Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BAC: Dawn of the Protectorate

Prologue

2074: It has been 14 years since the UNS Unity has been launched, and things have gone from bad to worse. A great War in the Eastern Hemisphere has caused most of Europe to descend into chaos. Russia is controled by the brutal Tsar Vasily, who uses the now massive arable Siberia to feed his people.

In the Western Hemisphere, the United States has permantly fractured. Indeed, many states have left the Union, seeing it's Impotence. The most powerful of these rogue states was Texas, the Lonestar Republic.

After defeating a invading Mexican Army in 2063, Arizona, New Mexico, and Colorado petitioned for entry into what seemed to be the only stable power on the North American Continent. Even then, the Texan Government made plans to send their own mission to Alpha Centauri, a follow on to the Unity. After a half hearted objection from the remnants of the United Nations, the Endeavor's construction began in orbit.

The colonists would be 15,000 strong, more than the Unity mission. The Fusion drive was refined by University of Houston physicist Louis Wu into something more viable.

Now, after 11 years of planning and constrcution, the Endeavor is ready to launch, as another dsperate gamble for Humanity....
    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

USS Endeavor, Sol System

The ship shuddered again as the engines fired. The Endeavor was now well past the moon and heading on it's way out the Alpha Centauri.

The Senior Staff was assembled in the CnC. Captain Burton, The ships XO Cmdr. Tarwater, Lt. Cmdr Ian McDiarmid(formerly Major General) head of Security, Dr. Schneider the head of the science Department, and Dr. Jessica McDiarmid, who was the mission's Industrial engineer, tasked with building a econmy from the ground up. The Ship's Head Surgeon was busily preparing the last stasis tubes for the senior staff.

Grinning, Captain Burton spoke.

"Well, we finally made it." He paused, then continued. "In about two hours, the rest of us are going into a deep sleep. When we wake up, 38 years will have passed, and we'll be at a new world."

"A New World...something our ancestors did. Something we do now, to go to a better place. I just thought I would wish all y'alls good luck, before you went into the deep sleep."

Burton stopped smiling, appeared serious. "Alright, enough of this small talk, let's go."
    -------------------------------------

"Well, Mrs. McDiarmid, I suppose I'll see you in 40 years." Ian was grinning, they had gotten married a few days before the launch.

He was a big man, and had a kindly humor about him. He certainly didn't look like someone who led armies in bloody battles.

"And I'll see you then, Mr. McDiarmid." Jessica gave him a last kiss, then lowered herself into her stasis tube. Ian did the same. A medic began sticking various needles in him.

As the cold gel washed over his body, he thought. God, I hope we can get it right this time..

Then Darkness.
    --------------------------------

Feburary, 2081

Ulkesh watched the Human vessel, and smiled. He was the overseerer of Humanity, and it was his duty to see that they grew and prospered. Already, he had made arrangements for the Unity to suffer a accident, thus aiding in the creation of multiple Human Nationstates on Chiron.

And now, Humanity had surprised him and the rest of the Fraal once more. Another ship, this one more stoutly built than the Unity, was heading toward Chiron. If those colonists arrived, it would throw the experiment into chaos. That must not be allowed.

Ulkesh's large black eyes glanced down at his instrutments. Fortunatly, there were other options. Create another Human civilization, isolated from the rest of Humanity. What a Experiment that would be!

It was a simple task locating a wormhole, even Humans knew of their existance. It was quite another to epand it's size to allow anything larger than a atom through, but it was easily down with Fraal technology.

The Blue wormhole opened up, and the Endeavor fell in. It's Bussard Ramjet, built for collecting fuel for it's Fusion Drive, was ripped to shreds.

Ulkesh sent a message, notifying the rest of the Fraal Nation what he had done, and continued to watch the Unity.
    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

March, 2081

The world seemed to swirl into existance for Ian. As he opened his eyes, he was hit bt a blinding light. A far-off voice said "Slowly, Cmdr. McDiarmid."

