil war, mostly from American air raids.

2 million Cambodians died in the war, mostly from American air raids.

etc.

If not killed directly by the air raids themsevles, then by the economic disruption (and in Cambodia, the inability of the government to cope with the disaster of US bombing led to the Khmer Rouge taking power).

It's an indiscriminate monster. It doesn't just kill people, it kills nations.
                        Yes, I realize the numbers don't add up. That's because lots of people were killed by other methods and other planes, but the Stratofortress was the important one.
                        So in the second part you said the plane itself did not kill those 5 millions?

Don´t get me wrong, it´s not that I´m saying it was great to bomb the people in those countries back to the stone age, but I think also an emotional (and wrong) statement does not bring back one of them, and it does not help to understand what happened there...
                        Blah

Comment

Maybe so, but the Stratofortress obliterates an area approximately 1 kilometre wide and 4k long. It's in its own catagory of destructiveness.

Comment

1 plane can cover an area that is 1 km wide?

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
                              So in the second part you said the plane itself did not kill those 5 millions?
                              If you add up the numbers, you will note that there are 7.5 million dead, not including unnumbered Iraqis. Five million is not a completely outrageous guestimate.

Comment

Working...
                              X