We need LESS modern units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We need LESS modern units

Although many will disagree with this opinion, I think the best thing that could happen to civ would be to lessen or eliminate the modern period in civ. For me, civ is an incredible game up until about the industrialization period. The way civ is designed, a civilization acts more like a collection of city states than anything else. In the early years, it is a constant battle for survival, struggling to find a workable balance between development, expansion, and maintaining an army. Just when all is going well, you are either attacked or feel it necessary to start a war, resulting in an incredible strain on your resources.

By industrialization, however, in my personal opinion, the game starts to fall apart. Many of the qualities that make the early part of the game so fun and dynamic start to disappear. The aspects of civ that make it a great game in the early periods don't seem to translate well in the modern era.

If I had my way, I'd like to see development slowed and stretched out, with more advancements added in, and additional military units and upgrades included. The musketman, or perhaps the rifleman, should be the end of the military tree, and the knight and/or calvary unit would increase in prominence and remain a viable unit for a long period of time. As the game plays now, by the time the knight comes into existence, it is soon made obsolete by infrantryman, tanks, bombers, etc. -- especially since version 1.17, which only serves to greatly speed up technological advancement.

Re: We need LESS modern units

Originally posted by Autolicus
    Although many will disagree with this opinion...
    You're right.

I'm the total opposite, I feel better once I'm in industrial and modern ages. Mostly because of the rail roads, making it easier to move around.

What you could do slow down advancements, is increase the minimum research time (like say, 4 to 10) and maximum time (like say, 40 to 45). That will slow research time down. If you're lucky, you'll be in middle ages by 2050.
    I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

I agree with some of this. I think the industrial/modern ages go way too fast. This is due to several reasons. First, techs take longer to get in the first two ages because (1) your cities are less developed and (2) you don't have contact with many of the other civs. By the industrial age, you have the beginnings of mega-cities and you are in touch with everyone. This means you get tech advances MUCH faster than normal. In addition, the industial age has VERY few buildings in comparison with the other ages... this means your cities are often just sitting around spitting out units or producing wealth rather than constantly building improvements like in the first two ages. If there was more to build in the industrial age and techs took MUCH more research to discover, this problem would be solved.

Also, there really is essentially NO modern age if you are playing with Space Race Victory on. Spaceship parts become available so quickly that there is no point in trying to continue a conquest unless you are so far in advance on research that the conquest doesn't really matter. Once you get to the modern age, it's just a race to build the spaceship before anyone else, with ICBM production taking up those cities that don't have parts being built. The modern age would be MUCH better if you started getting spaceship parts AFTER all the rest of the technologies. I have played about 20-25 games through to the modern age... I have gotten Robotics ONCE.

Comment

I have what I think would be a great way of bringing this about, if there was ever a Civ IV -- alter the way technological advances work. For example, there should be twenty or so (could be more or less) fundamental advances that all players need to establish -- pottery, the wheel, monotheism, etc. Then, within each fundamental advancement, there should be the option of developing quite a number of "lesser" technologies made available by the fundamental advancement. That way, it would truly require the player to make decisions, since the more effort one placed into developing lesser technologies, the slower advancement would be on the fundamental ones.

Also, rather than only being able to research one technology at a time, a player should be able to allocate percentages to a few at a time.

Along this line, there could be a number of military options available. For example, take archery -- which was a major military technology for many, many years. Instead of just having the archer (and longbowmen as the UU for the English), the "lesser" advancements could allow for short bows, long bows, composite bows, etc. The same could be applied in many areas. That way, one would have much more control over the type of military force created. One player, for example, could decide to develop a much more effective archery unit, while another focused resources into developing hand-to-hand units, etc.

The effect would

Comment

the modern part of the game is fun, but i believe naval / air combat should be revamped a bit to make it for interesting. i never feel like i'm "racing for naval superiority" or air superiority for that matter.

by that point it's just "build 40 bombers by next turn".

the beginning of the game, the early wars over colonization rights, where some civs are behind, and some ahead, is probably the best part of any given civ game, and there's no way to change / elongate that period, and no reason to
          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
          - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Then, within each fundamental advancement, there should be the option of developing quite a number of "lesser" technologies made available by the fundamental advancement. That way, it would truly require the player to make decisions, since the more effort one placed into developing lesser technologies, the slower advancement would be on the fundamental ones.
            do you mean, for example, you research Mapmaking, which has the sub-divisions Hullmaking, Oar Design, Masts, etc? each with their own benefit? (+1 move or something?) so you could essentially have crappy boats but still move on, or you could be a little behind but have kickass boats?

sounds complicated but extremely fun and involving. civ IV material.
            "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."

Comment

Exactly. And it would not only be limited to military units, but would give you the opportunity to really make a unique civilization. For example, the fundamental advancement of monotheism would allow for a number of subset religious advancements. Depending upon the religion you research, it would affect the quality of your civilization. A war-like religion might increase you military ability, but allow for less stability. Another religion might increase happiness at some expense to productivity.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX

Put a space in there Uber, or else ming might think your
                  I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Originally posted by TinCow
                    the industial age has VERY few buildings in comparison with the other ages... this means your cities are often just sitting around spitting out units or producing wealth rather than constantly building improvements like in the first two ages. If there was more to build in the industrial age and techs took MUCH more research to discover, this problem would be solved.
                    korn's Blitz Mod
                    "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

Originally posted by Autolicus
                      Instead of just having the archer (and longbowmen as the UU for the English), the "lesser" advancements could allow for short bows, long bows, composite bows, etc.
                      Like Age of Empires? My storage pit can research scale armor now. Where would unique units play into this? Would you have to research a minor tech to get them or just one of the major ones? It would provide an interesting dynamic to the game.

Another interesting spin on this could be that you can only trade or steal these minor techs, not the major ones like writing, government types, nationalism, military traditon, warrior code.

How can you teach a civilization to write? But you can teach them how to make maps or explain how an embassy works. How can you trade for a sense of nationalism? I'll give you 500 gold and spices for 20 turns to instill my people with the feeling that they are part of a unique nation.

Sidebar... I've often wondered how someone can have an alphabet but not be able to write.

Comment

Originally posted by dunk999

Another interesting spin on this could be that you can only trade or steal these minor techs, not the major ones like writing, government types, nationalism, military traditon, warrior code.
                        :
                        I like that. One of the things that would prevent is the tech race spiraling out of control like it does now -- as well as allow for some nations to slowly lose out in the tech race.

Comment

Making big advances untradable is a bit radical... and it would take forever to go to the next era. But there should be an incentive to develop its own techs rather than trading them like hell. Someone once suggested techs you developed autonomously give culture ; I think it's a good idea. Maybe civs who recieve your techs should be more prone to flock to you also.
                          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

i think it's an AWESOME idea! not only would it make the game even MORE in depth, and add a whole new dynamic to the game, but it wouldradically change the entire concept behind your personal civilization. as a general sort of overview, you could have iron working (defensive or offensive) and get +1 on offense / defence with your swordsmen, or something.

another reason i like this idea: it enongates the game in a healthy and FUN way. people whine about not using units for a long time and moving too quickly through ages.

imagine a middle age with 30 techs, and 120 sub techs. your naval units slowly improve until you get a radical new deisgn (caravels gets upgrades until you get galleons).

i canno express how much i love this idea.

Comment

also, if you did that a good way to balance it would be to make the units of the era match a little. for example, a horsemen in the ancient times with full upgrades (every subtech) should be just a bit weaker than a non-upgraded knight. that way focusing on the ancient weapons wouldnt really hinder your war efforts in the long run.

Comment

Working...
                              X