Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Next story contest? Fave story? Nominations!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next story contest? Fave story? Nominations!

I've read a lot of great stories here and new ones are coming out all the time. Will there be another story contest soon? Any one know when we'll have the chance to nominate stories?

Unofficially, please post any nominations you want to make here. Perhaps we could compile a "must read" list of stories?

Here are some of my recommendations:

1. The means & the ends by Richelieu
    Starts off with the end of the story and then cuts to the start. You start off wondering how it goes from the situation at the start to the one at the end, but on the way you get so caught up in the story that you almost forget that you already know how it ends. The story races to a finish and there's a very CivIII-esque twist. Gotta love it.

2. Bicentennary of the German Communist Republic by sgrig
    Written in a very clever style mixing in military reports and secret operational policies. A wonderful section with an interview with a Persian reporter. The whole thing is written in a way that you can see the obvious biases (put there on purpose) of the German civilization. Highly entertaining. Well-written. Pretty good content/plot.

3. Canton National Historic Battlefield by Coinich
    A good story with decent content - but what really stands out is the way that Coinich sets this up. You really get the feel that you're taking a tour of this historic sight. You can just imagine the empty fields pockmarked with old ruins and meandering tourists while a tour guide narrates in voice-over and you read the little signs and display boards. I almost got the feeling near the end that it was going to rain soon and I had better run to get back to the tour bus! Setting it up as a historic sight does have its downfall though - it's a bit dry. Still, that really only lends to the historic flavour. Skim it over and you still get a good appreciation for it.

But hey, that's just my opinion, why don't you read and decide for yourselves?
    Captain.
    Proud Citizen of the Civ 3 Demo Game
    Retired Justice of the Court, Staff member of the War Academy, Staff member of the Machiavelli Institute
    Join the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game! ~ Play the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game!
    Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

LOL, I better start working on my story writing soon... Maybe I should focus less on my Drakonian dream world, and a bit more on the human reality world, eh?

Comment

Let me add Steele's story about WW1 to my list of recommendations, even though it's not complete yet.

Love the curve thrown into what I thought was going to be just another flag waver... it's not.

So far, very intriguing...

P.S. I'm not including any of the stories that have already won the last story contest.
      Proud Citizen of the Civ 3 Demo Game
      Retired Justice of the Court, Staff member of the War Academy, Staff member of the Machiavelli Institute
      Join the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game! ~ Play the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game!
      Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Comment

Hey, just a suggestion for ya...

ike0481 wrote a bunch of stories that never made it to the contest...shamefully. You may have to back several pages in the forum, but they are worth your time.

Also, anything written by president mike. His stories came out BEFORE the contest. THey are among the first posts in this forum, and they are incredible.

It is a shame that a lot of wonderful stories have been buried by time here at apolyton. If you want to create a must read list, go back and check some of them out.
        'Ice cream makes computers work better! Just spoon it in..."

Comment

i nominate grundels iroquois story...didnt have time to finish it but what i read was really good!

Comment

Bassman's "If only..." was probally the best Ive read. I liked the bicentary of the german people too though

Comment

if only is good too ...a lot of good ones out there!

Comment

I also nominate Death of the russians/crazy lincoln by curlyboy24 (1 story on 2 threads)

Comment

also hunting season by cbraund

Comment

I nominate bassman's "Rodina-the Motherland". I found that story fantastic!

Comment

No one likes Grecian?

WAAAA!

And I worked so hard, too!

Comment

Steele's about WW1
                        Traigo sueños, tristezas, alegrías, mansedumbres, democracias quebradas como cántaros,
                        religiones mohosas hasta el alma...

Comment

I just finished reading Grecian, and i really liked it, I nominate Grecian. It made me get back to my story, and not many stories do that for me.
                          "I'm desperately trying to figure out why kamikaze pilots wore helmets."

Comment

Working...
                          X