Diplomatic Victory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diplomatic Victory

Does anyone else turn the Diplomatic Victory off? It really annoys me that the game will suddenly end without warning, and is then decided on a popularity contest. Or is there a way of predicting when it will occur?

Ollie

Once the UN is built, the popularity contest takes place immediately, then there's another vote every 20 turns. If you build the UN, you can refuse to let the vote happen.
    Ways to prevent diplomatic defeat : well, I'd say, make the others hate each other ! Bribe them outrageously to betray their friends, and at the same time, give some per-turn-money and trade with everyone to make them happy with you. If they vote for you, you're sure they won't vote fore anybody else.

About your first question : I don't toggle off any kind of victory... Usually, when I start a game, I try to win through culture (still never made it, I should play with the Babs ), but because of my inability, I end up winning another way.
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

I see. Does the game always end after the first popularity contest that isn't vetoed by the civ that built/owns the UN?

Comment

If the vote is a tie, then the game continues. If there are an odd number of civs, and you do not control the UN, you can force a tie by abstaining, if the circumstances are right.

Comment

The best way to control it is to build the UN yourself. If the AI gets it, you have no control. I always build it and save the game just before the vote. I almost always win it, but if i have an interesting late game going, i won't bother with the vote, preferring to play out a war or whatever. The late game can get tedious when peace breaks out and the UN is a good way to just get the game over with.
          [c3c] 1.22(f?)
          For better barbarians, add NoAIPatrol=0 to conquests.ini (see this thread )

Comment

I always turn off Diplomatic and Space Race victory. It bothers me when you're going along having a great game and then suddenly it's over right in the middle.

It's good that they have these for players that want them, but I like that they've included the option to turn them off.
            petey

-When in doubt attack. When not in doubt, attack anyways - it's more fun

Comment

I always turn off...

Cultural Victory... Don't like the concept of a "victory" from culture.

Domination Victory... If I'm gonna fight wars to win, I wanna conquer every city on the map, not stop 2/3 of the way there.

Diplomatic Victory... I think this one is silly. All you need is enough cash to buy the vote.

Comment

Diplomatic victory was handled better in SMAC.
                John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

I could swear once I turned OFF the Diplomatic Victory option - but still the U.N. vote was held. I ALWAYS turn it oiff and leave it off, BTW.

Comment

Originally posted by watorrey
                    The late game can get tedious when peace breaks out
                    I know, I hate it when all the Civs spread havoc and destroy everyone's carefully thought out plans by declaring peace left right and centre....

Comment

I kind of like the diplomatic option. Since I dont pay close attention to who might vote for me it can lead to some surprising results!
                      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Working...
                      X