Very slowly, he opened his eyes. The Mission's head surgeon, Dr. Griffin was standing overhim. He looked pretty bad himself, and Ian remembered the Medics had to "wake" themselves up. Not fun.

"Wha...are we here?

"There's...been a complicatiion, only the command staff and a few Engineers have been awoken. Captain Burton wants you in the briefing room as soon as possible."

"Jessica?"

"You'll have to clear that with the Captain sir."

Ian nodded and hopped off the bed, steadying himself as a wave of dizzyness hit him. "Careful." Griffin said, absentmindedly.
      -------------------------

As Ian walked into the Briefing room, he sat down and turned to the ship's XO. "They woke you, Laurence? I wouldn't have thought 'XO' was important enough for a 'complication'."

"Harhar." Tarwater said. He looked like crap. Come to that, everyone looked like crap. I probaly do too, Ian mused.

"Alright, now that Cmdr. McDiarmid is here, we can begin." Burton took a deep breath. "We're off course. We will not be heading to Alpha Centauri."

A lump of Ice formed in Ian's stomach. Off Course? Then why did he wake us? Couldn't Dr. Schnieder have altered the course by himself? Are we going to die, alone in the void of space?

Burton continued. "In addition...our Bussard Ramjet has been damged beyond repair. We...our options are few."

"What happened?" Ian whispered.

Dr. Samuel Schneider spoke up. "We're not entirely sure, excatly, but sometime last month we seemed to have accerlated and covered 22 lys in a matter of days."

"Twenty-two Light years." Tarwater murmered. "Okay, where are we?"

Schneider looked at the Captain for permission, who nodded. "Beta Hydri. We're...extremely high on the z-axis of the Galactic Disc. Far, far away from earth or Chiron."

There was a silence in the room, then Ian murmered. "Jesus."

"Actually," Schneider said, "That may have been entirely possible. Beta Hydri is a G-type star. In addition, the fourth planet, roughly half way between what would have been the orbit between Mars and Earth, is Earthlike. Very Earthlike, possible more so than Chiron."

"Are you saying..." Tarwater's voice trailed off.

Schneider looked at the Captain again, who nodded, again.

"Commander...I've already awoken young Dr. Pym. He's in the launch bay preparing several probes. Astrogater Hansen is already manuevering the Endeavor on a path that will bring us in orbit of BH 4."

"Are you saying," Tarwater's face suddenly flushed as he glared at the Captain. "That you decided all this without consulting the command staff? Or Colony Admin, for that matter?"

"Perhaps, Laurence," Ian spoke softly "You'd rather we wander the stars until we have a unfortante encounter with an Asteroid? My God, it really is a gift!"

"Larry," Burton spoke, his voice flat, "I'll overlook this outburst, because you have all sorts of poisons running in your body. So, I'll let you two go while I confer with Dr. Schneider some more. Exercise, it isn't healthy to have the stuff in your body for long. I'll sned a message to you on the ship's network in about a hour or so, notifying you of when our next meeting is. Dissmissed."

Tarwater stood and stormed out. Incredibly, Ian thought. Doesn't he see it? It's a gift! We won't have to compete with the Unity colonists, won't be under any pressure to abide by the UN Charter.

Turning to the Captain, he said "Skipper...I'm sorry,can I..I mean..." he sounded most unlike a commander of armies, which got him this job.

"I guess you can go ahead and revive Jessica. I bet you're anxious to get on your Honeymoon?" Burton winked.

"Uh, thank you sir...should I tell Dr. Griffin or...?"

"I'll tell him. Make sure you exercise and get a good nights sleep though. You'll be needing it, these next few weeks."

Comment

April, 2081

For the past month, the Endeavor's senior staff and th now awakened Colony Administration worked like animals. making plans for the Landing on BH 4, and what to tell the colonists when they were awoken.

Executive Officer Tarwater intially was livid that there would be no attempt to reach Chiron. During the intervening time he had mellowed somewhat. Wagers were being placed among the awakened crew as to whether he had a lover on the Unity or something. Ian had checked his security file, but nothing turned up.

