Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chassis Idea: Balloon; Improvement Idea: Balloon Defence.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something to think of. I say include the balloon/zeppelin chassis first, and worry about playbalance issues like whether it can be a trader or settler later.

Having said that, I don't think it would be tough to playbalance it for trade. It's going to cost a helluva lot more to put a zep into freight service than a few camels or trucks. And it's not like you would gain a trade bonus.. you'd just have the advantage of being able to travel overseas without having to build a separate transport.

And as for realism, I should think a zep is certainly going to be able to carry the same load as a caravan of camels! Anyone know how many passengers the Hindenburg could carry? (And I'll bet you it was ferrying cargo/luggage/mail too.)

As a unit transport, it's it should probably not be able to carry more than one unit, but again, there's the trade-off... sure you can transport units, but are you going to want to take it into enemy land where it can be easily shot down?

[This message has been edited by hHydro (edited December 08, 2000).]
    Don't like to wait? Program your own bloody game.

Comment

Hell, I don't even want trading units, but if they're put in I'd like to see the whole gamut of them. Yes, trading by sea is chaeper, but if you want to go overland, that's not an option. Trains would probably be better, but you have to lay down track the entire way. Apart from railrods, airships would probably beat out any other type of ground transport.

The uses for airships are as follows.
      Trading: easier to move through rough territory than trains.
      Bombing: good predecesor to heavy bomber planes.
      Transport: Probably only for infantry and light vehicles.

Bear in mind, their window of use for military purposes is pretty damned short. They really only got good enough to do anything in the years just before WW1 and for perhaps a decade after. After that, they're just too easily shot down. But for trade and supply, they'd be great.

--
      Jared Lessl

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by jdlessl on 12-09-2000 01:01 AM
        They're just too easily shot down.

Again: it would take a LOT of ammunition to shoot down a modern Airship. You will have to see them first, too. And they might just come protected by Fighters if you do.

------------------
        If you have no feet, don't walk on fire
        A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...
        Project Lead of Might and Magic Tribute

Comment

and as for the 'window' of usefulness, that all depends how the tech race is going. As I said above, just because zeppelins were overlooked in favour of planes in our earth's timeline, doesn't mean it has to happen in the game.

In these games, I've seen tanks facing musketeers, I've seen wonders built and then rendered useless 20 turns later by another civ's advancement.. in SMAC, I've seen AAA defensive units enter service before the first plane is built.. so there's no reason not to do something just because it didn't quite work that way in our history.
          Don't like to wait? Program your own bloody game.

Comment

Historical "balloons" were used during WW2, to warn of air raids. They did nothing for the defence, they just gave about a half hour warning of an air raid.

Comment

BUMP
              "I agree with everything i've heard you recently say-I hereby applaud Christantine The Great's rapid succession of good calls."-isaac brock
              "This has to be one of the most impressive accomplishments in the history of Apolyton, well done Chris"-monkspider (Refering to my Megamix summary)
              "You are redoing history by replaying the civs that made history."-Me

Comment

Radar does the same job, and much better. So do a bunch of forward observers or scouting airplanes with radios; only under unusual circumstances would balloons be of real use, and even then this wouldn't be well represented by the civ combat model.

The thing about radar is that it comes maybe 20 or 30 turns too late. Of course, it can take half that long just to build up a decent bombing fleet, so again you run into the frigate problem. By the time you actually build them, they're nearly obsolete.

--
                Jared Lessl

Comment

hmmm...never had that problem with Frigates really...

in fact, a great number of my seiges against enemy civs have been through Frigates. Usually I find an unsuspecting civ with mostly coastal cities and phalanxes to defend them...and then I crush them in around 10 turns.

------------------
                  Civilization Gaming Network Forums
                  ~ The Apolyton Yearbook
                  ~ The poster formerly known as "OrangeSfwr"
                  "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
                  You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

If we're going for shorter turns, more techs and more units then a recon balloon and a bomber baloon make an interesting inclusion. I'm not so sure about military transport - for balloons to transport entire units you'd need to build a fleet of them. I don't think there was ever any suggestion of that being viable. Shifting diplomats, spies and other specials would certainly be possible.
                    To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                    H.Poincaré

Comment

Working...
                    X