Monitor size limitations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor size limitations

Hello. I have a friend who recently bought Civ 3 after playing Civ 2 for many years. His display settings on his laptop limit him to 800 x 600, insufficient to run the game. Is there anyway that he can get around this or is he stuck with a useless game? Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

I haven't tried it, but there is a command line option suggested in the readme.txt file, added after the manual was printed.

Here is the extract:

* Ini file tweaks: The first time Civilization III is run, it will create a file called 'civilization3.ini'. The following lines can be added and allow you to tweak the game:

*KeepRes=1 - When set to 1, your desktop resolution will be what the game uses. 1024x768 screens will be centered, but you will be able to see much more of the map on one screen.
    *NoSound=1 - Disables all sound in-game.
    *Video Mode=1792 / Video Mode=1600 / Video Mode=1280 / Video Mode=1152 - Force screen resolution to one of these settings. *

My feeling is that this will _not_ work for the resolution you want.

Godd luck anyway.
    Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

No, all the main graphics, i.e. city screen etc, have been designed for 1024 X 768 minimum. So any resolution smaller than that won't fit on the screen. KeepRes only allows you to use higher resolutions, not smaller. I'm afraid that most lap top users are SOL.

Comment

I'm having a problem running civ3 with two monitors. If my secondary monitor runs in 800x600, civ crashes.

Do you guys have any experience with civ3 and multiple monitors?

Comment

And... What about the font smothing for play ?
          Traigo sueños, tristezas, alegrías, mansedumbres, democracias quebradas como cántaros,
          religiones mohosas hasta el alma...

Comment

So if I want to start Civ3 while I'm using 800x600 resolution, the game will crash, instead of changing to a higher res? Funny...

I never tried to do that, because I use 1024x768 resolution.
            I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

I have experienced the multiple-monitor problem as well and I found a work-around for it. Civ3, for some reason, refuses to start properly with more than one monitor set up in Windows. So what I do is temporarily disable the second monitor in the Display Properties control panel, start Civ3 and load my game, then re-enable the second monitor. It's cumbersome, but it does work.
              The Electronic Hobbit

Comment

Working...
              X