text Issue with Windows XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• text Issue with Windows XP

okay, I do not even KNOW how many different website forums I have posted this issue to, and to be perfectly frank i am getting a little sick of it. As an aside, I have no website to link these pics of the problem to, can I still post them on the forum from my computer, or no??

Anyways, here is the prob (request for pics if you want):
    everything worked fine until I upgraded my nvidia drivers from the factory XP drivers to detonators (ANY detonator caused ths problem):
    the fonts do not fit into the windows they are supposed to, so I lose some text off of the screen and the fonts appear very ugly.

here is what I have done to try to fix the problem (none of these things worked):
    - upgrade with patch 1.17f
    - uninstall video drivers and 'system restore' to factory drivers
    - change the true type text file to times new roman from LSANS
    - ensure font smoothing is on
    - ensure font is set to normal size
    - change font size in the civilzation.ini file to 12 from 16
    - add KeepRes=1 to civilization.ini
    - add Video Mode = 1280 to civilization.ini
    these did NOTHING, so I uninstalled EVERYTHING and reinstalled:
    same crap as before
    - bought new video card -> ATI Radeon 8500 (I didn't buy this card for the particular problem, I was just upgrading )
    - made sure every instance of Nvidia was off of my computer and tried with ATI:
    EXACT same problem still occurring.

i am prepared to reinstall Win XP Pro, but since this problem happened after I installed the video drivers, then I may have no luck anyways.

Please please please please tell me someone has an idea

thanks in advance

I have the same problem on Windows 98.

Actions taken:
    Install Windows on new hard disk.
    Download all patches from Windows Update.
    Upgrade from ATI Rage 128 Pro to Geforce 2 MX200.
    Install latest Nvidia Detonator Drivers (28.32)
    Install Civilization 3.
    Apply 1.17f patch.
    Ensure "Smooth edges of screen fonts" is on.

Result:
    Ugly text (I can cope with that)
    Extra spacing between text lines which leads to text running out of screen in some cases.

Running with KeepRes=1 at 1280x1024 works around the out of screen problem, but it is still annoying.
    Attached Files
    "In some of its more lunatic aspects, political correctness is merely ridiculous. But in the thinking behind it, there is something more sinister which is shown by the fact that already there are certain areas and topics where freedom of speech, in the sense of the right to open and frank discussion, is being gradually but significantly eroded." -- Judge Neil Denison

Comment

good someone else suffers too

here is a couple more screen shots (I think this will work):
      [IMG]"d:\civ III fail2.jpg"[/IMG]

Comment

I've got XP Home, Nvidia GForce2 graphics card. I had to update the drivers to get my Medal Of Honor game working and sort out a text problem in Combat Mission. However, it has made no difference to the text in Civ3, everything is fine.

However I have had some wierd graphics problems, one with an army that appeared invisible, some problems with the aircraft graphics (sometimes interceptions would appear, sometimes not) and the game crashing during the computers turn (probably totally irrelevant, but it never happened before - see thread Game Crashes / Hangs). In fact it was when I started to get these wierd grahics problems (well into the game approx 2020AD) that the game started to do its crashing thing as well.

Comment

This thread has your solution

Comment

Working...
          X