Finally, on April 1st, April Fool's day, The Endeavor entered orbit of BH 4.

------------------------------------------------------

Ian zipped up his Northface coat. The intial probes had indicated BH4 resembled Earth in it's last Ice Age.

Grinning, he turned to Jessica and said. "I'm going to miss you, Honey."

She shook her head as she laughed, her black hair coming out of it's French Braids. "I bet you will. Ian, you've wanted to do this for as long as I've known you. Try not to catch any bugs on the surface."

"Nah, I'll leave that to Doctor Muir." He nodded up the ramp of the shuttle, where the Missions Xenobiologist, a lifelong member of the Sierra Club, was already strapped in and ready to go. He leaned his head down and kissed her. "I'll miss ya babe."

There was a shout from inside the Heavy lift shuttle Copernicus/

"Hurry up Commander! Lets get this show on the road!"

Ian gave Jessica one last hug and ran up the ramp. She left the cavernous landing bay.

Strapping into his seat, with his bag of stuff secure in the overhead compartment, he gave the thumbs up to Captain Burton, who leaned forward and said. "Let's go, Ensign!"

The Ramp closed and the shuttle's engines fired. The Copernicus exited the Endeavor, and veered toward the blue Marble bellow.

My God, Ian thought, We should have brought a Poet.

Comment

Beta Hydri 4

A cold breeze like nothing Ian had felt since childhood crossed his face. He turned around, trying to take in the sights. It was so Green! And off in the distance, Snowcapped Mountains. When was the last time there were snowcapped mountains on Earth? A long time ago, that's for sure.

He had brought a AR-34 Rifle, in case the wildlife was unfriendly, but he was beginning to suspect he didn't need it. The Copernicus had landed on the Eastern side of the central plains of the Northern continent. To the East were the mountains. To the West....

An eternal horizon. And endless, endless herd Animals. Huge, wooly Rhino-like creatures. Bison-like animals. ****gy Antelope that bounced around like Pronghorns.

Was this what North America was like, two Hundred years ago? Ian remebered something he heard once, "There was a time when a Warrior could walk from Horizon to Horizon on the backs of Buffalo." He hadn't believed it then, but he did now.

The scenery seemed to have the same effect on Everyone. Captain Burton, Colonial Governor Greene, Dr. Muir, Dr. Pym. Even Tarwater seemed to be in awe.

Jesus, Ian thought, This was what Earth was like?

"Governor!" Ian heard Dr. Pym's voice and turned. Henry Pym was something of a Genius, he had a Doctorate in Geology, Ecological Engineering, and Electrical Engineering. Ian often mused that the only othe two people in history who could have been his equals were Leonardo da Vinci and Benjamin Franklin.

A glittery rock flew from Dr. Pym's hands and into Governor Greene's.

"What is it?" Greene held it up, the landing party were starting to form a circle around Pym and Greene. Pym grinned wide.

"It's proof....that there are no advanced species on this planet. It's Native Copper, easily found on the ground. But if there were metalworkers on BH 4..."

"Then it wouldn't be just lying around." Ian finished. He scratched his chin. A whole Planet! Just for us 15,000. We don't have to share it with anyone, not the Unity colonists, not any natives. Hot Damn.

"I hope," Dr. Muir's voice seemed to carry over into the cold breeze, "That everyone here remembers our History. We cannot spoil this. We have been given a second chance by a Greater power than our own."

Captain Burton nodded. "Don't worry Doctor, the sins of the past are behind us. Humanity learns from history, and we won't make the same mistakes twice."

Comment

The Capitol, Nuevo San Antonio, Beta Hydri 4
            Feburary, 2082

The Blizzard whirled around outside, making a ghostly wail. When he had seen the first blizzard...back in October, Ian had been on the verge of panicing. Now, he was used to it, and even enjoyed staying inside while the snow came down.

The Past ten months had been frantic. Most of the new structures built were made out of Brick, including the Capitol building, whose design was based on the Ancient Virginian Hous of Burgesses building Williamsburg. 2 km or so down the road, the Presidential Palace was under construction. (althout all work had effectively stopped for the winter). It to was brick, and based upon the Governors Palace in Williamsburg.

