Re-Install failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-Install failure

I installed and played Civ III (the day it was released) on my PC with no problems. I did the v1.16f update, had no problems. I did the v1.17f update and had no problems. Later, I decided to uninstall and then re-install the game and do the v1.17f update without the v1.16f update (jet fighter intercept did not seem to work).

After doing the uninstall I am now unable to re-install Civ III at all. The setup menu pops up and instead of an "Install" button I have a "Reinstall" button. When I push it I get an option to remove the game (!!?), which I have already done. I push the button anyway and it does something very quickly and I wind up with one new file (a 2.8 meg civIII exe file) in my Windows directory. I have tried uninstalling and installing via the Windows control panel as well with no better luck. Something seems to be residing on my PC that tells the setup that Civ III is still there. I have subsequently manually deleted all directories and files that have "CiV" in them.

And yes, I disable all running programs, including Norton prior to trying to re-install.

I am using a Dell Dimension 4400 1.8 GHz w/ 256 megs RAM and Geforce2 video card & Win XP.

Help.

And what happened?

Deen

1. Look in your program files dirctory for a hidden map named InstallShield Installation Information.
    2. Rename it to sometihn, say InstallShield Installation Information.bak
    3. Try to install again.
    4. Run Civ3 and start a game and exit (so all files created at first run are created before you patch)
    5. Install the 1.17f patch
    6. Go to the new InstallShield Installation Information directory, and move all folders frokm it to the old and replace files.
    7. delete the new, and name the old back.
    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Thanks Gramphos. I have already fixed the problem by editing the registry. This was my first effort at registry modification and it was not something I want to do again. Apparently when you do either or both of the updates additional sets of "remove program" entries are made. Only one set is removed when you remove Civ III and subsequently Civ won't re-install because those remaining registry entries are telling it that Civ III is still there....but there is nothing to remove.

I re-installed just fine, but did not start and save a game before updating. Is this a problems?

Comment

I've seen a number of posts with uninstall-reinstall problems (I've had them too). Hopefully, firaxis is paying attention and they will fix it.
        We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
        If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
        Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by solops
          I re-installed just fine, but did not start and save a game before updating. Is this a problems?
          Might be, but not neccicarily, it depends on your Computer. The safest is to always do it, rather that having to redo the full reinstall again. However if it works there should be no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Gramphos

Might be, but not neccicarily, it depends on your Computer. The safest is to always do it, rather that having to redo the full reinstall again. However if it works there should be no problems.
            The game is playing just fine. IF there had been a problem with the updating due to not saving a game how would it manifest itself?

Comment

FYI I got this from Infogrammes Tech Support after I had fixed the problem by doing something similar.

Solops

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THIS OPERATION IS VERY SENSITIVE, PLEASE READ THE WARNING BELOW BEFORE
              ATTEMPTING TO CHANGE ANYTHING !!

WARNING: Please be very careful when you are in this registry editor. Any
              changes that you make even if they are accidental can not be overturned. You
              MUST exercise extreme caution when working with the editor as any incorrect
              change can crash your computer. If you are not familiar with windows , its
              settings, and this editor we do not recommend you doing this alone. Please
              contact a certified technician for help if you are not sure of how this
              editor (regedit) works. We also advise you to keep regular backups of your
              system in case of failure due to any reason.

Then start up your reg editor.
              Start --> Run --> type: "regedit" --> enter

The first three keys are:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\MenuOr
              der\Start Menu\&Programs\Infogrames Interactive\Civilization III]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Infogrames Interactive\Civilization III]

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion\Explorer\Menu
              Order\Start Menu\&Programs\Infogrames Interactive\Civilization III]

You can get to those, by clicking the little plus next to each folder with
              the names listed above between the slash (\).

The fourth one is a bit more complicated and the most important. In the
              registry editor, if you follow the folders to
              HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall, you
              will need to look for a folder with a name similar to
              {978A2104-8363-11D4-AA23-0000E889C4DA}. It probably won't be this exact
              one, but if you click on the entries, there should be one that has a
              DisplayName that is "Civilization III". Once you determine which key it is,
              you can delete it.

If responding, please reply so that I have all prior contacts.

Janea
              Infogrames-U.S.

Comment

Originally posted by solops
                The game is playing just fine. IF there had been a problem with the updating due to not saving a game how would it manifest itself?
                Mostly in crashes at start of new games, in any of the setup screens, so I uess that it worked for you. till 'I'm not sure when it works and when it doesn't. Howverer, I've only heard that it doesn't work for people not running the game once before patching.

Comment

Working...
                X