One City Islands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One City Islands

is there a way to capture a one city island? if an isnald is 1 terrain square, and there is a city built on it? i cant think of a way to take it before i get marines because bombarding it doesn't KILL the unit and i cant attack off a boat.

any ideas?
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

mmm...

Either Amphibian warfare tech or cultural flipping... i think those are the only options...
    Image is just your imagination. Reality is rarely revealed. - Geri Halliwell

Comment

like spicytim said, marines are required. this may change with the new patch of course.

cruise missles will destroy the unit as well

or try propaganda

When I see a city like this, I usually make sure I ask for it first when the computer comes grovelling or I want a brief respite.

Comment

yes...

yes asleepathewheel that's a gd suggestion i missed.... propaganda... it should work.... but unless u r finishing a civ off, there's really no pt in getting those cities... or am i missing sth very important here???

spicytimothy
        Image is just your imagination. Reality is rarely revealed. - Geri Halliwell

Comment

Besides waiting for Marines there is an other way. Won't work for a one city civ though. Go to war and demand the city as part of peace.

Don't ask me if it works. I read that one here. So far I have never taken a one tile island. I think I have only built one marine.

Comment

it's their last city, it's their cap no culture or propaganda
            "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
            - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Then there is only one way.

Marines.

Fill one or two transports with marines and bombard the heck out of the city before the assault. You may have to bombard for many turns especially if they have Mechanized Infantry.

Not exactly brilliant or clever but sometimes brute force is the only way.

Comment

I had that problem once you have two options really.

First option which is my favorite, let them live! If they are on an island square they cant do much harm to you , especially if they only have one unit. they might try to build a boat and come afer you later, but hey it will take them 120 turns to do that. I love having little countries like that around.

Your second choice is to just put a naval blockade around the damn city so they cant trade , and let them wallow in their own misery for ever!

The first one is best so you can then turn around and befriend them with gold and wines , so when you build the UN chances are they will vote for you. My only diplomatic victory ever was because I did that to about 3 other countries ( I had England and Russia both down to 1 city , and they were within my border) , Germany was stuck on a small island at the time too. The only other 2 countires were Rome and France , but I won since I had Russia , England , and Germany under my thumb.

Comment

No, you need marines absolutaly.
                  -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Working...
                  X