Nuevo San Antonio had a decidedly colonial feel. There were several Brick dorms scattered around the city, which reminded him of the Quad at Texas A&M.

Ian fingered his olive drab uniform, a variation of the Texan Militia one he had once wore. Colonel McDiarmid, head of the Hydrian Republic's Civil Defense Forces. Wasn't much need for a standing army.

He sat at one end of the Table in the Commitee of the Interior's chambers, by far the most important commitee in the Senate. He had been asked to observe fmr. Endeavor Executive Officer Tarwater's proposal.

Tarwater stood up.

"Distuinguished Senators, I'm am pleased you have granted me an audience. I know you have many things to do.." There were some chuckles. Not in this weather! "... and so your schedule is busy. I will be brief; I wish to establish a colony on the northern shore of the continent to the southeast of us."

There were some murmers, and President Greene looked as if he had to contain himself from speaking. He must have already known about this.

Senator Stark, the commitee chair, scratched his Goatee. "Cmdr. Tarwater..."

"Private Citizen Tarwater, Senator."

"Very well, Citizen Tarwater... I presume you've got a exact spot laid out?"

Tarwater lifted a PADD and tapped a few buttons. "The details of the proposal should be in your handhelds now."

Ian looked down at his. It was ambitious, to say the least. 1500 colonists in a area the closest to anything tropical (actually, more like subtropical on this iceball) on BH4. There were some mountains 50 km east of the location (which had already been named "The Smokies") that were believed to have a wealth of minerals. A small biological research station. (which had been plannned anyway)

Senator Stark leaned forward and said "Citizen Tarwater... surely you know how important it is for us to remain togather at this early juncter?"

"Senator, We cannot, as they say, put all our eggs in one basket."

"I assume you have volunteers in mind? This commitee, nor the Senate for that matter, will support forced transfer there."

"I have a few who've indicated they would be interest, Senator."

"A few?"

"Well, 800 or so."

There were more murmerings in the stands, and Ian knew Tarwater would get his wish. At the very least, it would get him out of everyone's hair. Stark was conferring with everyone else on the commitee. Finally, his Text message appeared on Ian's Handheld.

Commitee Recommendation: Yea or Nay?

He chose "nay". This was a disaster waiting to happen. Stark looked disgusted, and then spoke to Tarwater.

"Citizen Tarwater...it is the recommendation of this commitee that you are given the full support of the Hydrian Government in this enterprise of yours. You will be contacted when the Senate puts it to a vote. Dissmissed."

Tarwater nodded, stood up. There was a glimmer of victory in his eyes. As he turned, one of the Senators said; "One last question Citizen Tarwater...do you have a name for your colony yet?"

He gave a thin smile and said "Sparta City".

Comment

The McDiarmid Household

"This is a excellant meal. I saulte the cook." Senator Anthony Stark made a exagerated Salute to Jessica. He glanced back down at his plate.

"I still would kill for a steak."

"Well," Ian began,"Most of the embyros have only just been thawed, so it will take awhile. You also no we still have restrictions on Quad-Horns and other native..."

"Yes Ian, I do." His face grew long. "I still cannot believe the Senate voted his way. It will bring disaster to us all."

Ian nodded. Yesterday Tarwater had brought his proposel before the senate itself, and appropiations had been made. Even worse, Tarwater was chosen as the intial governor of 'Sparta City.'

"Tony, does the name 'Sparta' mean anything to you?"

"Ancient Greek city, right? Very militaristic...naming the colony that sounds ominous."

"I agree, which is why, as head of the Hydrian Defense Force, I have to ask a favor of you."

"Name it."

"I'd like the Senate to block certain portions of the datalinks, specifically those regarding weapons designs, to only myself, Major Kolasklar, the President, and a select few of the Senate."

Stark reached into his pocket, then pulled out a Data Disc. "Already taken care of, my friend. You will need this to access it." He tossed it on the table, then he glanced at his watch.

