Big Huge Games: Rise of Nations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Huge Games: Rise of Nations

GameSpot is the world's largest source for PS4, Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U, PS Vita, Wii PC, 3DS, PSP, DS, video game news, reviews, previews, trailers, walkthroughs, and more.

Wow, all that work for a game a lot like Empire Earth, which was a lot like Age of Empires, which was a lot like Warcraft.
    Sure they've come up with some interesting ideas, but nothing that hasnt been said on fansite nessage boards.

Its just another RTS in a long line of them, not the end all, be all, great idea they claimed they had when they left firaxis. Oh well.

as long as bas makes his own civ game, like Civilisation: Brian Reinolds is god

like Civ:CTP but a proper game
    eimi men anthropos pollon logon, mikras de sophias

Comment

This'll get moved. Apolyton has a BHG forum.

But having seen the screenshots, it does look tremendously like AoK Only throughout all the ages.

I really hope this works, cos I can see lots of potential to come really close to greatness, but flop in SP like Cossacks did.
      Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
      "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Yeah, I was hoping for more Civ and less RTS, especially from Brian since all of the changes he made from CivII and SMAC were great.

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
          This'll get moved. Apolyton has a BHG forum.
          Well, Apolyton has CtP1/2 forums too, nevertheless there were several threads here.

Comment

This game does sound great, but like IW I hope it isn't too much like AoK.
            However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

The interface looks exactly like AoK. But this here screenie does look dope!

The hills in the other screenies do look very very nice too.

-FMK.

Comment

Don't get me wrong I think that the graphics look awesome, but I hope that the gameplay isn't a lot like AoK.
                However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

Those ships are in the Spanish ancient age? I wonder what monsters they will have in the modern age?!

Comment

Oh....if only civ3 could have looked like that....would it have been THAT hard?
                    If the voices in my head paid rent, I'd be a very rich man

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ralph
                      Those ships are in the Spanish ancient age? I wonder what monsters they will have in the modern age?!
                      Yeah, I was wondering the same thing.
                      Maybe they made the screenie with a cheat mode whilst still in the ancient era?

Wait a minute, they must have. Note that the Red 'Civ' doesnt seem to have any land on the coast. Must be a quick mock up, methinks.

-FMK.

Comment

Looks like another AOK clone to me. I hope they try to add some sort of innovation, instead of just more Rock-Paper-Scissors. However with the note that musketeers are "strong against heavy foot", looks like just more Rock-Paper-Scissors.

Curse you AOK! Developers, quit copying AOK!

I also think it is a little hopeless to try to make a game that will please both RTS and TBS players. Some people enjoy both, but die-hard RTS people won't have the patience for TBS elements, and die-hard TBS people won't have the speed for RTS elements.

Just how I see it, of course.
                        Good = Love, Love = Good
                        Evil = Hate, Hate = Evil

Comment

this game looks identical to Empire Earth
                          ==========================
                          www.forgiftable.com/

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.

Comment

I don’t think that Brian Reynolds would start his own company with a AOE clone. He would be spelling death to his plans if he would do it.

From what I could see, it seems that they are going for a hybrid approach. Some elements would be essentially TBS (empire management) and others would be RTS (combat on a tactical level). In fact, this is what BR himself seems to indicate:

quote:

"It's not so much that we've taken real-time strategy and jammed the kitchen sink into it. We looked at real-time strategy and took what we thought were the really fun things."

I’m sure that BR can bring new ideas and features to an already exhausted genre. So far, I like the graphics, and some of the ideas seem pretty interesting. Of course, as Yin said, the devil is in the details, and I would have to play the game to see how it performs.

But one thing reveals a good sign of things to come: the game, as it is now, seems playable, and won’t be released until 2003, which means that the development team will have probably an entire year to fine tune it. And this means a game with fewer bugs and properly finished.

Sure, I never liked RTS games. Maybe I’ll give Rise of Nations a try. We’ll see.

I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Age of the Rise of Empire Nations

Maybe CivII and SMAC were just flukes?
                              "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
                              -- C.S. Lewis

Comment

Working...
                              X