"Jassica, as always you were a fine hostess. Thank you." A touch of sadness reached his eyes. Stark's wife had died shortly before launch. "Ian, I will be seeing you later."

Stark got up and walked towards the door. Ian ran forward and held it open. A blast of cold Air entered the house.

"Ahh...this is the weather Benjamin Franklin lived for." He winked at the McDiarmids and walked out. Ian shut the door.

Jessica leaned her head on Ian's shoulder. " Don't worry about it Babe. Tarwater is too much of an idiot to be sucessful."

Ian sighed. "So was Hitler."

Comment

Beta Hydri 3, March 2085

"My God, these ruins are incredible."

Ian down into the valley. He was standing on a mountain top that had a huge Obelisk, the xenoarcheologists were jokingly calling it "The Monolith", and he could see ships, Tamples...all sorts of amazing artifacts.

"We could spend Years and years here." Dr. Bucher said. He continued speaking. "And I mean Here, this Obelisk has amzaing properties.... bizarre quartzite material. And unusal Pictographs."

Ian walk forward toward the Obelisk. Soon he was right in front of it. Jessica would have loved this, he thought. Looking right at the 'eye', he grinned and said "What are you looking at?"

The 'eye' began to glow. There was some shouting from the archeology team. Ian saw a bright light, then nothing.

Comment

The shadows moved over Ian's face. Blinking back tears that were forming, he had a feeling of deja vu. Dr. Griffin was standing over him, as was Jessica and Senator Anthony Stark.

"Wh.." Ian was racked by a series of coughs. He could feel his throat closing up, and he had to struggle to regain control.

"Oh God." Jessica said. "We were so worried! I..."

Dr. Griffin interrupted. "Mrs. McDiarmid, if I may?" without waiting for a confirmation, he continued to speak. "Colonel, you're in the Public Hospital in Nuevo San Antonio. The Endeavor brought you back from BH3."

Ian stared blankly at him. "Wha.." more coughs.

"Please don't speak Colonel. You've been in a coma for 3 months. And we don't really know what happened." Dr. Griffin eyed Stark as if he shouldn't be here. Ian shook his head and muttered "Stay."

"Very well sir. We've since ran a complete Genetic scan and...well..it's something odd. You have...changed. rather dramatically. There are now six deviations from the Human Genetic code, but we think it won't expand from that. Sir... by UN definations, you are not even Human anymore."

"What..."

"We don't know sir. Dr. Bucher and his team have examed the Monolith, and now believe a energy pulse with 'fired' nanoprobes at you, if such a thing is possible. His expedition is still on BH3."

Jessica opened her mouth as if to speak. Griffin held up a hand.

"Please Ma'am, I need to finish this. Colonel, I want you to stay here for a few weeks. You've gone through a bizarre encounter with alien technology, and we have no idea what will happen now that you are concisous." Dr. Griffin looked around.

"Oh God Ian," Jessica whispered, "Say something!" There was a look of panic in her eyes...

Ian leaned forward and gave a smile. "How about a Dr. Pepper?"
                  --------------------

Sparta

Governor Tarwater watched the platoon of Spartans run in block formation across the quad. He smiled, thought, the Hydrian Civil Defense force would be no match for him when the time came.

Tarwater closed his eyes. Had it really been so many years since the riots in Los Angeles? He remembered that woman, Santiago. She had been his first conquest (whether he had been conquered never entered his mind) and the events leading up to joining the survivalist militia known as the Spartan Coalition. His cell had expanded rapidly in the American Southwest, and he had seemed a shoo-in to lead the Spartan Cell on the Unity. But that woman, Santiago, had been chosen to lead the Unity cell. Tarwater had joned the Endeavor mission in the hope of reaching Her on Chiron.

After the UN mission left, the United States began it's final disintegration. Europe fell prey to Tsar Vasily's Novaya Russia. The strongest power in North America became Mexico, whcih invaded Texas and New Mexico in 2061.

Tarwater's Cell expanded into a true army, composed of former National Guard units. He had expelled the Mexican Army from New Mexico in '62, but Ian McDiarmid's great mobilization of Texans and the grand defense of San Antonio had stolen the glory. He would be the primary obstacle when the time came.

Tarwater scowled, thinking of the failure of his agent on the BH3 expedition to eliminate McDiarmid. For awhile, it look as if it worked. Now, according to the newsfeeds the good Colonel has returned to the land of the living.

Tarwater looked out onto the quad again. It may take years, but I will rule this planet. And then, I will find someway to contact the Spartans on Chiron.

Comment

May, 2089

"Ah! 'Where have the the snows of yesteryear gone?'"

Ian chuckled at Senator Starks comment. "On this planet? I imagine they're piled up on the side of the streets, like the rest of them."

Over the past four years since the incident on BH3, Ian had felt...changes. If he concentrated, he could read the thoughts of others around him. On one occasion, while he and Jessica were..."playing in Bed", they had found themselves floating a foot off the bed.

Dr. Pym had a field day with it. And Tony Stark, who had seen enough weird stuff to not be fazed, made endless jokes about it. But since the incident, Jessica had seemed more...skittish around him. Ian found it depressing.

Stark waved out the cafe's window, towards the south. "So, great and mighty Colonel, what are you going to do about Governor Tarwater? He's building a army down there. And, if the satillite photos are correct, a Air Force."

Ian sighed. Tarwater. More and more these past few years, he had been turning his city into a fascist state, and orbital photos indicated he was in the process of building a well armed army and air force.

But the Senate wouldn't do anything about it, paralyzed by the fears of recreating Earth's problems on Beta Hydri 4. The longer they dallied, the less resources they gave Ian and the Civil Defense Forces, the greater the likelyhood that Tarwater could take over the planet with a slingshot.

"I have a few ideas of how we could put a crimp in his operation early on...but those incompetants in the Senate...no offense intended.."

Stark grinned. "I work with them everyday."

" Are crippling ourselves. Enough fools who think that if we take a strong hand with Tarwater, we would somehow bring back the 'horrors' of earth. My God, they're a bunch of Chamberlains. A bunch of Gores. They'll lead us to destruction."

"Appeasers all. Ian, you've been, uh, darker these past few months. Anything you need to talk about?"

Besides a wife who's terrified of me? "No," Ian said, "Not at all."

Comment

Sparta, June 2089

Governor Laurence Tarwater scowled and killed the image on the screen. Turning to the assembled Spartan leaders, he spoke.

"Comments?"

One of his lieutenants, Manuel Zahivar, spoke. " Jefe, it is a bluff, you know it, I know it. Such a measure will never pass in the senate. No matter how popular Stark is."

"Stark," growled "Education Director" Gavrison "...and his dog McDiarmid. We have been lucky so far, Mannie, but remember, those two are war heros. Eventually, they may opt to strong-arm President Greene."

Manuel rolled his eyes. "They will do no such thing! Both McDiarmid and Stark believe too much in democracy. No, if they cannot get their inspections-bill passed they won;'t take any action. As if the Civil Defense Force has the power to enforce such a matter."

Tarwater stared at the two for a brief moment, thought, these men fought with me in the Old Southwest. They know how to fight. McDiarmid may have gotten the glory for his defense of San Antonio, but he is a political officer.

Tarwater cleared his through, and turned to a third advisor. "We'll continue this later, Jeb, how goes the digging operation?"

Jeb Kolby shrugged. "Well, it seems that artifact our agent on BH3 sent back is legit. There is something giving off radiation under that mountain. Whether it's natural or not, I cannot say."

Gavrison looked towards Tarwater. "Sir, if we were to move now, we might be able to take over Beta Hydri 4 before the CDF could fully mobilized."

Tarwater's eyes seemed faraway, as his mind wandered to Chiron, where the other Spartans were.

"No. We stick to the plan. Even if it takes ten years. If what we think is down there is down there, it will gaurentte our dominance of BH4"

Comment

Working...
                      X